Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5n28hpMFBE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
"Getting".

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk7eyqY4bbQ

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

King Possum III posted:

Deep Space Nine was the best Star Trek series of them all.

It had better direction, better story lines, and better character development than the others. The war with the Dominion led to some unexpected events. The private war between Odo and Quark was especially enjoyable.

The least popular one is also the best one. The first season is a little slow in spots but they find their footing and it owns. It's almost the anti-Trek: It can't stop poking holes in all the smug bullshit, on purpose.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm never gonna watch the new show because I don't have the dumb CBS streaming thing and I live in America so it won't be on Netflix like the rest of the civilized world.

DS9 was really good.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I'm never gonna watch the new show because I don't have the dumb CBS streaming thing and I live in America so it won't be on Netflix like the rest of the civilized world.

i know right wtf is that about

im just going to pirate it, idiot CBS

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Blazing Ownager posted:

The least popular one is also the best one. The first season is a little slow in spots but they find their footing and it owns. It's almost the anti-Trek: It can't stop poking holes in all the smug bullshit, on purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VhSm6G7cVk

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Rutibex posted:

Yeah but whenever they talk about how much blood gull Dukat has on his hand it's always"thousands" of Bajorins dead, not "millions" or "billions".

Gul Dukat was firm but fair. Pretty sure George w Bush has more blood on his hands that Gul Dukat.

So what youre saying is that gul dukat did nothing wrong? You loving sicken me.

Seriously though you're half right. Given the cardassian national character, the bajorans got of easy with dukat. But being the most friendly, charming nazi still makes you a nazi. Dude was responsible for the enslavement of an entire species, the strip-mining of their homeworld, literal death camps, and he had his own enslaved harem of comfort women. There are some forms of evil that go beyond measurement by counting corpses. He was the head of a planetary holocaust. Humans are pretty evil and poo poo and even WE haven't made it that far yet.

I'd still let him gently caress me tho~

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

One of the best scenes in any trek, ever. Roddenberry can spin as fast as he wants. Everyone with the slightest aquaintence with any human governance could tell you that the federation is full of poo poo.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Gul Dukat's greatest sin is his failure to see himself for what he was. A slave of an oppressive government, a genocidal and decadant war lord, power-hungry until the very end.

Oh god but the episode where DS9's automated security protocols engage and it's just seven pre-recorded Gul Dukat messages, culminated with a pre-recorded message addressed directly to him from an even higher-up rear end in a top hat. It's goddamned hilarious, maybe my favorite episode of the show.

"ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
DS9 peaked in season 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVHR0UPHERQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y2dBhj8sOM

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

https://youtu.be/nrbo39Lw-r4

Gul Dukat appreciates butt-humor, even when it is at his expense. :waycool:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Amazingly classy episode. Cardassians get all the best actors. The writers managed a really sensitive, better-angels take on genocide with it, too. Even eternal megabitch Kira can't help but be moved.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Nathilus posted:

gently caress you.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Mirror Universe Kira is amazing in nearly every scene she's in.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Mirror Universe Kira is amazing in nearly every scene she's in.

would marry her

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nathilus posted:

Amazingly classy episode. Cardassians get all the best actors. The writers managed a really sensitive, better-angels take on genocide with it, too. Even eternal megabitch Kira can't help but be moved.

Just remember that the best episode of the series was a bottle episode that the main writers / showrunners didn't give a poo poo about.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

Riker is the only legitimately bad rear end character in all of TNG, DS9 or Voyager.

Wrong there is one other: also known as voyagers only redeeming quality: tuvok

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like tuvok is so sadly overlooked, you could just tell if given a chance on a real show he'd easily be just as bad rear end as DS9 worf minus the emotional drama

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

I feel like tuvok is so sadly overlooked, you could just tell if given a chance on a real show he'd easily be just as bad rear end as DS9 worf minus the emotional drama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhNQ9cv5K7Q

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lmao irl

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
There's an episode of TNG where Riker is trapped on an alien planet, and the only way this alien chick will help him escape is if he bones down on her. Dude is baller.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
DS9 was the high water mark for Star Trek and I doubt anything will ever change my mind. That being said I don't recommend it to anyone now because holy poo poo there are a lot of embarrassingly bad parts. The last seasons of DS9 and Angel are my constant rewatch guilty pleasures that are just for me.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
The original star trek with kirk and spoke 8s really good and fun to watch because there is humor and it's sorta cheesy but not in a wink wink campy way just in a cool way. Also cool monsters and the crew members are like a cool happy family

Literally every other single piece of media with the words star trek on it has been utter filth garbage for trash bag heads

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
I miss Data :( He could technically appear in future Trek shows since his and android and doesn't age but the actor sure does. Him and Geordi were a really cool pair of friends.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Doesn't the data guy hate star trek, or all sci-fi in general? I remember hearing something like that. It's a shame because he's so beloved.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Wicker Man posted:

Doesn't the data guy hate star trek, or all sci-fi in general? I remember hearing something like that. It's a shame because he's so beloved.

I've never heard of him saying anything like that. All the quotes from him I remember are him talking up the experience. But it's been his line for a pretty long time now that he wouldn't revisit data because he's aged out of the role.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Nathilus posted:

I've never heard of him saying anything like that. All the quotes from him I remember are him talking up the experience. But it's been his line for a pretty long time now that he wouldn't revisit data because he's aged out of the role.
he can still play often wrong

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I thought they added in that part of his programming included aging stuff like gray hair and his positronic balls getting lower.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
He already looks like an old lesbian plus they made him enjoy cats and oil painting jfc

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

criscodisco posted:

I thought they added in that part of his programming included aging stuff like gray hair and his positronic balls getting lower.

I think he mentions in an episode that he will not die or age. The one when he rescues that kid who then tries to imitate him I believe

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i would take girls on the holodeck for some love makin and have obrien beam their clothes out and geordi put holodeck versions into the simulation
then i would excuse myself and leave ahead of them

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
You can just tell the holodeck to make naked bitches for you you don't have to rely on subterfuge you know

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
you dont seem to understand my plan at all
your understanding of it is too encounter at farpoint and not enough elementary dear data

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
No I get it you invite your lady friend to a fun holodeck afternoon DVD when y'all are leaving their tube tops disappear. I'm just saying it's needlessly complicated.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Who needs ladies when you've got Vic Fontaine?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

criscodisco posted:

Brent looks a LOT different now, it's not just a matter of the old skunk stripe. These days he either looks like a menopausal bull dyke or an old rapist/mad scientist.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
he could play dr soong

e:

gary oldmans diary posted:

he can still play often wrong

oh damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

8 track betamax posted:

The original star trek with kirk and spoke 8s really good and fun to watch because there is humor and it's sorta cheesy but not in a wink wink campy way just in a cool way. Also cool monsters and the crew members are like a cool happy family

Literally every other single piece of media with the words star trek on it has been utter filth garbage for trash bag heads

Every time we bring up Star Trek, my father-in-law brings up how he watched the original show, and then the same story about how Nimoy and Shatner did some bad music along with some other TV stars and how him and the boys at work laughed about it, then he makes a Mel Brooks (the height of comedy which ne'er shall be reached again) reference and then goes back to flipping between the Red Zone and a couple other shows which seem to be the same thing.

• Locked thread