Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sphixcanada
Dec 16, 2012
Hey everyone,

I am in the middle of our AV refresh and the industry seems to be in the middle of a changing of the guard and I for one am lost.

We are currently using Sophos Enterprise Suite. AV, Encryption and Web Filter Appliance.

We are getting gouged on the refresh price so we are going out to market but since we last did a refresh the market has changed considerably.

Right now I am looking at:

Kaspersky Enterprise Endpoint Security | Advanced (http://usa.kaspersky.com/business-security/endpoint-advanced)

Dell Data Protection Endpoint Security Suite (http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/08/shared-content~data-sheets~en/documents~ddp-ess-enterprise-datasheet.pdf)

My main question is do Advanced Threat Prevention systems such as Dell ESSE (aka Cylance) do the same and/or better job than traditional AV (Kaspersky).

I cannot find much in the way of independent analysis of Dell ESSE vs the competition.

Dell is giving us a very very competitive price but I would like to be sure that it will actually work.

If anyone has worked with/tested Dell ESSE any opinions and/or information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Are you doing this to pass audits? If so, just get System Center Endpoint Protection. Third-party antivirus is universally garbage, enterprise or not, because they aren't going to detect any threats you couldn't eliminate by implementing good security policy and will instead slow your systems down and add attack vectors that actual serious threats will readily exploit.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

dpbjinc posted:

Are you doing this to pass audits? If so, just get System Center Endpoint Protection. Third-party antivirus is universally garbage, enterprise or not, because they aren't going to detect any threats you couldn't eliminate by implementing good security policy and will instead slow your systems down and add attack vectors that actual serious threats will readily exploit.

With the caveat that all av is garbage yeah you might as well install SCEP for audits.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Also keep isolated backups so you don't get owned by ransomware

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
kaspersky has some nice application whitelisting stuff, network attack detection, etc.. that goes beyond just definition based defense.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
If you have the cash (which it sounds like you don't), I would suggest Palo Alto TRAPS and putting the users behind a PA firewall with full subscriptions but that will likely cost you a poo poo ton. I recently did some test drives at the Palo Alto office and was thoroughly impressed with their offering (TRAPS is similar to CyLance in that it has Machine Learning and a bunch of other cool stuff while barely utilizing any CPU). For encryption I dunno we use TrueCrypt.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Sepist posted:

For encryption I dunno we use TrueCrypt.

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Oops, I meant VeraCrypt. Didn't even know TrueCrypt was a thing.

• Locked thread