Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
Sinclair
Sheridan
Hello old friend
View Results

• Locked thread
Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

There's a story about that last clip where Boxleitner calls himself Sinclair: It was getting late on the last day of filming and they didn't want to go past midnight because they'd have to start paying overtime; two "suits" from the network had shown up, ready to stop filming at the stroke of twelve. Director John C. Flinn wanted to do a good job because it was the first time he'd directed an episode, but with just minutes left they still hadn't finished. For the end of the scene to look good it needed multiple takes from different angles, but they only had time to do one take. So they started filming and Boxleitner called himself Sinclair. Everyone laughed, even the suits, and that's Flinn pretending to strangle him. They had to film past midnight but the mood was lightened and Flinn had time to film it the way he wanted. Peter David, who wrote the episode and was an extra in that scene, wondered if Boxleitner had deliberately flubbed his line because he knew Flinn needed more time. As a first-time director, he'd look bad if he went over, so Boxleitner made it his own fault. People have probably asked Boxleitner about that at conventions but I don't know if he's confirmed or denied it (or if he even remembers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nathilus posted:

G'kar's hate boner for londo is so perfect that it's almost sad how he learns forgiveness and poo poo even though his enlightenment is played perfectly. MOLLAAAAAAARIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!! :argh:

https://youtu.be/pD-SJh8szjA

That laugh was god tier

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Action Jacktion posted:

There's a story about that last clip where Boxleitner calls himself Sinclair: It was getting late on the last day of filming and they didn't want to go past midnight because they'd have to start paying overtime; two "suits" from the network had shown up, ready to stop filming at the stroke of twelve. Director John C. Flinn wanted to do a good job because it was the first time he'd directed an episode, but with just minutes left they still hadn't finished. For the end of the scene to look good it needed multiple takes from different angles, but they only had time to do one take. So they started filming and Boxleitner called himself Sinclair. Everyone laughed, even the suits, and that's Flinn pretending to strangle him. They had to film past midnight but the mood was lightened and Flinn had time to film it the way he wanted. Peter David, who wrote the episode and was an extra in that scene, wondered if Boxleitner had deliberately flubbed his line because he knew Flinn needed more time. As a first-time director, he'd look bad if he went over, so Boxleitner made it his own fault. People have probably asked Boxleitner about that at conventions but I don't know if he's confirmed or denied it (or if he even remembers).

I actually saw a clip with Boxleitner talking about that bit and he kept it pretty non-committal, just saying it was one of his favorite memories from B5. It's always struck me as a deliberate thing - Sinclair's a strange name to mention!

etalian posted:

That laugh was god tier

"So we must work together!"

"No!" :buddy:

So many good things.

"Can anyone hear me?!"

"I hear you!"

Or from the very end, when they're rescued.

"I hate my life."

"So do I."

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

That's a really good insight. The casting is superb, even if they're not the best actors, because they give it their all and they're bringing a lot of heart to the performances.

Take Jerry Doyle, the most recent of B5's dearly departed. The guy was basically playing himself and Doyle's self doesn't seem like the nicest person to be around. That story JMS mentions in the eulogy, of Jerry haranguing a guest star? That wasn't a no-name actor he was yelling at. It was one of their big name award-winning guest stars. He broke an arm on set during the filming of Severed Dreams and that footage was used.

Michael O'Hare, suffering from severe mental illness while playing a character with war-induced PTSD and a 'hole in his mind'. Jeff Conaway, playing a 2IC who was 'given a second chance' and was doing his best not to screw it up. Mira Furlan, Delenn, from war-torn Yugoslavia who then had a plot about her homeworld breaking into sectarian civil war. You could find something like that, some grey reflection, for every actor on the show, probably right down to a lot of the guest stars who, themselves, did wonderful things for the characters they played. Take, for example, Bester's distinctive 'dead' hand which was purely an invention of Walter Koenig.

B5's central message - that 'faith manages' - is only enhanced by the more you know about the show and the people involved. It's really quite remarkable.

I was just reading up about the cast and holy poo poo that show must be cursed.
In addition to the above, Claudia Christian(Ivanova) became a raging alcoholic and drug abuser, she's a teetotaler now which probably saved her life. Stephen Furst(Vir) was so sick with diabetes that he needed a kidney transplant, a B5 fan actually ended up donating one to him. Andrea Thompson(Talia) was stalked by a psycho for a year who repeatedly tried to break into her house.
Honestly you could probably count on one hand the number of the cast that came out of that show unscathed.

Action Jacktion posted:

Are there many instances where actors go to bat for a show like that?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Milky Moor posted:

I actually saw a clip with Boxleitner talking about that bit and he kept it pretty non-committal, just saying it was one of his favorite memories from B5. It's always struck me as a deliberate thing - Sinclair's a strange name to mention!

"So we must work together!"

"No!" :buddy:

So many good things.

"Can anyone hear me?!"

"I hear you!"

Or from the very end, when they're rescued.

"I hate my life."

"So do I."

The "we're in here" gkar does in the tiny voice never fails to crack me up.

But the best bit of raw acting in that scene is how gkar flows so perfectly from cracking the gently caress up to livid back to cracking up as he says, "You forget the terms of our surrender. Any centauri who is killed by a narn will be met with the DEATH OF A THOSAND NARNS INCLUDING THE PERPETRATORS OWN FAMILY!" and londo being visibly taken aback.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Nathilus posted:

The "we're in here" gkar does in the tiny voice never fails to crack me up.

But the best bit of raw acting in that scene is how gkar flows so perfectly from cracking the gently caress up to livid back to cracking up as he says, "You forget the terms of our surrender. Any centauri who is killed by a narn will be met with the DEATH OF A THOSAND NARNS INCLUDING THE PERPETRATORS OWN FAMILY!" and londo being visibly taken aback.

Absolutely. Katsulas was a legend.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Milky Moor posted:

He and Jurasik are Proof that a lot of really amazing actors are probably overlooked merely because they are not Baywatch models

The General
Mar 4, 2007

One thing I did like on B5 is how the windows get shuttered during battle. Can't have missiles and poo poo going through open windows.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Milky Moor posted:

He was a good Romulan too :v:

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Five pages of people admitting they watched the dogshit show known as babylon 5

:eyepop:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

vols bitch posted:

crusader.

There. Fixed that for you.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Good episode: the one where an Earthforce ship tries to wreck B5 and they swat it down with the big loving weapon upgrades Earthforce put in.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

vols bitch posted:

Alright, you got me, I've had sex too. I admit it.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

vols bitch posted:

G'Quan wrote, "Suck my dick you fuckman".

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

"suck my dick you fuckman" - ambassador kosh, babylon 5

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Milky Moor posted:

"suck my dick you fuckman" - ambassador kosh, babylon 5

Sheridan: whats in there?
Kosh:*weird suit noises, lights* one moment of perfect "suck my dick you fuckman"
Sheridan:*sighs, climbs into duct*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

vols bitch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRRI1WHlUcc&t=349s

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Nathilus posted:

Sheridan: whats in there?
Kosh:*weird suit noises, lights* one moment of perfect "suck my dick you fuckman"
Sheridan:*sighs, climbs into duct*

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The Centauri currency is 'ducets'. But in the grand old days of the Centauri Republic, they were known as "sucket my ducets you fuckets"

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Londo uses one of his penises to cheat at cards. Someone set a beer on it. :haw:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Helical Nightmares posted:

Garak would be cool on B5. Great actor, character.

The original writers' bible for B5 included a character named Mr. Jones. He'd work in the bazaar and would have a mysterious secret past, though there'd be different stories about who he really was. He could be dangerous to anyone in his way. Sometimes he'd help the crew but other times he'd work against them for his own purposes. Sound familiar? Nah, guess not.

Milky Moor posted:

It was Katsulas's idea for G'Kar to be laughing through the whole scene. I don't know if he thought of the little "I hear you" and "We're in here."

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 8, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Obviously I love that scene but I don't like it being posted in these threads. You gotta earn it.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Action Jacktion posted:

The original writers' bible for B5 included a character named Mr. Jones. He'd work in the bazaar and would have a mysterious secret past, though there'd be different stories about who he really was. He could be dangerous to anyone in his way. Sometimes he'd help the crew but other times he'd work against them for his own purposes. Sound familiar? Nah, guess not.

Goddamn I wish garak jones had stayed in

Londo: Tell me, Mr. Jones: out of all these stories you have told, which is true?

Jones: Why, all of them are true ambassador mollari.

Londo: Even the lies?

Jones: ESPECIALLY the lies.

Mollari grins, offers a fukkin toast.

(BTW mollari is so good and cool you are hearing the correct accent for him even just reading my fanfic. Weird huh?)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Obviously I love that scene but I don't like it being posted in these threads. You gotta earn it.

It's definitely more potent once you've seen the lead-up, what with g'kar's tenuous attempt at friendship getting utterly shattered and seeing him drat near lose his loving mind with rage and anguish. With all that background it is more than just hilarious and amazing acting. It's catharsis.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Quill posted:

Ever since I watched the show (airing in 1997 here in Finland), B5 has remained my favorite science fiction show. To this day, only a few have come even close to portraying such a well formed world and story.

Started in 1995 here in Norway. Was a defining part of the late-90s experience for me (I was in university at the time studying nerd stuff and hanging around with other nerds). It aired at an idiotic early-afternoon time slot on Sundays and was surprisingly preempted for sports quite often. Somehow managed to catch every single episode except for the pilot (which I didn't get to see until many years later)... in fact I think recording this was the main reason why I bought a VCR.

Agnostic on the Sinclair vs. Sheridan issue, but agree that G'kar and Londo were the best.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Peter Jurasik was so amazing as Londo that I'm reading his lines in That Voice even though I haven't actually seen a B5 episode in at least a decade.

I also had the hugest crush on Delenn/Mira Furlan.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Anyone remember Toyfaire magazine? They made comics with action figures, mostly marvel characters, frequently the Fantastic 4. I always read Dr. Doom with Katsulas voice.
Katsulas would have been the perfect Dr. Doom but Hollywood always had their collective heads up their asses and cast bland assholes as doom since forever.

In a perfect world Paramount would be stripped of all it's money and poo poo which would be given to JMS to make whatever he wanted.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

vols bitch posted:

That's one thing I feel bad for you kids, as an old.

You're so used to seeing everything with such perfect production values and such ironic loving detachment it's hard to let go to appreciate earnest enthusiasm.

The 80's-90's have tons of really great poo poo that was rebellious and fun and exploratory, but since it's crudely made you'll pass on it.

\
:corsair:

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*
Now this old man (43) has watched a shitload of scifi in his times and B5 has without a doubt some of the best character development and story arcs written, hands down. The G'Kar & Londo Mollari saga is truly well crafted and so is the Earth/Mars/Independence storyline. Don't let the production budget fool you that the rest of the show is any worse than it is. It's a great show that does stand the test of time. There's lovely writing, there's good writing and then there's B5 writing. If you haven't watched it already, do go ahead and watch the entire story arc from beginning to end. It's going to be remembered as one of the great scifi sagas of television.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Fuckin' Byron, though. He was the worst.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Groke posted:

Fuckin' Byron, though. He was the worst.

I had to autohypnotize myself to forget about Byron whenever I play MGSV because I won't have Byron ruining Kaz for me

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Groke posted:

Started in 1995 here in Norway. Was a defining part of the late-90s experience for me (I was in university at the time studying nerd stuff and hanging around with other nerds). It aired at an idiotic early-afternoon time slot on Sundays and was surprisingly preempted for sports quite often. Somehow managed to catch every single episode except for the pilot (which I didn't get to see until many years later)... in fact I think recording this was the main reason why I bought a VCR.

Agnostic on the Sinclair vs. Sheridan issue, but agree that G'kar and Londo were the best.

For us that were a bit younger than you it fit perfectly fine in with a time of the week where we were doing nothing, so it was pretty much perfect. We only had two TV channels and had never had satellite or cable or even owned a VCR, so it was unlike anything we had ever seen. I'm pretty happy that I share the memories of watching Babylon 5 with my whole family.

After B5 TV2 started airing ST:TNG in the same time slot, which they eventually dropped mid-series.

B5 started running Saturday and Sunday mornings, so I remember an article in one of our mens magazines (Vi Menn) about what it was like to be in Norwegian prison, and one of the lines were "You're gonna get real familiar with Babylon 5"

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

evobatman posted:

B5 started running Saturday and Sunday mornings, so I remember an article in one of our mens magazines (Vi Menn) about what it was like to be in Norwegian prison, and one of the lines were "You're gonna get real familiar with Babylon 5"

I suddenly have this image of Norwegian prisoners doing competing Londo and G'kar accents :laugh:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

evobatman posted:

I also usually wasn't doing anything on Sunday mornings despite not being in prison; caught a lot of reruns of Bonanza and MacGyver.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Helical Nightmares posted:

I suddenly have this image of Norwegian prisoners doing competing Londo and G'kar accents :laugh:

Or accidentally getting into a green/purple riot

Though, now I'm curious, was B5 subtitled or dubbed in Norway?

WarLocke posted:

I also had the hugest crush on Delenn/Mira Furlan.

yeah, that happens to me any time i rewatch the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
It was subtitled, we don't dub stuff except cartoons for the youngest children.

• Locked thread