Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bend
Dec 31, 2012

Mad Katter posted:

It's still racist bullshit, doesn't matter if it's stupidity or hatred at the root of it.

Im aware of that, as I said they're often indistinguishable. In the rare case that it's just purely being so utterly loving stupid that alcohol poisoning is an improvement over conversation treating them like the prick they're being can occasionally get the point accross that it's not on.

Wheezle posted:

There are people who genuinely think "negro" is some kind of detached, inoffensive way to refer to a black person.

Basically these sort of people, they're stupefyingly dumb but they don't actually realise they're dickheads and sometimes telling them does help.

edit: don't just yell wildly though, have a quiet word in their ear eg. "mate stop being a prick, negro's like calling them a oval office"

bend fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

kirbysuperstar posted:

loving hell. I don't know if there's any point even hidden in this one because I'm drowning in loving :words:

I think it's just that he's a Bulldogs supporter, and they're all going loving nuts here.

I can't decide if I want them to win just so that they can finally experience victory again, or if I want them to lose just to drink in the sadness of dashed hopes.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Wheezle posted:

There are people who genuinely think "negro" is some kind of detached, inoffensive way to refer to a black person.

It's generally an old person thing, they're worried and don't think black, African American (:ughh:) is appropriate so they think being "scientific" sounding (it's just Spanish for black ffs) is the best approach. Same people will usually say dwarf in all cases to avoid midget.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 30, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I think it's just that he's a Bulldogs supporter, and they're all going loving nuts here.

I can't decide if I want them to win just so that they can finally experience victory again, or if I want them to lose just to drink in the sadness of dashed hopes.

Same, but its a fun thing to happen. Certainly a lot more fun than Hawthorn in the GF yet again. And the game the Bulldogs won to get there was truly epic.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I think if these people were really just dumb they'd misspeak and call them 'Necros' :v:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's generally an old person thing, they're worried and don't think black, African American (:ughh:) is appropriate so they think being "scientific" sounding (it's just Spanish for black ffs) is the best approach. Same people will usually say dwarf in all cases to avoid midget.

My grandpa always uses 'homosexuals' instead of gay/LGBTI/whatever. He's really progressive for an 80-something y/o so your explanation makes sense

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Not really on the same level I don't think. I definitely wouldn't be offended by it, hell I probably use it, it's just a bit clunky.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I still feel weird saying 'gay' - in the 80's it was a pejorative, the proper term was 'homosexual'. I understand how really old people feel when they get fed up with the definition of words changing, but the fact is the definition of words change.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

It still is a pejorative, in certain contexts. Over the last five years or so I've seen pushback against using 'gay' as synonymous with 'bad', probably because we are now honestly confronting the homophobic socialization we were all immersed in for most of the last century, with all the flow-on effects that had on our language.

I don't know how much of this is my own personal observation, but I find the word 'homosexual', at least as a noun, is generally used by people with anti-gay beliefs who use the term as kind of a dispassionate clinical title for LGBT people, behind which they conceal their pathetic prejudices. That's why you hear 'radical homosexuals' so frequently from anti-gay religious types. It's a way to avoid thinking of gay folks as actual people.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Vindicator posted:

It still is a pejorative, in certain contexts. Over the last five years or so I've seen pushback against using 'gay' as synonymous with 'bad', probably because we are now honestly confronting the homophobic socialization we were all immersed in for most of the last century, with all the flow-on effects that had on our language.

I don't know how much of this is my own personal observation, but I find the word 'homosexual', at least as a noun, is generally used by people with anti-gay beliefs who use the term as kind of a dispassionate clinical title for LGBT people, behind which they conceal their pathetic prejudices. That's why you hear 'radical homosexuals' so frequently from anti-gay religious types. It's a way to avoid thinking of gay folks as actual people.

Radical Homosexuals sounds like people that would be great fun to hang out with.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

hooman posted:

Radical Homosexuals sounds like people that would be great fun to hang out with.

Sounds like Kapooka tbh.

:D

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Don't forget the gay agenda.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The rainbow light from gay propaganda interacted with solar particles emanating from wind turbines because of renewable energy emissions getting lodged in cell phone radiation.

That's why the transmission towers were bent like pretzels and churches were de-roofed. It's elementary really and obvious to anyone.

Anyone not a communist sympathiser! :bahgawd:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Just be cool and excellent to one another. If you say a word that's uncool but you've got a friendly tone and are being nice otherwise then people will realise its a mistake and let you know.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Queensland's criminal drug manufacturers are being run out of business as cheaper, higher quality narcotics flood through the state's borders, police say.

On Friday, they hailed a decline in meth lab busts in the state that was once infamous for having the highest rate of the dangerous scourge in the country but pointed to a concerning explanation.

Advertisement

Local manufacturers simply couldn't compete with the cheap, pure drugs from overseas.

"We've seen a major downturn of that in Queensland. We used to be the leader in Australia in the detection and charging of people in that kind of activity and there's reasons for that," Police Commissioner Ian Stewart said.

#icetariffsnow #saveuspauline :australia:

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell is wrong with this state when we can't even be self sufficient at making crank

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Yeah, foreign RCs flooding the market has been a thing for a while. Fentanyl analogues are almost certainly behind the uptick in opioid ods

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yes but Grand Finals could've popped the property bubble you selfish consumers

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Yes but Grand Finals could've popped the property bubble you selfish consumers

Built buy hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth