Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Teresa Mai Kurita-Steiner

Teresa watches Fong take off, hanging back a bit now that Alice is running off instead. If she can do it without someone looking over her shoulder, she gets her phone out to send some texts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Not that [Alice is] rushing off to break from the group. But it's worth seeing if her roomie's around before anything else goes down.

An unwashed breakfast bowl and coffee mug in the sink tell you that Carla's been about, but she's not in right now. Her bag and art supplies are missing but that's not unusual -- she takes that stuff to gym class, so taking it with her on whatever errand she's running isn't surprising.

So: Onward!

P.S. Teresa can totally send some texts. PM me with the contents if you want to keep them private.

The Forbidden Sections
(Addison, Teresa, Anna, Sharon, Gai, Rin, Alice, Isaac)

Aspects: Restricted Occult Containment; Every Room Has A Deadly Treasure

The entrance to the Forbidden Sections is clearly signposted, each sign accompanied by a warning that they're off-limits to students and a reminder that they are protected by both electronic and occult security -- and today, at the bottom of the dark stairwell, by Azumi Kamiyama.

Aspects: Sorcerous Ex-Delinquent; The Way Of The Sword; Headmaster’s Reluctant Hand; Class Rep

The Headmaster's enforcer among the student body sits on a folding chair right by the big door that grants ingress to the forbidden sections proper, bamboo sword propped up next to her. She's got her earbuds in and is playing some sort of game on a magenta pink handheld console -- she's engrossed enough that you can loiter out of her sight and have a quiet conversation amongst yourselves, but if you tried to walk past her she'd notice.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 31, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Rin Tanaka
2/3 Hope

Rin carefully peaks his head down the stairs, before quickly taking it back.

He clasps his hands together and looks at the motley crew. "So gang, what have we learned so far?"

"We went to the library and looked at the books and found that it's either."

"A), The stars are right for the summoning of something called a 'Tuathan', and it's got a big exclaimation mark on the data pad so you know it's weird occult stuff."

"Or b) It's causing the opening of a gateway into a dimension where space is folded up tight but which is a potential source of clean energy."

"Our smart money is currently on A. But before we do anything rash and stupid, anyone want to take a crack at opening up this forbidden knowledge?" He asked as he waved the data-slate to the assembled party.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Of course its A. If it was B someone would be making money off it already." Teresa takes a glance around the corner as well.

"Ugh, Azumi. She's tough, but not very bright. Not very fashionable either. We might be able to confuse her enough to let us do what we want, but there's an equally good chance that would just make her angry."

PM sent.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Let me take a stab at it."

I grab the tablet and scroll through the information, trying to glean anything from it.

"Hmm..."

Rolling Clever: 3

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Hope: 2 / 3

"Well, she could take a nap.", Alice points out, before clarifying. "Oh, um. I could help her take a nap...", she says, folding her arms as she considers it. "You'd still have to be quiet, though!"

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Waffleman_ posted:

I grab the tablet and scroll through the information, trying to glean anything from it.

"Hmm..."

Rolling Clever: 3

With a bit of poking at the pad Anna manages to persuade the school systems to tell her why Tuathans are considered dangerous.

You're not allowed to read further because... posted:

Tuathans are to be considered extremely dangerous. They are creatures of a single purpose and precious little else, all other properties having been stripped away by exposure to certain occult radiation, but in pursuit of their purpose they are all but unstoppable. If you or someone you know exhibits the following signs:

• Relentless pursuit of a single objective or similar single-minded behaviour.
  • An unusual fixation on an increasingly narrow range of thoughts.
  • An inability to explain behaviour when questioned.
  • Sudden loss of interest or ability in one or more fields of study or areas of life.

Please alert a member of staff.

Do not attempt to summon a Tuathan under any circumstances.

There are further links but you don't have access to those. You'd need staff access to the database to get that. Or a Superb check result. I'll accept invoking an aspect on this roll to bump it up to 5

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Isaac
While Anna taps away at her tablet (Isaac is convinced that he could do better, but she got it first and he would never disrespect something as sacred as dibs) the young inventor turns to Alice. "Woah, you can do that? That's sick! You should totally do it. We should probably wake her up when we're done, I don't want to get her in trouble. She's cool."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

FP: 2/3

"Hold on, I think I can use Dr. North's credentials to get further in!"

Invoking Dr. North's Trusty Assistant to bump it up

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Waffleman_ posted:

"Hold on, I think I can use Dr. North's credentials to get further in!"

Let's hear it for academics who can't be bothered signing their helpers up for proper accounts and instead just give out their own password!

Signing in as Dr North unlocks a load of further information. It's not good.

For starters, Tuathans used to be people.

It's not 'occult radiation' that transforms them; it's making contact with an alien entity known by the relatively benign-sounding name of Brigid. Brigid operates a sort of addiction scheme, visiting people in dreams -- artists and poets are especially susceptible -- and offering glorious inspiration that simultaneously drains the victim's own powers of creativity. Further interaction with Brigid seems to 'limit the victim's options' in some poorly-understood way, leading them to act according to Brigid's will without understanding why. Eventually the victim starts losing their fundamental properties until they become nothing more than a purpose clothed in the shreds of a person.

Other notes indicate that 'ready-made' Tuathans can be summoned with the right outer science (although the methods are locked behind yet higher levels of access). It also reiterates the 'never attempt to summon a Tuathan' instruction of the just-about-student-accessible info.

Notes on Brigid itself are scattered and mostly sealed away from people who aren't the headmaster. You get the impression that knowing too much about it can draw its attention, so maybe that's for the best.

And Anna assesses the ancient one! It's Brigid, the Exalted One.

The in-universe Wikipedia result for Brigid is much the same as the real one, if you feel like getting some easy context. But Brigid-as-ancient-one is going to depart in several key ways from her popular in-universe presentation, so... don't assume any of it is true.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Hope: 2 / 3

Poking her fingers together, Alice looks to Isaac. "W-well, don't spread it around, I don't want to have to wear a badge or something...", she says a little sheepishly as if just realizing that. Leaning over to look at Alice's tablet, her eyes widen in seeming realization. "Oh. Um. Huh." She doesn't add anything, though, tiptoeing away. "Anyway, gonna help Azumi learn to relax.", she says, narrowing her eyes as she tries to peek in on the headmaster's hand.

Going to try and Sneakily create an advantage on Azumi of SLEEEP. Only got a... 1, but going to spend a fate point and activate Somniopathic Showoff to increase it to 3.I'd also be willing to take a cost of Alice getting tired or falling asleep herself to succeed.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Going to try and Sneakily create an advantage on Azumi of SLEEEP. Only got a... 1, but going to spend a fate point and activate Somniopathic Showoff to increase it to 3.I'd also be willing to take a cost of Alice getting tired or falling asleep herself to succeed.

Slowly, Azumi's chin drifts to her chest as whatever game she's playing fails to hold her attention. She jerks back awake a couple of times, but eventually succumbs to Alice's sleepy powers.

I'm thinking Azumi will oppose this with her Force of will, so difficulty 3. (I'm a fan of static defences.) A tie on create an advantage just gives you a boost, so how about you get Asleep, Just About. Azumi's snoozing for now, but any sort of disturbance is going to wake her up.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Hope: 2 / 3 | Aspects: Asleep, Just About

Peeking out to the guard position, Alice's eyes droop at the same rate, and she yawns powerfully before slapping her cheeks lightly. "Oh, I wish I could just nap like that, but we've got too much to do-", she mumbles before yawning again.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Let's get down there before she wakes up," Teresa says, doing just that. She moves as carefully as she can down the stairs, around Azumi, and to the door.

Let me know if I need to roll for this.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Nah. Let's move things along like I should have done with the last post.

The forbidden sections. Sneaking past the sleeping Azumi, wandering the featureless corridors, reading the titles and various warning labels on the doors -- it's all so very... forbidden. Worryingly, all the electronic locks are flashing little error messages on their eight-character displays, one word at a time:

pre:
SECURITY
COMPRMSD
LOCKDOWN
ENGAGED
Still, nothing seems to be breaking out or whispering promises of power into your minds or even making menacing growling sounds. Everything is silent and still and the doors remain firmly closed. Except one.

The handwritten label in the slot on the half-open door identifies the contents as

pre:
Artefact #IRE00058 
'Eye of Balor'
followed by a red MEMETIC HAZARD warning sign and further instructions that the artefact should not be viewed with the naked eye. To the left of the door hang four sets of VR goggles with some sort of camera arrangement hooked onto the front. Three sets hang neatly on their pegs, balanced to hang horizontally by some detail-orientated cleaner and/or passer-by -- but the top set hang askew, as if casually flung back on the hook in passing.

Risking a peek inside shows a small concrete room with two shelves on the far wall. One shelf bears a little black box about two inches square (open, empty) and a sheaf of papers. The other has a DVD marked with the same artefact code as the door and a handful of ancient celtic-looking odds and ends on it -- three carved stone statues, somewhat eroded; a golden torc; and a large corroded spearhead engraved with intricate knotwork.

Nothing that looks like an eye, anywhere.

I'll just spoil this here to facilitate easy -- since the Eye has been stolen, the room's safe to enter. No need to worry about memetic hazards just yet.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Isaac
3/3 Hope, 1 Super Smartphone charge

Isaac's expression becomes more and more tense the more the little student group explores of the Forbidden Section. He's not exactly sure what he was expecting but it certainly wasn't this.

"Ok, so. It's clear that whoever was here, they stole something that was seriously, seriously dangerous." As tense as the situation is, he can't hide a note of excitement in his voice. "So I suggest that we split up and try to search for clues as quickly as possible. We can't afford to stay here too long, if someone finds us here we'll be in enough trouble for the rest of our lives. And if someone sees Azumi snoring, they're probably going to check."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Alice squints at the empty bay, raising her phone to take a shot... without any of her classmates in the frame, to be clear. Rubbing her bedheaded hair, she mumbles softly, "So, um-" Exhaling into a sigh, she closes her eyes for a moment before opening.them again "- has anybody seen Carla today?", she asks out of nowhere.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Rin Tanaka
2/3 Hope

Rin looked at Alice, then back at the others.

"Anyone?" He looks back at Alice. "Could maybe give us a hint? I'll admit i'm not good with names."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Huh.", Alice says after a moment, her eyelids drooping. A yawn, and she says, "... um... my roommate? Artist? Dark skin, black hair?" She rubs a temple, adding, "I haven't seen her at all today, maybe a thing happened? I... I dunno. She's been... weird." Closing her eyes for a moment, her head bows forward as if she's about to fall, but she jolts right back up with wide eyes that go right back to half-mast in short order.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Clearly whoever came in here used those VR goggles." Teresa goes in and grabs the DVD. "We should watch this, soon as possible."

Having picked up the obvious clue, she starts examining the notes.

Clever (+2): 4dF+2 3

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

FP: 2/3

"Weird how? Like normal weird or things man was not meant to know weird?"

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Having picked up the obvious clue, she starts examining the notes.

Clever (+2): 4dF+2 3

A quick flick through the notes reveals them to be a collection of texts all on the subject of the Eye of Balor. They range from the handwritten to the word-processed to the tagged-and-ready-for-publication, forming a sort of overview of the subject. There's a copy of the legend in there, about how Balor the Fomorian had an eye that could destroy anyone he looked at, and a couple of papers suggesting either that the artefact that now bears the name isn't the same thing or that 'destroys' was maybe a metaphor for the way it unravels the mind of anyone who looks at it. Look for megalomania and an increased propensity for violence.

There are notably no photographs or pictures of it, but a crumpled sheet written in crayon describes (in so many words) something spherical about two inches across -- about twice the size of a standard eyeball, you guess, based on limited previous eyeball experience, but the Fomorians were supposedly giants -- repulsive but compelling to look upon. One of the research papers near the top of the heap contains a diagram for a magic circle which should negate the Eye's mind-warping effects if you drew it on a filter and viewed the Eye through that... but no-one's tested it.

There are also a couple of studies of Balorian cults that have sprung up over the years. Prone to infighting and power struggles, when united behind a charismatic leader they tend towards large-scale acts of violence. It's theorised that this is all down to the Eye's effects on its beholders, but since no-one wants to give free rein to a gang of homicidal maniacs under the thrall of an otherworldly artefact there's a lot of guesswork and hypothesising in place of actual facts.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Alice puffs her cheeks. "If I thought she was into anything that bad, I would have reported it, you know." She folds her arms before raising a hand to yawn, before waving it off and leaning over towards Teresa as if she could read over her shoulder. She can't, of course. "What does it say?", she asks, looking lazily curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa holds up the magic circle diagram. "Anyone know how to make one of these?" If someone does, she hands it over. She also takes OCR photos of the documents with her phone and sends a copy to the others. No point taking these documents with them and risking being discovered with them. The DVD is a big enough risk, unless someone happens to have a portable player.

She considers the effects of the Eye, and has enough self awareness to wonder how others would be able to tell if she were exposed to it...

Figure someone will search the rest of the room, so I'm gonna create the advantage Here's What You're Looking At for them, based on the notes.
Clever (+2): 4dF+2 2

• Locked thread