Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be the champ come Sunday morning?
This poll is closed.
Stipe Miocic 38 40.86%
Alistair Overeem 55 59.14%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I dont like Sage. Hes fine but theres nothing there, i have no reason to like him. If you guys think acting cute and unflappably positive on social media is really cool, theres a bunch of 15 year old Vine and Youtube stars you should Like and Subscribe to

Hes a bad fighter but its not really his fault the UFC chose to push him, you cant hold that against him. It was funny when people here were unironically calling him a future champ after he beat Cody Fister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I don't like how roided he is

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

vainman posted:

I don't like how roided he is

Puberty isn't steroids

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Sage is actually pretty decent at striking, especially for his level of experience, but his grapping ain't good and it appears that his father is preventing him from doing any of the things that would result in it getting better.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
Based on what you've seen of Gall is it a good matchup?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Sure they are both cutie pies.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

RagingHematoma posted:

Gall is very likely to dump him on his rear end and choke him out in short order as well. He's pretty good at that and Sage has shown himself to be weak in those areas. If Gall steamrolls him, give him a ranked fight.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

RagingHematoma posted:

Its hard to say much about Gall since his 2 fights have both been against total amateurs and Sage actually has a lot more experience, but he at least seems like a good grappler with some good attributes and a fast learner. Whereas Sage is kind of a one trick pony who doesnt seem that concerned with getting better. I think maybe Sage would be a slight favorite on the betting odds if the fight happened right now

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*
Sage has had very recent fight evidence that he's not too comfortable on the ground and Gall has evidence (not necessarily his UFC fights) of legitimate grappling skills. What we learned from his Punk fight is he's well prepared, very confident, and knows how to pick his moments (eg. Wanted to show off his striking but shot the double when Punk came at him 'hot'). Gall also showed us a little bit of his GnP threat which is a big weapon for a grappler.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

manyak posted:

I dont like Sage. Hes fine but theres nothing there, i have no reason to like him. If you guys think acting cute and unflappably positive on social media is really cool, theres a bunch of 15 year old Vine and Youtube stars you should Like and Subscribe to

Hes a bad fighter but its not really his fault the UFC chose to push him, you cant hold that against him. It was funny when people here were unironically calling him a future champ after he beat Cody Fister

Its fun for me to pretend like I want to kiss him and marry him but if we're being real: he really sucks and isn't very interesting & his twitter pictures get really old because they're all impossibly dumb in the exact same way every time so after the first few it kind of just got depressing.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

RagingHematoma posted:

Gall is a good grappler with pretty good takedowns, and

fatherdog posted:

Sage is actually pretty decent at striking, especially for his level of experience, but his grapping ain't good and it appears that his father is preventing him from doing any of the things that would result in it getting better.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

Its fun for me to pretend like I want to kiss him and marry him but if we're being real: he really sucks and isn't very interesting & his twitter pictures get really old because they're all impossibly dumb in the exact same way every time so after the first few it kind of just got depressing.

Yeah exactly

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Ive only seen Galls UFC fights but i remember in Sage's "looking for a fight" D-league fight where they first found him, he brutally double leg slammed some guy and outgrappled him and choked him out, and that guy was probably roughly as good as CM Punk so idk. Everyone kinda does that when you face someone who sucks. I know people have said Gall is a good brown belt though so thats a point in his favor

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Is Sages dad still being a dick about his training?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

manyak posted:

Ive only seen Galls UFC fights but i remember in Sage's "looking for a fight" D-league fight where they first found him, he brutally double leg slammed some guy and outgrappled him and choked him out, and that guy was probably roughly as good as CM Punk so idk. Everyone kinda does that when you face someone who sucks. I know people have said Gall is a good brown belt though so thats a point in his favor

He had a pretty good match in NAGA with Gordon Ryan last year, and Gordon is really, really good.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

fatherdog posted:

He had a pretty good match in NAGA with Gordon Ryan last year, and Gordon is really, really good.

Oh cool i didnt know that. Yeah hed probably murk sage then as long as his takedowns are up to par

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

willie_dee posted:

Is Sages dad still being a dick about his training?

Yeah. I think Tri-Star have made another attempt to get him to go there, but his Dad continues to refuse to let him go. It would probably take another loss, but this one where he doesn't have the excuse of step throat or whatever to see him actually make a move. It's a shame because people who spar with him have nothing but nice things to say about the kid, but until he gets away from his fathers influence he's just not going to develop.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

manyak posted:

Oh cool i didnt know that. Yeah hed probably murk sage then as long as his takedowns are up to par

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yacwz6W0hYM

Here's the guy he's grappling with: http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/gordon-ryan

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 11, 2016

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
For some reason I thought sage was a lightweight. Or was it just that he fought lightweights at welter

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

david carmichael posted:

For some reason I thought sage was a lightweight. Or was it just that he fought lightweights at welter

His last 2 fights were at 170. So i just wikipediad it and he had 2 at 155, 2 at 170, and all his fights before that were at a 165 lb catchweight made up specifically for him in Texas lol

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Speaking of Gordon, he's in the Eddie Bravo Invitational tonight on Fightpass -

https://www.ufc.tv/video/ebi-8-the-middleweights

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

what about CM Punk vs. Sage Northcutt instead

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

handsome only face posted:

what about CM Punk vs. Sage Northcutt instead

Sage would almost certainly knock punk out. His striking compared to Punk is comparable to the gulf in grappling skill between Punk and Gall.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

manyak posted:

His last 2 fights were at 170. So i just wikipediad it and he had 2 at 155, 2 at 170, and all his fights before that were at a 165 lb catchweight made up specifically for him in Texas lol

I thought only the Barberena fight was at 170? I say this because I remember Goldberg saying something stupid at UFC 200 about him still being undefeated at 155.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Gall is a legit grappler and it looks like he punches super hard on the ground. Doesn't bode well for Sage, but I like that matchup a whole lot.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sage would almost certainly knock punk out. His striking compared to Punk is comparable to the gulf in grappling skill between Punk and Gall.

let's do it baby

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i don't really follow social media so i've got no opinion on sage northcutt outside of three fascinating truths: he looks like a child's drawing of the sun, he taps to submissions that aren't submissions and doesn't tap to submissions that are definitely submissions. every fight he's had in the ufc has been watchable. borderline completely unique. i like sage.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Human Crouton posted:

Does anybody know who that guy in the red shirt was that rushed the octagon during the Werdum fiasco? He was just some dude in the crowd who jumped the fence, but all they did was send him back to his seat instead of ejecting him. Seems like an ejectible offense for someone who isn't connected to the fighters in some personal way.

The one with the neck tattoos? That's Babalu. I don't know if he trains with werdum anymore, but no poo poo they didn't kick him out.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Babalu is cool and a longtime veteran of the sport, but he's also a dude with poor impulse control

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The one with the neck tattoos? That's Babalu. I don't know if he trains with werdum anymore, but no poo poo they didn't kick him out.

Yep. That explains it then.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Jessica Andrade looked really cool and good and came out to 1D I like her a lot

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Babalu is cool and a longtime veteran of the sport, but he's also a dude with poor impulse control

I know it was a dick move, but Babalu sleeping David Heath with the bloodiest Anaconda choke of all time will always be one of my favorite mma moments of all time.

[

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

DannoMack posted:

Jessica Andrade looked really cool and good and came out to 1D I like her a lot

Looks like a whole new fighter at strawweight, it's crazy. Her nickname in Brazil translates to "pile driver," which is way too apt for them to not have brought over.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

my favorite babalu moment was when hendo knocked him out and Mauro completely forgot how words work.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Gramps posted:

I know it was a dick move, but Babalu sleeping David Heath with the bloodiest Anaconda choke of all time will always be one of my favorite mma moments of all time.

[

iirc he held that choke for so long because Heath wore a shirt with a picture of Babalu's mug shot on it to the weigh ins.

He was cut after this fight.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mr. Nice! posted:

my favorite babalu moment was when hendo knocked him out and Mauro completely forgot how words work.

HAMMANO

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fatherdog posted:

which, exhibit a, those fuckin tattoos

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
That was the perfect Overeem showcase fight:
- Overeem almost winning in the 1st minute
- running
- guillotine
- running
- huge kicks and knees
- unsound defense once his chin's been tested
- running
- losing
- having excuses lined up

Getting called out right away was new and awesome, though.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

The Overeem Very Pantastic Body japanese guy is probably watching this fight right now, and that brings a tear to my eye

He's Korean. But let's cue it up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDT1r55vwjM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

• Locked thread