Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I got a huge scholarship to Iowa State but didn't go because who the gently caress wants to go to Iowa State

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
sometimes i wish i could be a mormon stepford wife and just be totally ok with that but such thoughts are infrequent and typically quick to pass

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
No but seriously, the only Mormons I know are really thoughtful, kind people who use their faith to help them find strength in adversity and are always willing to help others, Mormon or not, who need it.

Also ISU is where Dan Gable went, and he is arguably the greatest wrestler America has ever produced, and wrestling is gayer than both football and rugby.

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe

AugmentedVision posted:

I got a huge scholarship to Iowa State but didn't go because who the gently caress wants to go to Iowa State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C08uEmlOKfg

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Billy idol - a nazi? Thomething to think about

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
"white" wedding

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

if a wedding doesn't involve bukake I don't think you should be able to call it white

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Even though I grew up there, it's hard to take anything seriously that come from a state that elected Terry Goat-Fucker Branstadt governor multiple times. While he may not be the worst governor he's gotta be the.....never mind he's the worst.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
i dont think loving goats is that bad

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Y-Hat posted:

i bring that up because a lot of southerners don't think mormons are christians

They clearly aren't, though starting in the 90's they started completely ignoring a lot of the bigger incongruencies-- but as a matter of theology they are as much christian as islam is. Which is to say, a related offshoot much like christianity was from Judaism.

mdm posted:

heh, intolerant of intolerance :smug:

libreul are the race realists

It is strange how discussion about Islam is verboten given that the view the religion (and the countries that adhere to it) have on the role of women and gay people makes 1950's america look like an enlightened multicultural paradise.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

AugmentedVision posted:

or the state of iowa for that matter.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tsa posted:

They clearly aren't, though starting in the 90's they started completely ignoring a lot of the bigger incongruencies-- but as a matter of theology they are as much christian as islam is. Which is to say, a related offshoot much like christianity was from Judaism.

It is strange how discussion about Islam is verboten given that the view the religion (and the countries that adhere to it) have on the role of women and gay people makes 1950's america look like an enlightened multicultural paradise.

What are the main differences from Christianity that Mormonism has that makes them not Christian?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ha ha, these dumb fuckers think that colleges care about students at all when they get in the way of football money.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jastiger posted:

What are the main differences from Christianity that Mormonism has that makes them not Christian?

You mean aside from the fact that they have their very own set of scriptures that nobody else recognizes as legitimate? Or the whole getting to be the god of their own planet when they die if they are a good Mormon on this one thing?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You mean aside from the fact that they have their very own set of scriptures that nobody else recognizes as legitimate? Or the whole getting to be the god of their own planet when they die if they are a good Mormon on this one thing?

Yes aside from that. Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day saints sounds p christian to the leyman.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jastiger posted:

Yes aside from that. Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day saints sounds p christian to the leyman.

Like people mistakenly think Jews for Jesus people are actually Jewish.

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug

Jastiger posted:

Literally everything else that they believe in, in addition to the "aside from that" stuff

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
But it says Jesus Christ right in the name. Do we need to contact some copyright folks?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jastiger posted:

But it says Jesus Christ right in the name. Do we need to contact some copyright folks?

they need to get a good lawyer like this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62xreSr25uI

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Jastiger posted:

They don't confess the Nicean Creed. By definition (of the council of Nicea) that makes them not Christian.

I mean in the USA we have the First Amendment so you can belong to whatever crazy cult you want, but that doesn't mean you can associate yourself with the Catholic and Apostolic Church at will, we must have standards.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
They are also polytheistic which outright disqualifies them from being any Abrahamic religion.

wikipedia posted:

The doctrine of eternal progression was succinctly summarized by LDS Church leader Lorenzo Snow: "As man now is, God once was: As God now is, man may be."[2][3] According to Smith's King Follett discourse, God the Father himself once passed through mortality as Jesus did, but how, when, or where that took place is unclear. The prevailing view among Mormons is that God once lived on a planet with his own higher god.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/46PXaJxzuDE

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Crazy poo poo yo. I wonder if my local mormons know this. I should axe them.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
lmao

muslims are still way more disgusting as people and as a religion though

(they wipe their bums with their hands lol)

reallivedinosaur fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 10, 2016

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
There are 14 million Morms to the Episcopal Church's 3 mil, so I guess they're doing something right.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Having at least 6 kids per family will do that.

naem
May 29, 2011

Volcott posted:

There are 14 million Morms to the Episcopal Church's 3 mil, so I guess they're doing something right.

The born again Christian movement in the U.S. has pulled away a lot of members from traditional Protestant congregations over the last century or so

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Volcott posted:

that's their claim but like scientologists they juke the stats by including all the mudpeople they proselytize to who are usually already catholic or something else

Apollodorus posted:

They don't confess the Nicean Creed. By definition (of the council of Nicea) that makes them not Christian.

I mean in the USA we have the First Amendment so you can belong to whatever crazy cult you want, but that doesn't mean you can associate yourself with the Catholic and Apostolic Church at will, we must have standards.

nontrinitarianism isn't the big sticking point it used to be- unitarians are generally recognized by other denominations- but it doesn't help the mormons' case

it's really the admission of prophets after jesus and additional revealed scripture that keeps them out of the club

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 11, 2016

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

so they're christian but not "christian" i think I got it.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

zimboe posted:

Yah, but the prevalence of AIDS, herpes, hepatitis and other STDS are pretty low among Mormoons, even though they gently caress like bunnies in pajamas.
So civil rights aside, there are a few downsides to the "Gay" lifestyle (they didn't look too cheerful to me).

If they're only loving other Mormons like bunnies in pajamas, that would fairly effectively protect them from any STDs which weren't meaningfully present in their community from the beginning.

Profondo Rosso posted:

didnt mormons spend mad money to keep mj illegal or somethin? gently caress mormons

In a previous Mormonism thread, someone mentioned they had spent mad money to keep gay marriage illegal.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Also they failed, but on the plus side it may mean they get polygamy back so maybe it's a net gain for the Mormons?

W/e they're all still heretics who believe crazy made up bs and don't even know the difference between homousia and homoiousia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Pretty sure Mormonism is secretly the first New Age religion. Being the prototype, it used Christianity as a jumping off point.

No hate though, you do you, crazy underwear people!

• Locked thread