Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

sometimes anime and/or manga gets turned into a movie. or tv show. or theatrical production. this is the thread for talking about it. here it is, welcome.

But for real, I feel like the idea of adaptations gets a bad rap because of some more recent, higher profile adaptations. I thought it'd be nice to have a general thread to talk about the better ones, or any ones, really. It's also an excuse for me to write about movies I watched and found out they were adaptations after the fact. I'm starting off small, but I'll add more to the OP as time passes. There'll be trailers in the film titles. Some of these films can get violent or have nudity so I'll try and mark that as such if it's applicable. I'll put a :nws: if the trailer itself is objectionable.

FILMS:

Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion:nws:

Female Prisoner #701 is a series of "women in prison" films about a prisoner nicknamed "Scorpion." It's based on a manga by Tōru Shinohara, which you can read here. These are exploitation films, so there's lots of violence and nudity and sometimes rap if that's not your thing.
I've only seen the second film in this series, Jailhouse 41, but it's really wild. It starts with Scorpion under solitary confinement, tortured by the warden of her prison. After a prison riot, she ends up escaping with six other prisoners. Scorpion is played by Meiko Kaji, who spends most of the film silent and whose intense glare seems to define the character. Scorpion is intent on revenge on the warden, but her thirst on revenge to takes on supernatural airs in its intensity. I definitely recommend it.

Hiruko the Goblin

Hiruko the Goblin is a film directed by Shinya Tsukamoto, best known for his series of Tetsuo films which helped shape J-Cyberpunk. It's about Reijirou Hieda, a disgraced archaeologist, and Yabe, Hieda's nephew. Hieda gets word from his brother-in-law about a burial mound that may prove Hieda's theories about the supernatural correct. When Hieda arrives at his nephew's school where the burial mound is located, Hieda and Yabe must contend with a yokai that's running around causing people to decapitate themselves. It's based on a manga by Daijiro Morohoshi, which you can read here.
Hiruko was Tsukamoto's first mainstream film, and if you've seen any of the Tetsuo films its a departure from those. It's still a lot of fun, while still having moments of genuine creepiness. The film takes a lot from western horror films, particularly the Evil Dead franchise, with the camera skittering across the floor to represent the yokai's mad rush as its about to pounce upon its victim.

If people want to do their own write-ups I'll add them here, too.

Parallax fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

post reserved for cool images and sick burns

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lady Snowblood is fantastic, so this is clearly untrue.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fuckit, gonna steal this dude's post again:

CloseFriend posted:

I watched Lady Snowblood again last night, and something struck me… A consistent aesthetic dots the film's major moments throughout: the Japanese flag (nisshōki/日章旗). Red as a foreground element and, to a lesser extent, white as a background/secondary element suffuse most of the shot compositions in the film. Hell, look at the title: red blood and white snow. The Japanese title has 修羅 for red bloodshed and again, 雪 for white snow.

In this sense, the film exhorts us to see the title character's story as one of Japan in general. Indeed, throughout the film, Yuki's costumes betray Japanese flag imagery. The reddish colors vary between a bright, bloody scarlet, lavender, maroon, purple, auburn, burgundy and orange, but the dominant shape remains near the center of the screen against desaturated or bright negative space. Just look at her birth—surrounded by a large cluster of prison jumpsuit orange against a white bed in the dead of winter—or her very first adult appearance—holding a circular umbrella above the snow-encrusted landscape…

From this, we infer that Yuki embodies Japan… or, more specifically, pre-Meiji Japan. We infer that Japan's entire history has the same driving force as Yuki herself: revenge. The film implies that up to this point in history, Japan has lived in a Saṃsāra-esque cycle of revenge. Look for the subtle Japanese flag composition in these sanguinary backstory paintings: a red splotch against a mostly-white background…

Nearly all of Yuki's costumes have a reddish element against a white background. When they don't, the entire costume becomes that element. Just try not to catch your eye on Yuki's lavender kimono in its contrast against the otherwise quotidian tea room.

As for her other costumes, with their reddish sashes against the white, Yuki spends most of the film looking like a five-foot Japanese flag turned on its side, especially when blood mottles her clothes.

The Japanese flag, then, recurs in the film to keep us cognizant of Japan's history. This becomes strikingly apparent in this scene, where a blood-read rickshaw blanket anchors a Dutch-angle composition wherein deuteragonist Ryūrei Ashio comes face-to-face with his shameful past, and later in the scene where a rufous safe does the same.

The film avers, in essence, that even before the Meiji Restoration, Japan's history had problems of its own. Look for bright red elements in the middle of the screen in these scenes featuring gambling, a release of poison gas, a prostitute's recompense (linked for spoiler), and an unprovoked murder (linked for spoiler).

Since Yuki stands surrogate for Japan itself, her upbringing then tells us the story of the formation of the Japanese mindset through unforgiving inculcation. We see it in this shot of young Yuki—wearing in a red sash to indicate her status as the rising sun—tethered to her punitive yet motivated guardian Priest Dōkai, clad in white as the sky against which she rises to take her place.

In a cyclical note, Kobue wears mostly red throughout the film, hinting that she represents the incipient successor of the "rising sun" mantle, herself marred by adversity and injustice and motivated by revenge. The relative lack of white tells us that unlike Yuki, her youth leaves her in the beginning stages of her own trip through the revenge cycle.

Even the villains get in on the composition; take a look at Tsukamoto Gishirō's headband as the blood therefrom drips down his rubicund face, Shokei Tokuichi's eye-grabbing bright red loincloth in the compositional center, Kitahama Okono's fiery invocation of the Vajrayana god Acala across her backside, and the way the blood stains the white foam that buoys Takemura Banzō's hemorrhaging body in its last moments.

All of this points to the film's idea that revenge, bloodshed, and remonstrance underpinned Japanese history up to that point. The turning point of the climax—where Gishiro dies dragging down the flag of Japan and staining that of the United States in his failure to grab it as well—tells us that Bakumatsu marked not only the end of Japan's isolationist foreign policy and shogunate, but the end of Japan as the Japanese knew it.

The decidedly Pyrrhic nature of the victory also tells us not to regard Japan's sea change as entirely a positive. The film ends with Kobue becoming the new symbol of Japan by nearly slaying the old one, thereby positing that while Japan itself may change, the themes governing its history never will.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

lady snowblood is good and stars the same lady as female prisoner scorpion

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Well, there's the Battle Angel Alita movie that's been in development hell by James Cameron for years and years and was recently passed off to the guy who did Planet Terror...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I usually hear the Ruroni Kenshin live action trilogy is pretty decent, though I haven't seen enough of them or the original series to compare. Has anybody else here given them a go?

Riki-oh is a hilaribad, schlocky :nws: movie with kung-fu dubbing that is amazing to watch with a group of friends as long as you can deal with gore.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Live Action adaptions are actually my dark secret pleasure and I wanted to make a thread about them at some point, so I'm glad you did one instead.

Julias posted:

I usually hear the Ruroni Kenshin live action trilogy is pretty decent, though I haven't seen enough of them or the original series to compare. Has anybody else here given them a go?

I watched the trilogy like half a year ago without ever having seen the manga or anime and they were pretty solid action movies. The first one is its own separate deal while I'm pretty sure the last two were in production at the same time featuring that Makoto Shishio guy that kinda makes me think of ronin Darth Vader. It also manages to make getting bludgeoned into submission with the blunt side of a sword fairly brutal and got the silliest drift-running, which is all I want out of my action flicks.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

teh ghost in the shell movie is shaping up to be a monster

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

blue blazes bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7OJd98Z9Hg

if you like old anime, gainax or college comedies this show is a pleasure to watch. its a fictionalized account of the authors time in college, where he shared classes with some later very well known people like Hideaki Anno, Hiroyuki Yamaga, and Takami Akai. its a good show

i have seen a fairly large amount of korean dramas, and this adaption of a manwha called misaeng is probably the only one i'd call good without reservations. its a fantastic portrayal of korean office life including all the unglamorous nasty bits. interns being forced to do insane amounts of work, blatant workplace sexism, forced drinking (and more) with the bosses, overtime that takes all night and more. get past the somewhat odd start and it will keep you captivated through stuff that should be boring, office meetings and all, but isnt

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The dbz movie is an underrated gem

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

which one

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Parallax posted:

which one

There's only been one live action one.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

We watched that a few weeks ago. Terrible dub, laughable fight scenes, obviously an unlicensed movie which can't even use any of the original names from DB. (The dragon balls are clear now and are referred to as dragon pearls.)

The highlight of the film is definitely Master Roshi The Turtle Master's incredible dancing skills.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Posting this here since even the OP seems to have forgotten about this thread.

It's actually a decent read.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Julias posted:

Posting this here since even the OP seems to have forgotten about this thread.

It's actually a decent read.

"The Japanese reactions are depressing, but predictable"

lol

I think the movie trailer we got looks pretty alright. The most I can hope for is that it isn't a completely garbage film, and I have no doubt that Scarlett Johansson will play the Major as she's been portrayed: moody, introspective and altogether not-that-interesting-in-the-movie-timeline-compared-to-stand-alone-complex. She will probably ice some fools hella hard, we might see cables slapped into neck ports for hacking sequences, and hopefully Batou is awesome and not a complete toolbox as he was in Arise.

The trailer makes it seem like a "greatest hits" compilation of anything GitS animated. There's a lot of leaning on the first movie in terms of scenes in the trailer, but I'm hoping we get some more stuff out of the second movie. Specifically, I want Batou Visits The Yakuza Super loving Hard, but they nailed that creepy geisha bot face opening bit.

Apparently Kuze's in there. The whole S9 gang's in there so I'm expecting a cool sniper moment, Ishikawa punching a dude hard, Paz looking important/mysterious without doing gently caress all, and Togusa is going to use a revolver. There's a moment in the trailer where the Major is wearing a red outfit reminiscent of Arise's Major. The cars are pretty spot on with the hideous designs smattered throughout the whole franchise. The only thing I don't see are spider tanks of any kind, and maybe that's for a later trailer.

I get the argument about cultural appropriation, and it's a legitimate problem in all forms of media... but I think there's better hills to die on than the franchise where external appearance can have absolutely nothing to do with who the person actually is because literally everything about a body can be made to specification. It's also been pretty distressing to see, in light of Johansson getting the role, how loving awful nerds are about women in entertainment AGAIN. Like it's apparently her fault for "daring" to accept a role she probably is thrilled to be able to play, a casting her director stands by. Like she's apparently 'disgusting' compared to a 'proper japanese actress' in the role. Thankfully these sorts of reactions appear to be in the extreme minority.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
I have been rewatching Nodame Cantabile live action and it is better than the anime adaption. While they cover certain things a little differently than the manga, it does not impact the overall story. Also, the classical music is really good and it is nice to see the characters "playing" the instruments than sometimes seeing the static images that the anime sometimes had. It can be a little campy at times but overall it is a really well made adaptation.

Edit: Also don't watch the Korean adaptation for it. They change it too much and try to force typical tropes seen in Korean drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aw poo poo, there are subs out for the second hentai kamen movie.

• Locked thread