Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Free Market Mambo posted:

And some stuff to read when you have to wait, because you're going to wait.

^^ this is brilliant. Evacuations of any sort are the definition of hurry up and wait and wait and wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

the_chavi posted:

Yep, exactly. Moving to Ankara next summer for the same job, so my go-bag will be less earthquake-focused but still heavily document- and cash-focused. Also poo poo that I'll need for a kid. I should figure that out.

How old is the kid?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
30 weeks right now? Arrives in January.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

the_chavi posted:

First, congratulations!

In your situation you're already going to have a BOB for your kid. It will have diapers in it.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

the_chavi posted:

Congrats man, you're all set. At a pinch, the normadic slaver tribes of the post apocalyptic wasteland will give good value in barter for a healthy child.

Just don't go trading your firstborn for some useless lump of gold alright?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Schiavona posted:

I had to send so many sheriffs on snowmobiles out to people's houses who ran out of food after a day, it completely boggled my poo poo.

That doesn't surprise me at all, I know a bunch of people who only have basic condiments and several hours worth of food (in the form of take-out leftovers) in their kitchens.

It's people who don't know how to cook, and there seem to be more and more of them.

Anyway, I have a tarp spread out in the trunk of my car, a toolbox, and a milk crate filled with car stuff (windshield washer fluid, oil, etc), but also a couple bottles of water, an old blanket, candles and matches.

I have a fascination with prepper crap though and want to put something better together.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So since I last posted I put a bunch of stuff together over a boring weekend here and there. I'm sure most of it is useless and will just get chucked when I change cars in a few years, but this is what I've put together:

- Shovel for snow/mud
- Tarp
- Toolbox
- Gerber multitool
- Cotton/ Polyester Blanket
- 2 Survival blankets
- A goony Bear Grylls Gerber Survival Kit

- 2 small cardboard boxes filled with thinly shaved cedar tinder and small cedar sticks
- ~25' of paracord
-~20' of reflective camping twine
- Wool socks and t-shirt
- Small Mirror
- Pack of granola bars
- Small 4x15mm scope

That's all I can think of that's in there. Most of it is contained in a large dopp kit, which itself is in an old gym bag. I don't really know what scenario I have in mind for it, I guess broken down on the side of the road in the winter?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 12, 2017

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

I'm surprised at the lack of clothing ITT. I wouldn't call mine a bug-out bag per se, but I like to keep an expanded "camping pack" on the ready. Since I like being able to eat, it contains:
- small multi-fuel burner
- some propane cans
- firesteel
- lightweight eating stuff (aluminum fork/knife/spoon set, those matryoshka-like sets of pots, pans and plates)
- rugged aluminum camping espresso maker, and a regular coffee pot in case of PROPER emergencies.

Apart from eating stuff, I've got:
- multitool
- folding saw
- rain cover
- plastic poncho
- first aid kit
- toilet paper
- a few packs of kleenex
- a couple of plastic bags

Canned food is kept in rotation, not in the bag; but stored right by the front door. Rechargeable bajillion lumen LED headlight is kept near canned goods. Really, everything that benefits from being rotated, used or charged should be kept separate, not tucked away (that includes guns and ammo; if you don't shoot your guns regularly, you will regularly miss what you aim for). Oh, and I have an arctic-winter-rated sleeping bag I would strap on the outside, and a 2-person tent I could schlep along as well.

All of this is very lightweight and pretty compact, though – most of the weight and volume of the pack is clothing. Several pairs of socks; some wool, some cotton. Multiple wool sweaters, extra pairs of pants, spare boot laces, underwear, more socks... I mean, sure, a survival blanket will last you a while, but I'd rather be fully mobile.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess a lot of preppers keep AR-7's in their cars:

It's just a .22, but that doesn't seem like the best idea.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

See, your stuff is so much more exciting than mine.

I've just updated my car kit based on recent experience and it now includes:

Hat+Coat
Starbucks loyalty card
£5 in cash
Powerbank for phone
Packet of mints
Bar of chocolate
Packet of tissues
Battery li-on jump starter (which also includes a USB for the phone, but I forgot that it could do that)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

what is the £5 for? a kebab?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Earwicker posted:

what is the £5 for? a kebab?

Not far off!

The credit / debit cards are fine for Mcdonalds, but you feel a real weeny using them to pay for £0.40 of chocolate bar.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

spog posted:

Not far off!

The credit / debit cards are fine for Mcdonalds, but you feel a real weeny using them to pay for £0.40 of chocolate bar.

You might want to consider a slightly larger amount of cash for the type of emergency where the power/phones/internet go out for a substantial amount of time, which means no one takes credit cards. I know yall don't have those in the UK as much we seem to here, but it can happen.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Earwicker posted:

You might want to consider a slightly larger amount of cash for the type of emergency where the power/phones/internet go out for a substantial amount of time, which means no one takes credit cards. I know yall don't have those in the UK as much we seem to here, but it can happen.

This amazes me, that mindset of "blackouts are a thing". Are they, really? I see several mentions of keeping food and cash on hand in case power goes out, but I can't really relate. Which is why my pack is filled with socks, I guess.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pursesnatcher posted:

This amazes me, that mindset of "blackouts are a thing". Are they, really? I see several mentions of keeping food and cash on hand in case power goes out, but I can't really relate. Which is why my pack is filled with socks, I guess.

I mean they aren't super frequent but they are common in the wake of a natural disaster. when I was a kid growing up in California we lost power for about a week and a half due to the Loma Prieta earthquake for example. in other parts of the US severe blizzards and hurricanes can take out power for days or more. And not just in remote areas, half of Manhattan lost power for like a week after Hurricane Sandy (and many surrounding areas had no power for even longer). so, if you are going to have an emergency kit, seems good to take that into consideration

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 20, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I've always carried at least 2 different credit cards, in case there is an issue with one (fraud on account, bank's system goes down, I lose the card, etc), but it's been a long time since I've considered the need to carry cash as a back-up in case of power-cut.

I guess that is because a lot of places in the UK simply cease trading if the POS goes down - you get a slack-jawed look of confusion if you suggest using a piece of paper and a calculator to take your payment.

It's probably a good idea to keep my walking around money a bit higher.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Hm. Here in Norway, we hardly ever get proper blackouts, and certainly not on that magnitude. Then again, our lack of disasters has led to there being serious talk of creating a completely cashless society within 2020.

Maybe I should start stacking up on US $ bills for my pack.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

spog posted:

I guess that is because a lot of places in the UK simply cease trading if the POS goes down - you get a slack-jawed look of confusion if you suggest using a piece of paper and a calculator to take your payment.

This has been my experience in Virginia as well. Either the place has generators and it's a moot point, or they don't and they're closed.

Not that I've had a lot of experience. Outages more than a couple hours are pretty drat rare here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

spog posted:

See, your stuff is so much more exciting than mine.

I've just updated my car kit based on recent experience and it now includes:

Hat+Coat
Starbucks loyalty card
£5 in cash
Powerbank for phone
Packet of mints
Bar of chocolate
Packet of tissues
Battery li-on jump starter (which also includes a USB for the phone, but I forgot that it could do that)

Good call

• Locked thread