Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Cyte

"Scanning their ship," I call, doing my best to sound calm in the face of all this danger and excitement, and hoping that Craig's going to be able to keep it together. I didn't catch what was being said, but it can't have been nice.

[22:56] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 14 (3d6+1=4, 3, 6)
[22:56] <Donut> Did you train Operations?
[22:56] <MollyMetroid> yes
[22:56] <Donut> If so add 1 to that, you get +1 for being a Corp
[22:56] <MollyMetroid> oh neat.
(So 15)

Edit: I should have said in the OOC bit that what I was doing was scanning. I thought it would be clear from "scanning their ship"; it was not.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Zoko takes a moment to peer at the churning whirlpool of symbols on the Carbon Hand. Their "hands" grow several vision-capable digits in the process, swirling in tune with the icons' movement. A litany of experiences with Glowy People communication soon comes bubbling to the surface. Quite literally: their limbs appear to be growing small bulbs from the effort of thinking.

"That go there, this too...Oh! Zoko think Zoko know where this is. Bird-lizard mean double-star, crooked X-thing mean ship travel ten days, red shiny globe is something Zoko forget. They spinning left-side to right-side; that secret from Song of Fire-Birdie. Zoko not know first Song, but know how Zhou sing it. Mean you count all other stuff three times."

They piece together what they can, cross their upper limbs, and nod cleverly to themselves.

I've been told we can make a Culture check to identify the Carbon Hand's iconography. Fortunately Zoko has a total of +2 to Culture so lemme just-
3d6+2: 6 (1,1,2) ok

rerolling w/ fate, Zoko knows better than this 3d6+2: 12 (3,2,5) I'll take it. Passing on Engineering+Gunnery since we don't have guns and Kayleen's a better engie?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

"Scanning...okay...gotcha. We got them, folks."

Scan is TN 14-CPU, which is 3. Rolled a [11] exactly.

The next attack roll against the target may increase or decrease the hit location of any Critical Hit by 1.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

"Targeting solution uploaded to guidance... Salvo away."

Seeker: 3d6+1 12 to place the swarm missiles in the squares with green markers.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The black hand iconography is familiar to Zoko after a few moments of thought. At first it was unclear, but then he remembers. The black hand is usually paired with another symbol - a black key. The Black Key were a group Zoko ran into in a few ports, who preached about the importance of humanity and the past in understanding one's place in the world, and how the way forward lies in grasping the will of the humans that were as gods. While the preachers mostly wore black keys, they were always guarded by thugs and toughs - and those had the black hand symbol on their necklaces, clothes or bodies somewhere.

What a religious group wants with your stuff is an open question.

The enemy's shields flicker for a moment, as power is diverted from them.

Enemy ship uses Divert Power.

The ship's computers, having easily hacked into the Carbon Hand's systems, begin to throw up errors. The crew of the other ship is fighting back, and the target lock is quickly lost in the hail of warring ICE.

Enemy ship uses Calibrate to clear Locked On.

The shields flicker again, recharging somewhat.

Enemy Ship uses Damage Control to regain some shields.

A missile flies from the ship, sailing for the nearest fighter, but the fighter rolls and dodges away, leaving the dummy-fired missile to explode uselessly.

They go for a dummy fire at the only thing in range - a fighter. Their facing means their guns actually cannot target anything. It has one action left but can't do anything with it as a result, as they aren't trying to jump away yet.

The two ships race away from each other now, and the increase in speed is clear. The Carbon Hand is trying to get away. However, trying to keep the advantage as it flies into a dust cloud, it slows and rotates, preparing itself to aim and fire at you. Their engines sputter out in the dust, however, and they are unable to fully move and prepare a firing solution.

First, they Full Burn to drop to Velocity 2 and rotate. Then, they attempt a Maneouvre and fail, so try again. ...and fail again.

You're up.

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

I think we want to stay in the enemy's rear arc for this, since the description of that made it sound like the missiles are the only thing that can fire in that direction. Since we're a Twi-Far ship, we can rotate 45 degrees and increase Velocity at the start of our turn. I asked Mors, and he didn't do that, but if we want to, that'd put us in the cloud, and let us rotate to face the Carbon Hand next turn. We'll take some damage from the cloud, but that means someone (probably me, Kayleen, or Zoko) will have to do Damage Control this turn, and since we already have fighters and missiles on the board, we can position them to wreck their poo poo once they leave the cloud.

Is this plan of attack cool with folks, or does anyone else have other ideas?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I am fine with that

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Let's do it!

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I'm in.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Sounds good. Should Granny roll any Command checks?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ship shifted to reflect this. You do not need to roll Command to move the Fighters around - just agree on who is controlling the Fighter swarm and they can do it. Command rolls can still be used to rotate the ship and/or change its Velocity (currently 5). Ship also takes 5 shield damage from entering the cloud.

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013
Excellent, thank you, Mors.

Okay. Craig is holding action until the Secondary System Phase, but if we pull off a Full Burn now, we can rotate 45 degrees clockwise and hopefully slip into the enemy's rear arc next turn. As far as I know, Poultry and Molly are our two Command folks, so if the above is agreeable, one of the two of you could do that, while the other handles fighters?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I can handle the nav if Granny handles the fighters, which is a breakdown that makes sense in my brain.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Granny

Hmmm. The other crew is skilled, but it looks like they neglected their intake screens. Most likely they lack a good support infrastructure, just a few wildcatted ships. Best to save the strategic ruminations until after the fight though. I update the fighters’ CnC parameters to compensate for the ship’s maneuvers.

“I’m altering the fighters’ trajectories to try and keep the enemy hemmed in the dust, but we will need some speed to ensure they don’t break out.”

Moved the fighters, they can’t get into range so no attack

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Cyte

"Think they can get away from us, do they? Hold on tight, everyone, I'm going to try to get us in behind them!"

[22:47] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 12 (3d6+1=4, 6, 1)

That's to do a full burn, rotate us 45 degrees clockwise, and reduce velocity to 2

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 17, 2016

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Zoko, somewhat bored with the opposing ship's halting maneuvers, hops off their perch and ambles towards Craig's seat. The sound of some very familiar grunts and gurgles is luring them in. Slowly but steadily the Zhou's mask cranes past the back of the Emissary's chair, until they see a paused sub-image of the Carbon Hand's Nephilim in all their fishy glory.

"Oh, that was their green guy Nefulhim. Look tough, in good gamey kind of way. Sound smart too, Craig. You right." The Zhou is, to their credit, attempting to whisper.

"But why green guy like Craig's <weaver>-" this half-word is spoken exactly as an old-fashioned Nephilim officer would have said it "-so much? Zoko know Craig clothes buy from low-floor Corp shop. Why send tasty gift basket there? Maybe he like you fashion?" Zoko stares at Craig's outfit with a tilt that may just suggest skepticism.

Otherwise holding off till Systems phase.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 19, 2016

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Connor looks up momentarily from his displays.

"It sounds like someone needs to have the talk with Zoko about Nephilim reproduction..."

Holding to the next phase.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I deeply apologize for the holiday delay! We now move into the systems phase. You guys still go first, as you still have higher CPU. Also, someone gets to take command of the missiles. They have a movement of 3, so they can each move 3...but they can't attack except at point blank range.

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

"Assholes just broke my lock. Let me try and--" Craig trails off in mid-sentence as Zoko pipes up from behind him, freezing for a second before he shakes out of it. The bioweapon understands him? That's both intriguing and absolutely terrifying.

"Number one, get back in your seat." Craig shoots a stern look back over his shoulder--or tries to, anyway. "Number two, that conversation was none of your business. Number three, that man is very dangerous, and I doubt you could eat him if you tried. You're lucky I kept the visual off. Number four--" Connor provides it, helpfully. "Connor is correct, I will explain later."

Rolling Operations in an attempt to Lock On:
[15:21.40] <Donut> .roll 3d6+1
[15:21.41] <skybot> Donut: 6 (3d6+1=2, 2, 1)

All the while, prompts and error messages flicker across Craig's screen; he's trying desperately to reestablish lock, but whomever's on the other end is one step ahead of him. "poo poo. Connor, can you get these assholes out of our computers? I can't get a lock!"

Connor, you want to try rolling Lock On, since that was a spectacular failure? Zoko and Kayleen, we should prolly get a Damage Control roll going to regen some shields, since we took damage from maneuvering in the cloud.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

"Certainly. It should be no trouble to isolate..." Error messages flicker across his screens. "They have gained access to primary targeting subroutines. One moment..." His hands fly across the control panels. "I can't re-establish a lock. These Twi-Far ships... they don't listen."

Oopsie-daisy. Calibrate: 3d6+1 7

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

"Mmm OK Craig. If say so." The Emissary's furious struggle with little shiny boxes does not inspire confidence, and the Zhou decides to postpone Craig's orders just a bit.

Zoko notices that the hurt shield lights, an inappropriately soothing set of green-blue lamps set on the bridge's ceiling, have turned on. Remembering what the last Twi-Far they traveled with did, they promptly shuffle towards one of the side consoles and open up a small latch. This reveals a set of ornate breaker switches; Zoko gives them all a good smack.

Within seconds the Munnin's barriers recede inwards like the tide, before blaring back out at full strength.

"It work! See?" Zoko flags Kayleen in particular and rapidly points at their handiwork. "Zoko good at engine hearing too!"

Rolling Damage Control, Engineering
<Bendi> .roll 3d6+1
<skybot> Bendi: 15 (3d6+1=2, 6, 6)
Consider that damage controlled!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

"You're an absolute whiz, darling." Kayleen looks back at Conner and the others. "This ship seems to be a little fussy, I think we gotta go about it a different way." She yanks a dial until it pops off, jams a multitool inside, and begins to root around. There's the sound of something crackling and the smell of ozone in the air as the vid screen of the target ship reads LOCKED ON.

"I'm about 90% certain that won't cause any major issues."

Calibrate at TN 9= [16]

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 11, 2017

• Locked thread