Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I live in Taiwan. It's a neat country. Taiwan has a national anthem and a national flag anthem, both of which are alright I guess, but they're both kind of midtempo major-key hymns and a little boring, and I was talking with a friend the other day about how it seems like most national anthems fall into the category of boring major-key hymns or Sousian marches. We may have been on drugs. I get that most national anthems are appropriately mid-tempo and kinda ploddingly memorable (and also most capital-n Nations on earth are post-colonial polities and their national anthems are ofc going to owe some debt to Western musical tradition), because they're intended to be easily memorable and evoke national pride, but I was wondering if there are any really neat national anthems that break from this mold.

Some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FFHC2D12Q
National Anthem of Japan

Neat! Also a good example of an anthem not explicitly descended from Western court music, although the synthesis in this case is between Western Imperial court music and Japanese imperial court music and so it's still just courtly as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6L_0NZlqk
National Anthem of Uruguay

Leaning more heavily on march than hymn, so it's not really the kind of mold-breaking national anthem that I'm sure exists somewhere, but at least it's peppy. And super long!

To wit, I'm trying to find some good examples of anthems that are musically novel and/or complex and/or interesting, though feel free to post some anthems that are lyrically alluring, because I know there are tons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread