Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Two weeks had passed, and the Veran Marsh grew closer with each step. The area near it was not the tainted horror that the festering blight beyond had become, but it was waste land. Sandy soil littered with rocks, it seemed to drink in the rain as it fell. There was a still, dead quality to the place. There were few settlements along the way, and those that were tended to be desperate enclaves, mostly Jarzoni refugees for whom the land felt like home. Still, there was life here. The soil was not kind, but could be tilled, and with the aid of magics life could prosper even in a place such as this.

Through this land the band of the Sovereign’s Finest rides, at the behest of Her Majesty’s Captain Saul Martin. The problem was bandits. Hamilton, a village in the foothills on the edge of the Veran Marsh, was plagued with them of late. The official dispatch mentioned Scarlett Connor, the noblewoman assigned to supervise the region, had declined the services of the Guard several times. “She is a proud woman,” Saul had said in his briefing. “The youngest daughter of an old noble family; I suspect she may be too eager to prove herself competent.” Without her sanction or a disaster too extreme to bear, the military would not be sent. “So we are sending the Finest,” he smiled. “A gesture of diplomatic import.”

Turning from the well trafficked main road, the group moved through the badlands. These were the true borderlands, the hills on the edge of the Marsh. Here were a number of isolated settlements, working what they could from the broken land. This did not feel like Aldis, the chill of shadow had touched the area. Still, life found its ways and learned to thrive here. As the dawn turns to the golden light of sun, the horses crest a ridge and see the sweep of the village below.

It is a small place, with two stone buildings rising from the center surrounded by smaller wooden ones. The first is clearly a small keep, the seat of power here, seeing to the needs of the three hundred souls that called this place home. The second is a Jarzoni temple, and the village has the concentric circle layout that is the mark of those places inhabited mostly by that people. They brought their ways with them, to be sure. In the distance, the hills are covered with bright green trellises in full summer flower. The grapes liked this soil, it seemed.

Beyond the hills, in the distance, a sick gray pall hangs over the world. That is the Veran Marsh proper, scarcely two miles from the town.

No sign of bandits. Perhaps they cower in fear, now that the Finest has arrived.

It is midsummer, you have spent the last two weeks riding to the eastern border, roughly fifty miles north of Lysana’s Crossing in that craggy foothilly area on the map. The real deal is your boss, Saul, sent you to see what was what. Hamilton is a village famous for its wine; grown from the grapes in the weird rear end soil near the marsh. It is mostly Jarzoni settlers, although some of them are third or fourth generation at this point. The noble who runs the place has refused aid for dealing with the bandits that have been loving with their shipments, and not much has been done because they have a fair degree of autonomy and even moreso given the frontier location. The FInest, however, are outside the traditional military structure, so y’all were sent to “deliver a bag of mail” and have a lookiee loo and see what the deal is and fix the problem.

Welcome to the Game! Character sheet in the first post, and maybe a vingette about the trip here to kind of establish character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Shevar

Shevar has climbed up onto whichever horse will willingly have a raccoon curled up on it. He looks like he's sleeping, head tucked under his tail. In truth, he is thinking.

He reaches out mentally, speaking to the rest of the party psychically.

My first suspicion is that any 'bandits' are in the employ of the noble in charge, taking back a cut of taxation. But I am naturally suspicious. It is equally possible that things are as we were told - excessive pride preventing her from asking for help.

Do you think they'll let us have some of the grapes? I like grapes.

OOC NOTE: Winson and I have assumed I've already established psychic contact with all of the party. It's two-way, and you can psychically speak to me all you want. It is possible to lie via psychic contact and you can break it off with a Willpower or Psychic Shield roll. It is not mind-reading - anything sent must be deliberately sent.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Remy

It's been a long quiet walk for Remy.

He was the only one of the group to admit he rather liked the idea of going to a marsh- his salt-weathered skin required the wet environs. It was a welcome environment, without the harsh reminders of the shore.

Aine had glared at him. He'd stopped talking about it.

"Perhaps they are such traitor work, Shevar," he says aloud. "But I think it best to give a prideful woman the benefit of the doubt."

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Armitage

Armitage had been mostly silent. He had been glad to travel. The hospitality in Aldis was appreciated, of course, but he had found the finery and comforts to be ucomfortably alien. While the lush life of the outdoors was also familiar, he found himself drawn to it. His eyes were always wide, as if hungrily drinking in every tree and moss-covered rock that their travels took them past. As they began to enter marsh-land however, he found his discomfort rising once more. He slapped at his arm, and cursed the mosquito that escaped his wrath, buzzing away to regroup no doubt.

"If it turns out our charge is actually a traitor, what shall we do then? Are we prepared to arrest a noble?"

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Penrose

"For my own part, I would rather meet our host before speculating about her malfeasance," Penrose said mildly. The trip had been a long one, but pleasant enough while passing through the lush central villages and farms of Aldis. While these eastern regions seemed less hospitable, Penrose reminded himself that they are no less Aldean and worthy of respect and protection. He shielded his eyes against the rising sun. "We will do what we are sworn to do, but before we've anyone to arrest, we've the truth to uncover." He compared the village before him to a map he pulled from a side pocket. "By the look of things, not much has changed since the last cartographers were here," he commented.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Nerana

Subdued and quiet during the ride, especially once the terrain became less hospitable, Nerana at least perks up at the sight of the trellises of grapes. If something can grow and thrive here, then there is hope for the lives of those who dwell in the area to be other than dismal and grey.

"I am sure they can spare some grapes for you, Shevar," she says, smiling broadly. "And I'm sure that between us all, we'll be able to root out the truth and get to the bottom of this before long indeed!" Her optimism may feel a little bit forced, but Nerana is, if nothing else, sincere.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Riding further, the group gets some stares from village folk. Clearly an armed and armored group on horse is a usual sight in this place. The sigul of the Finest is clearly recognized by some, and some of the children venture waves or shouts of greeting, but for the most part the place seems rather subdued. The band draws up short at the village square. Between the two great stone buildings is an open courtyard paved with neat flagstones. It is a very pretty mosaic effect and the quicker of eye might see that it is a kind of abstracted pantheon of the gods, although only six are present. In the center is a raised dais, in the center of which is a broad fountain with pedestal or platform in the center, there are steps leading to this arching over. To Remy and Shevar something is immediately evident, something was once in that center and has been removed.

The two great stone buildings face each other across this space. The keep is well kept, and has the look of a well tended stone mansion rather than a fortress. Still, the shutters are banded with iron and it is clear in times of need it is made to be sealed tight. The gates stand open currently, leading to a small courtyard within. Across is a Jarzoni church, stone and timber construction. It is a humble place, and ivy has been allowed to creep up the walls. Nerana recognizes some of the vines growing as wild roses, but they have an unkempt, unkept look to them. There are a few other buildings around the courtyard, all timber and board affairs. There is an inn called Goia's Respite, what appears to be a general store called simply "Tooks," a large smithy, and what might be a tailor or seamstress shop if the cloth hanging outside is any judge.

There are a number of people in the village center, most of whom have stopped working or gossiping or whatever it was they are about and merely gawp at the newcomers. They look like they expect something.

Arivia will be joining us in a bit!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Armitage

Armitage narrows his eyes as he observes the people around them. Truly, the party was a motley bunch, but even so this much attention...

"Aherm. Mayhaps we should not delay in reporting to Scarlett Connor..."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Shevar

Give me just a moment. Oh, and I'm going to try to pretend to be a normal animal unless someone notices otherwise.

Shevar's eyes open, and he leaps down off the horse. He scurries about for a moment, then picks up some fallen morsel in one hand, scurrying over to the fountain. He hops into fountain, rubbing his grabbed crust under the water, rolling it around, brushing up against the pedestal and, in general, being a raccoon. He's quite good at being a raccoon. The key, however, is in touching the pedestal.

As he touches it, his mind opens.

Object Reading active use: [03:15.15] <skybot> MorsRattus: 16 (3d6+3=1, 6, 6), which hits the TN 15 threshold - a longer, accurate vision of events that left a psychic impression surrounding the object in a particular place and time, which I can review backwards and forwards as I please.
Fatigue test: [03:17.29] <skybot> MorsRattus: 10 (3d6+2=1, 3, 4)

Shevar is now Winded (-1 to all tests, cannot Run or Charge) until he gets a five minute breather.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Nerana

Nerana shrugs. "Maybe a gesture to show that we're friendly," she suggests, slipping off her horse and moving over to the wild roses. She reaches out, closing her eyes and concentrating, and focuses her power to make the roses bloom and thrive.

[15:38] <MollyMetroid> .roll 3d6+3
[15:38] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 18 (3d6+3=6, 3, 6)

and the willpower roll for Fatigue...

15:40] <MollyMetroid> .roll 3d6+3 for fatigue
[15:40] <skybot> MollyMetroid: for fatigue: 16 (3d6+3=3, 6, 4)

the TN for plant shaping fatigue is 11 so Nerana should be good.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 29, 2016

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I'm hanging back for the moment to see how people react to Nerana's gesture and Shevar's behavior.

Penrose smiles gamely at the villagers. Likely they haven't seen a lot of travelers in some time.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Shevar hits the water of the fountain, splashing and swimming about. It gets a fair chuckle from the crowd, and as the rhy-coon clambers up to the other side he is given a vision of a great bronze statue of Leonoth done in the Jarzoni fashion. It holds a sword with point resting on the ground in one hand and in the other a pure flame burning through what may be a small but clever bit of arcana. As he does so, Nerana extends her will to the wall of the faded church. Within the space of a moment a dozen roses are in full bloom, and the air of the courtyard is redolent with the scent. There are gasps from the crowd, followed by a smattering of applause. Penrose can not help but notice among the cheery reactions are more than a few suspicious looks, bordering on a species of fear.

Now there is quite a crowd, and they look at the band even more expectantly. On the balcony of the keep, a balcony that would be ideal for addressing this crowd, an olive skinned woman in her mid thirties has stepped out. She is simply dressed, but the cut of the cloth is very fine and there is an elegance to her that suggests she is likely the noble they have come to see. She looks down as well, expectantly.

Also very quietly, a quartet of guard has appeared in the threshold of the keep's great gate.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Remy

Remy looks up at the lady on the balcony and sketches a very, very rough bow- the bow of someone who learned fairly recently and mostly is doing it as a series of taught motions, not a continuous action.

"Good day, my lady. Do we have the honor of addressing the lady Conner?" He smiles, a roguish crack in his poor imitation of a courtier. "I hope we haven't caught you off guard."

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Penrose

Still smiling, Penrose dismounts and straightens out his cloak, spreading it with his elbows so his hands are free. The gesture serves two purposes: it shows him empty-handed, an emissary of peace, and it draws attention to the Blue Rose device on the cloak. Remy is already engaging the Lady Connor, so Penrose takes in the assembled people, trying especially to notice anything the people have in common who looked suspicious and afraid at Nerana's gesture of good-will.

I believe this is a Perception task, yes? Perception: (2d6+1d6)+2 10.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Shevar

Shevar climbs up onto Nerana's shoulder, happy to pretend to be her pet raccoon. He sits there, looking adorable, while telepathing at his friends.

There was a religious statue there...vaguely Jarzoni in design, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. I have no idea why it was removed.

He bats at a stray strand of Nerana's hair playfully.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

The woman smiles broadly. "The Finest! It has been so long since we have gotten official visitors," she says. "Come, come, arrangements shall be made for you. This evening we shall have a welcoming feast, welcome, welcome!" Penrose can see the disturbed folks in the crowd are a little assuaged by this but not much, mostly older folk by the look of it.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Armitage

Armitage can feel the tension leave his chest as the noblewoman welcomes them. For a minute there, he feared the worst, but apparently everything is actually above board and fine and there are no problems.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Nerana

Nerana giggles at Shevar's antics. Who knows what that could mean, though? And this church--these roses were untended until I arrived. I wonder if that's connected?

She looks up at the woman as she gives her greeting speech, absently reaching up to ruffle Shevar's fur while she does.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Penrose

Penrose smiles more genially and strokes his horse's neck. The well-trained mount must surely be tired and thirsty after so long a ride, but she stood still, only nickering softly at his touch. The church being also ill-tended is surely related; sometimes border folk grow mistrustful of foreign ways when they fear foreign attack.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aine

Aine steps forward. "Thank you very much, milady. Come, companions - no reason to keep nobility waiting." She strides forward, approaching the guards at the gate, smiling. "Where is the stables for our horses?"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

The answer to that, it seems, is the town livery. The stables inside the keep are full, the horses of the town guard putting them at capacity. A well appointed, wealthy guard it is. With that the group is welcomed to the keep itself, which inside is luxuriously appointed. Clearly they are doing well out here. A bath, a meal, and a change of clothes puts the Finest in their finest come early evening, when the sounds of music can be heard from the square. Any attempts to question Lady Connor or the like are politely rebuffed; they must be seen to following their long travels and she is making ready for the welcoming feast in the square tonight.

Three rooms are given to the Finest, a suite connected to a large central chamber set high in the largest of the towers of the keep. It affords an excellent view of the valley, the sweep of vines along the hills into the distance backed by the lurking darkness of the Veran Marsh. The rooms are tasteful, comfortable, but simple. The central room is far more well appointed, couches around a central pit in which is kindled an arcane fire which keeps the room lit and pleasant. The group has been appointed a servant, a slender young man named Halford, who seems eager enough to please.

"The feast will commence in one hour," he says. "You will be expected to set us on with a word." This last is offered almost apologetically.

Last chance to confer/plan/compare notes before you go into the stew.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Nerana

"So it seems like there was some sort of religious statue in the fountain that was removed, as Shevar said," Nerana says conversationally to the others, "and those roses on the church hadn't been tended to--I bet the church itself is in a similar state of disrepair. What do you think that could mean?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Remy

"Well, the obvious answer is they've lost faith," says Remy. "The question is why, and what has trickled in its place. Many things prey on the mind of someone who doesn't have anything left to believe in."

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Penrose

"Or faith itself may have served the predator," Penrose muses. "More than a few clergy have been touched by Shadow before and sorcery will hide wherever it can. Did any of the rest of you see how some of the older townsfolk reacted to Nerana's power? I fear they have been wronged by people using arcana, perhaps even by those purporting to help."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Armitage

Armitage grunts, leaning back and resting his feet in front of the fire. "It may simply be that the nobility here has failed its people, whether by intent or through pride. I know first-hand how faith in anything can suffer when the world you live in offers only pain and fear. Given that the noblewoman has turned down aid multiple times, despite the persistance of bandits, I would wager that hope is in short supply in these parts."

Armitage smiles grimly, pulling his feet back to his body and leaning forward, feeling the heat of the fire flush on his face. "We'll simply have to do our best to correct that."

• Locked thread