Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: Update time! :siren:

Where we become Real loving Ninjas.

Also I wasn't kidding. I missed literally 2 bullets:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Aww, you missed out on loving with the lads doing target practice. Also a bit of dialog explaining why there are Nazis up the stairs.

Was "The Tale of a Real loving Ninja" intentional? Because that's pretty good.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Who was that guy, Frank Miller? I couldn't get past a minute of that rant.

Fun episode, though I expected more gangster blood spilt.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

Aww, you missed out on loving with the lads doing target practice. Also a bit of dialog explaining why there are Nazis up the stairs.
Yeah, I missed the shooting range fuckery. I noticed the button during a few of the passes, but since I was mostly cleaning up the areas to get the safes I kinda forgot about it, and by the time I read you could tamper with it I already had the episode wrapped up... and to be honest, I was kinda burned out at that point. Pavel took me a lot of tries to get right; I would either get spotted by someone I failed to notice, a takedown prompt would never show up (like the guy in the stairs or the one after the latrines who just walks into the room and it takes me like 2 secs to knock out), or a conversation just wouldn't want to trigger. You can see me doing the 'trigger already' dance in Venice, and there's a bit of dialogue where the band yells at you for touching their instruments that I saw once and never again.

To give you an idea, this update is stitched up from 7 different videos. See if you guys can spot all cuts! :v:

Xander77 posted:

Was "The Tale of a Real loving Ninja" intentional? Because that's pretty good.
I don't follow. Was what intentional?

bman in 2288 posted:

Who was that guy, Frank Miller? I couldn't get past a minute of that rant.

Fun episode, though I expected more gangster blood spilt.
That's why I edited it out; I thought it was oddly long while I was playing it, but on a rewatch it was even worse so I just decided to put it at the end.

It wasn't Dark Railtracer levels of murder, but I did shoot a bunch of dudes in the face with ball bearings. :colbert:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I don't follow. Was what intentional?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=The+Story+of+a+Real+Man

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Look mate, I appreciate the explanation but there's no need to be a dick about it and throw a bloody lmgtfy link at me. Especially considering what you so kindly googled for me is not what you quoted in the first place.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Quick update: sorry about the lack of video yesterday, I had a rather rough week and a bunch of stuff took priority over the editing/subbing.

I'll try and resume our regular schedule by Monday.

Have a good one, everyone.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I didn't realize the Pavel map was actually about getting drunk out of your mind. But it makes sense.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

... Who's Kisly?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

HardDiskD posted:

... Who's Kisly?
A bandit. He might be mentioned in the "Venice" chapter of the main game, I don't remember and am unable to check. I think the story here is that the Venice mob turn on Pavel after the events in that chapter.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

HardDiskD posted:

... Who's Kisly?

Or is it Sputnik posted:

A bandit. He might be mentioned in the "Venice" chapter of the main game, I don't remember and am unable to check. I think the story here is that the Venice mob turn on Pavel after the events in that chapter.

He gets namedropped by the prostitutes in Venice after Pavel tells them off:

My best guess is that he's this guy that you see when you enter the room Pavel's in at the end of the level:

I think he was Pavel's contact in Venice, and they had a... disagreement right before Artyom shows up and Kisliy ends up dead. It would explain why Pavel ends up in the dungeons.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Take as much time as you need, sorry about not noticing the Pavel video earlier. Man, he can be played as a real dick sometimes.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we look at things from a distance. Through a scope.

Aaaaand we're back! Sorry again about the lack of update last week.

So, we have 3 more videos to go: Khan's mission from Chronicles, a quick look at the Developer Pack, and Kshatriya, the last mission from the Factions Pack. I won't be doing Tower Pack because it's rubbish; I may show off the first couple levels alongside Developer but I'm not promising it at this point. Kshatriya is gonna take me a while to do, I have 37 gb of raw footage (and I may have to re-record some sections :gonk:) for it and I want to see about editing it in a way that shows off the mission but doesn't become a 2 hour long bore, since there's a lot of backtracking. I think I have a good 'route' by now, so we'll see how it goes.

/edit: Apologies for the subtitling mistake right after the first zipline. I changed the line and it slipped; but changing it now would mean taking the video down for 4 or 5 hours until I re-encode and upload it and I don't think it's worth it.
:(

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 27, 2017

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

You didn't mention it in the video, but this is actually a reworked (and slightly expanded, I think) version of a Metro 2033 map. Artyom starts underneath those catwalks where you two-shotted the Nazi heavies.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

StandardVC10 posted:

You didn't mention it in the video, but this is actually a reworked (and slightly expanded, I think) version of a Metro 2033 map. Artyom starts underneath those catwalks where you two-shotted the Nazi heavies.

Huh, that it does! It's been a (long) while since I played 2033, so that went completely over my head.

quote:

This level is set in the same area as Outpost level from Metro 2033, with new accessible areas and minor tweaks. As it's now spring, the ice has melted and new structures such as watch towers have been erected. Also the weather is dramatically different from the original.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
They did a bit of a rough job on the checkpointing in the Factions DLC pack, huh?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

paragon1 posted:

They did a bit of a rough job on the checkpointing in the Factions DLC pack, huh?

If I recall correctly, most of the DLC was a rush job; all 4 packs DLC were released within a 2 month period and soon after that 4A Games moved from Ukraine to Malta, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were working at half manpower for them. There also was THQ going under and Deep Silver taking over as publisher somewhere along the development; that was during the game itself and not the DLC, but who knows what the hell happened behind the scenes during that time. At the very least, the "Ranger Mode is now $5" fuckery from the base game came from that according to Deep Silver.

Heavy Squad and Sniper Team have serious collision detection issues; you saw the phantom grenades going through barriers and shots hitting me out of nowhere in HS, and unfortunately I lost the footage from my first run through Sniper Team, but I counted at least 4 instances where I would see the 'bullet' go through enemies and not even register (not like the 2-shot issue, just straight up noclipping through them). The guard I knife starts twitching because he wants to clip through the rafter; I know this because I fell through the floor in that same section and drowned. Those checkpoints should have triggered some sort of QA response, and yet...

In spite of all my complaining and apparent hate for the DLC -which I'm still worried is showing too much in my commentary- I honestly like some of the missions. Pavel and Khan's are both enjoyable, Spider Lair is a fun romp (at least on a first playthrough) and Kshatriya is actually really good and provides a completely different experience from the rest of the game, which is quite welcome.

Problem is, this only serves to highlight where the effort went in each pack: on the one hand you have Kshatriya... which came packaged with Heavy Squad and Sniper Team. Pavel's mission is great, Khan's is fun and Anna's falls on its face. Spider Lair came packaged with Developer which is a neat bonus but adds no value whatsoever, and Tower... well. Let's just say that when people talk about the Metro series, 'combat' and 'online leaderboards' are not the first things that come to mind and for a bloody good reason.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we go on a journey to the past.

Here's a better look at the Bigun:

And this is the contest it originated from:
http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/pc/news/g51aea2c410d15/Winner-of-Gameplanets-Metro-Last-Light-PC-competition-announced/

(How this didn't win I have no idea).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

The Bigun is hilarious. If you equip one in the Developer map and sit around a while, you'll ring the bell!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Now that's a good mission and that's a great gun design. Reminds me a lot of the jury-rigged weapons present in the first game.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

The Khan DLC, as shown also delves a bit more into just how goddamn screwed up the Metro as a whole is; partly by showing off all the ratty ways people can disappear into the dark, partly by letting you be quite vigorously wigged out by the superb sound design for this level, and mostly for flat-out showing the horrible poo poo Khan's had to deal with in the past; Nosalis really do not gently caress around.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

StandardVC10 posted:

The Bigun is hilarious. If you equip one in the Developer map and sit around a while, you'll ring the bell!

Samovar posted:

that's a great gun design. Reminds me a lot of the jury-rigged weapons present in the first game.
The Bigun is fantastic, especially when you notice exactly what it's made out of; too bad it's kinda hard to notice all the little details during the mission with the nosalises trying to chew your face. It's kinda sad that they give you an extended-barrel Shambler after the first firefight, since it outclasses the Bigun for the second part of the flashback, although you can just keep both and swap between them instead of having to reload.

Sel Nar posted:

The Khan DLC, as shown also delves a bit more into just how goddamn screwed up the Metro as a whole is; partly by showing off all the ratty ways people can disappear into the dark, partly by letting you be quite vigorously wigged out by the superb sound design for this level, and mostly for flat-out showing the horrible poo poo Khan's had to deal with in the past; Nosalis really do not gently caress around.

Samovar posted:

Now that's a good mission
Yeah, I love that they went back to the more supernatural/hosed up parts of the Metro universe instead of "hey guys, we heard you loved the combat in LL, so here's more of it!" like most of the DLC missions seem to focus on, and putting you in Uhlman's boots gives Khan the chance to bounce off someone who actually respects him and doesn't think he's completely insane (and isn't a mute).

Oh, and this was posted before in the thread, but in case you're just joining us, here's the Mobius trailer I mention in the video.

Metro: Last Light - Mobius Trailer

quote:

The Mobius was created by Alexander Bereznyak, aka Monakh, who was originally employed by 4A as a capture artist. Soon it turned out that his talent was needed in the production team and he took over the role as lead technical artist. But over a couple of months, he continued to work alone on this trailer, that is now made public.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we know true fear.

One more video to go! Kshatriya is one of the best DLC levels, but it's also really long so it may take me a bit longer to do; expect it to be up in two Mondays from now..

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeeaaahh...

The thiong about the Tower is: it's hard. Reeeally, really, really hard, in comparison with the rest of Metro; I don't even think I got past the first part because of the bullshit flying at me. It is a level based on combat, and the combat... just really isn't that good.

Kshatriya is indeed the bomb, though, so I look forward to that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh, the Abzats is so beautiful. Why they never brought it back in the main game, I'll never know. Perfect mix of kick-rear end with stupidly jury-rigged tech.

Edit: But what the heck does it translate to? Duplet is pretty obvious, but looking online seems to suggest it means: 'paragraph'. That can't be right, can it?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 16, 2017

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

resurgam40 posted:

Yeeaaahh...

The thiong about the Tower is: it's hard. Reeeally, really, really hard, in comparison with the rest of Metro; I don't even think I got past the first part because of the bullshit flying at me. It is a level based on combat, and the combat... just really isn't that good.

Kshatriya is indeed the bomb, though, so I look forward to that.

Tower is just dumb hard to the point of not being fun.

I ended up loving Kshatriya, but it's hella long. I have 30 gigs of RAW files and close to 2 hours of footage (Kshatriya is longer but I've already played so there's not much bumbling about), but -for now- my final edit is 48 mins after editing out backtracking and back-and-forthing between base and museum.

Samovar posted:

Oh, the Abzats is so beautiful. Why they never brought it back in the main game, I'll never know. Perfect mix of kick-rear end with stupidly jury-rigged tech.

Oh, I was going to mention it during the video but thought the Abzats gushing was going on for too long already: The Abzats was a special weapon that came with buying the season pass, which would make it show up in a few places in both 2033 and LL; in LL Redux you can pick it up during Undercity but I'm but sure if you can buy it.

quote:

The Abzats is a promotional weapon that requires the player to have purchased the Season Pass in order to appear.

*Can be taken from the armory in D6 for free, though it will be lost after Ashes unless playing on Ranger difficulties.
*The only one found, not bought, is found in Undercity, near the door that uses a wooden crank to open, and makes short work of the nearby Nosalis horde.
*One can be bought in the Depot level, costing 200 MGRs on Hardcore.
*One can be obtained at the end of the game in D6 for free.

Samovar posted:

Edit: But what the heck does it translate to? Duplet is pretty obvious, but looking online seems to suggest it means: 'paragraph'. That can't be right, can it?

quote:

The word abzats (абзац) actually means "paragraph", but in slang its meaning is "Wow!" or "Oh crap!" - both applicable to this weapon.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The slang is very appropriate.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: Final update time! :siren:

Where we go to the Library.

Wikipedia posted:

Kshatriya (from kshatra, "rule, authority") is one of the four varna (social orders) of the Hindu society.

Here's a map of the level in case you're curious (click for ginormous):

Some stuff I didn't mention during the video (or that I didn't know at the time):
-You can't 'top up' on lightbulbs, you need to spend all 6 before you can pick more up.
-Kuzmich has a pet Lurker, sometimes it's on his shoulder, sometimes in that cage near the filters. I stare at it a couple times.
-The loving vines do extra damage to your mask, that's why I had to replace mine at one point before the first Librarian room.
-Those planks around 42:30 I comment on? They're safe in Kshatriya, but you can totally fall through them in 2033, and land right next to a Librarian.

This is the last piece of DLC, officially marking the end of this LP. We do end on a high note, since Kshatriya is one of the best (if not THE best) of the DLC missions.

I'll be flagging the LP for archival, but I'll leave the thread open and plan to be around until then, so do feel free to post.

I already got some feedback when we completed the main game, but if you're just catching up or just want to leave some constructive critique, I would really appreciate it. This has very much been a learning experience for me, so any input will help me improve future projects.

Goodbye! Farewell! Parting is such sweet sorrow.

See you next LP.

Thread has given Edmond a sock? Edmond is free!!!!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
loving vines is right... i ended up gasping out more times than I care to admit. It's good to see the old Library again, even if it is still the worst place in the world.

And thanks for bringing us through in fine style, Edmond! This was always a hole I was hoping would be filled, and you were the guy to do it. Will be looking forward to your next project... so until then, stay low, check your filters, and watch for demons!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I think I used the Helsing you sold to kill the ambush Librarian at the end of the level when I played it. :v:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I really don't have anything to comment on the LP itself, great stuff!

As for Kshatriya, in one hand I like how it is relatively short, but in the other it could have had just a bit more things to collect, though this feeling might be because you cut out the backtracking. Another thing is that it could have used more commentary by Shaman about some of the things that you bring to him.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

resurgam40 posted:

loving vines is right... i ended up gasping out more times than I care to admit. It's good to see the old Library again, even if it is still the worst place in the world.

And thanks for bringing us through in fine style, Edmond! This was always a hole I was hoping would be filled, and you were the guy to do it. Will be looking forward to your next project... so until then, stay low, check your filters, and watch for demons!
You're more likely to die from the vines breaking your mask than them killing you outright. Prehensile assholes.

Thanks, and glad you enjoyed it! :toot: I have something in mind and may be running a test recording soon to see how it works with subs, so stay tuned!

StandardVC10 posted:

I think I used the Helsing you sold to kill the ambush Librarian at the end of the level when I played it. :v:
I was 99% sure I'd have to fight the last one the first time I ran into him, he scared the dick off me. I think the guy we steal the Helsing from is supposed to be the guy they sent us to replace, who according to the twins 'got eaten'. It's still a rubbish gun. :colbert:

HardDiskD posted:

I really don't have anything to comment on the LP itself, great stuff!

As for Kshatriya, in one hand I like how it is relatively short, but in the other it could have had just a bit more things to collect, though this feeling might be because you cut out the backtracking. Another thing is that it could have used more commentary by Shaman about some of the things that you bring to him.

Obrigado! :D

I kinda 'cheated' in the sense that I knew when to take advantage of being close to a shortcut instead of trying to minimise trips. I was originally going to do a blind run of the level (still edited), but there was a lot of uninteresting bumbling around and I decided to go for the streamlined run. My first run through Kshatriya clocked at 1 hour 45 minutes; that's recorded time, so about 2 hours if we consider a couple of unlucky Librarian spawns which resulted in deaths. This final run is 1 hour 15 minutes, edited down to the 48 mins I uploaded. That means I cut out about 27 minutes of backtracking and busywork at base like saving/buying filters and ammo.

Kshatriya is super tense the first time you play it and have no idea what to expect, but the Dragonbreath rounds make things a bit too easy: they hit like a loving ton of bricks and there's no reason not to go straight for the Shambler as soon as you get the money for it. Even if you haven't played the level, the first time you 1-shot a Nosalis with the incendiary shells you should be all 'yup, time to get a Shambler'.
Also survivability snowballs really hard as soon as you get better weapons: unless your aim is shite getting into fights actually nets you a positive amount of money. One way of easily exploiting this is just hanging out at the base entrance and opening/closing the blast doors until Nosalises spawn. We started out penny pinching but after we got the hazmat suit we were rolling in cash for the rest of the mission. I think I had like 20 minutes of air by the time I got the metro map.

Seconding the Shaman bit, his lines are super generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
LP is over, thread very much so and I've already requested archival, so I think it's time to close this.

Thanks to everyone who watched, posted or just followed the thread. It was a great, fun experience (with some frustrating moments like recording an episode for the nth time :argh:) and I've learned a lot making this LP.

I've also started a new LP, so you're more than welcome to come in and check it out:

Don't go out. Let's Play INSIDE.

• Locked thread