Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
gently caress, I tried this in Ask/Tell and no one answered. Sorry to make a thread but I didn't see a 'general idiotic questions from newbies' post.
:(

I want to buy an UHD Bluray player, but they're very expensive stand alone. However, there is an Xbox (S) that has a player builtin for about the same price ($300).
I am not a gamer, but if I can get more function for my buck, I figure why not.

So, the questions:
* any reason not to buy the low end storage version (500gb)? If I were to get into gaming or if I make a friend, I could add an external hdd, right?
* do I have to have the 'Live' thing to play even disk based games or use any features?
* can it play older Xbox games?

Thank you, nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
500gb is fine, you can add an external HDD.
Live is used for online games, and monthly specials, if you don't play online you'll be fine.
It can play most 360 games through backwards compatibility.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

CitizenKain posted:

500gb is fine, you can add an external HDD.
Live is used for online games, and monthly specials, if you don't play online you'll be fine.

That pretty much answers my questions. Thanks very much!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CitizenKain posted:

Whooooa easy there. "Some" is a better word. There's a list, and a lot of good and great 360 games aren't on it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's 250+ 360 backwards compatible games and the list keeps growing. In my opinion, the list has a lot of essential 360 titles, and with a few exceptions, the games run slightly better on Xbox One than they do on native 360. You can even pick up a lot of them for under :10bux: at this point too. Xbox One's improved a ton since the initial launch.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's the cheapest UHD player out right now.

The people who say it's bad for games are really into PC gaming and PS4 gaming, so ignore them if it's not a huge issue for you.

Backwards compatibility is nice frosting on a good cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's 250+ 360 backwards compatible games and the list keeps growing. In my opinion, the list has a lot of essential 360 titles, and with a few exceptions, the games run slightly better on Xbox One than they do on native 360. You can even pick up a lot of them for under :10bux: at this point too. Xbox One's improved a ton since the initial launch.

That list is pretty well padded by Arcade titles nobody cares about, and the thing where games run slightly better doesn't always apply - ask anyone with Halo Reach. There are still very large gaps - Forza Horizon is the only Forza game that works, Burnout Paradise isn't there, Red Dead is the only Rockstar game, Assassins Creed I and II are the only ones in that series that work. It's a nice value-add for the Bone and God knows it's better than it was a year ago but it's important not to overstate it. Just look at wikipedia's list of 360 games and the BC column on the right. If you're looking to play 360 games - and there's never been a better time for that by the way, GameStop wants you to take them off their hands - you need to get a 360.

• Locked thread