Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Cubs are going to lose to the Red Sox in the World Series because the Red Sox are apparently never going to lose again.

So then Poque's happy either way, right?

quote:

Does this mean you weren't wearing Cardinals gear at the game?

Oh, I was. My 1982 champs shirt and a Cards hat. Even with the Cards gear I try not to be a partisan rear end in a top hat, though. She'd noticed me joining in the Ross ovations throughout the game earlier and said something about it. Me clearly having none of the Chapman hype when I was joining in the Ross applause earlier must have stood out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

I don't buy the 100 win curse, the math says you have about a 10% chance to win the WS and about 10% of 100 win teams have won the WS since the start of the wild card system(2 of 22), and one of the years that one of them won it there were 2 other 100 win teams which skews the numbers since they can't all win. I think if anything it just reinforces that regular season record means gently caress all in the playoffs.

Hell, the Cardinals won the WS in 1967 (much more recently than the Cubs have been *been* to one!) and that was a part of a 4 year stretch where the WS was won by a 100-win team each year.

Don't get me wrong, the Cubs will not win the WS but 100 wins isn't going to be why. It's going to be that damned goat.

Yeah, the "can't win the WS if you won >100 games in the regular season" thing is idiotic; there's obviously nothing precluding a successful team from winning in the postseason, but if there's any correlation then it probably has to do with the team overextending and having nothing left when they reach the playoffs. See: all the starting pitchers obsessed with throwing 200 regular-season innings, without paying any consideration to the fact that if they make the postseason they'll possibly pitch a few dozen more innings.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Cubs/status/780478393410129920/photo/1

I was expecting tonight's lineup to be scrub city, but I guess not.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Considering how reliant Hendricks is on good defense, particularly IF defense, I doubt Maddon is going to completely run out the scrubs while he's on the mound. My guess is he'll periodically rotate guys in and out 2-3 at a time like he's doing with Fowler/Zobrist tonight. Or maybe we'll get a scrub game when Zastryzny gets the start on Thursday.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
gonna get depressed as heck over this pregame ceremony :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
:siren: Final Regular Season GDT is up! :siren:

• Locked thread