Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm not sure which phrase is worse, "large pool of dog grease" or "wet dog bacon" :dogstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hate everything.

my favorite movie theater is shutting down next month. it's the last of my regular go-tos after everywhere else I have been going to for years(restaurants, stores, etc) shut down during the initial covid years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGqZFWKbTZU&hd=1

they're keeping the most recent and state of the art location in Manchester open, but the one I always went to was already a bit of a hike, and that one is a further 15 miles away. it was one of the pioneers of the movie theater restaurant of the modern day, and I like the looser, more casual feel rather than alamo drafthouse types. Plus the tickets there were six or seven bucks, which is just crazy these days, and they had tons of events and special showings. Chunky's was my place to go to see basically every movie that I go see nowadays, and a bit of an escapism place for me. this just sucks so loving much.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Apr 4, 2024

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

How's your mother doing?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She's doing alright, I'm currently taking care of her(more than usual) after she had lengthy heart surgery. I detailed it in the "why was your day awesome today" thread:

Captain Invictus posted:

took mom in for a cauterization ablation at 5 this morning in Boston. some of the best doctors in the world are there, so I knew she was in good hands, even if I literally had a nightmare where she died while being operated on right before I took her in that certainly loving shook me. They worked on her for somewhere between 5-6 hours, apparently there were a lot of spots they wanted to do and they also had to check prior work. it's wild to hear how they do it, they thread a little robot tube catheter thingy up through the artery in your inner thigh all the way up into your heart, and then burn malfunctioning heart tissue and nerves to prevent faulty signals to be able to complete(which causes Afib). She had the cryo version done a decade ago but it didn't work for very long. this version is much more involved and intense, but also has a higher chance of success because it's targeted whereas the cryo version is more of a blanket thing, they literally fill up a balloon in your heart and make it cold so it affects an entire area of the heart rather than specific locations.

I finally got a call that everything went well and I could go visit her while she woke up and stayed horizontal for 3 hours, then they did some basic standing, sitting, and movement tests, and kicked her right out because a ton of people were there and they cycle people out as fast as they can. we got home a little while ago, and she's once again feeling fine. luck willing, she won't have to deal with Afib for the rest of her life, and greatly improve her day to day living. and we won't need to go to the loving ER every other week like we have been. also she'll be able to get off a bunch of meds, which is always a bonus
she's been extraordinarily tired due to the procedure and sleeping a ton every day, but as she weans off the ridiculous levels of medications she's been on lately, we're hoping she'll be back to normal or better within the month.

ideally this will mean I won't be making constant posts in this thread about poo poo going wrong with her health anymore and she can finally go a few months without something disastrous happening.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Apr 4, 2024

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Good. It amazes me how far we've come in heart surgeries. My father had a bypass in '86 that he felt the rest of his life. My brother had one three months ago and is already nearly 100%.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

venus de lmao posted:

Going to try to make it through today without breaking down.

Don't know if I can (update: nope)

My friend is gone. My life has been upended.

I'm so tired of hearing how sorry everyone is. It hurts more than words can express. Check in on the people you love. Tell them you love them before you can't anymore. There was a lot I should have said, and a lot I shouldn't have said, and now I can never make it right.

Suicide destroys so many more lives than just the one. Please reach out to someone if you're struggling.

Previous post was an hour after I found her, I was still in shock.

This kind of got lost, but let me know if you just want to chat or something. I've got DMS.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Marcade posted:

Good. It amazes me how far we've come in heart surgeries. My father had a bypass in '86 that he felt the rest of his life. My brother had one three months ago and is already nearly 100%.
mom had a lemon-sized brain tumor at the fore of her brain in 2000. they had to saw the entire front part of her skull, from the ears up and around and forward right above the eye sockets, and pull it away and part of her face down to get to it. she now has no feeling in the majority of the top half of her skull and has a bigass titanium plate bolted to the two parts of her skull from the procedure.

nowadays they'd drill a hole and slurp that fucker up with a robot tube and bob's your uncle

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I just discovered that a short film I was hired as a producer and location manager on last summer (director and the other 2 crew members went completely radio-silent in the production’s WhatsApp group chat last September) was shot at the end of last month and nobody working on the production told me about it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My tax return is more than I have in the bank but I have to spend almost all of it on not-fun house repairs.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I still need to do my taxes -_-

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

mystes posted:

I still need to do my taxes -_-

Goddamn same.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I had to pay $2 this year, this makes my day lovely because I paid more than every billionaire combined.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ugh, taxes.

I guess I should be mildly excited about them, since I know I'm getting a good chunk back because of a federal rebate from buying a heat pump last year. But it's still a slog to do, especially since I KNOW I probably shouldn't even BOTHER to try and itemize since the standard deduction is so high now, but I'll still type all my mortgage and tax poo poo in that software to compare.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's just been one of those weeks where every day is a new stressor. First I come down with a mild cold so that just makes it annoying, then yesterday I get a text from my landlady that she want to come look around, don't know why but that just means that I'll have to spend most of my free time cleaning the apartment, THEN today I had a review on my calls at work, mostly positive but again it is a stressor, and tomorrow I have my final annual review with my manager. Then friday afternoon through Saturday it'll have to be a cleaning blitz to get the apartment presentable but at least I set the time for 3pm on Sunday so I have plenty of time, it's just been one thing after another.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

BioEnchanted posted:

It's just been one of those weeks where every day is a new stressor. First I come down with a mild cold so that just makes it annoying, then yesterday I get a text from my landlady that she want to come look around, don't know why but that just means that I'll have to spend most of my free time cleaning the apartment, THEN today I had a review on my calls at work, mostly positive but again it is a stressor, and tomorrow I have my final annual review with my manager. Then friday afternoon through Saturday it'll have to be a cleaning blitz to get the apartment presentable but at least I set the time for 3pm on Sunday so I have plenty of time, it's just been one thing after another.

As long as the apartment is not being damaged by your level of cleanliness, just leave it. You are not running a hotel. You are not 12 and having your mom on your case. If she wants to tsk you for leaving a mess out, that is her problem. You are a loving adult and if you want to leave your dishes on the counter and some dust on the book shelves, that is your god given right.

mystes
May 31, 2006

She didn't say why she wants to look around? That's pretty weird.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

mystes posted:

She didn't say why she wants to look around? That's pretty weird.

She just said she wanted to check the flat, but I haven't got the energy to press any further.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DrBouvenstein posted:

My cousin is probably going to pass away soon.

He was rushed to the hospital the day before Easter, and he is in end stage liver failure. I knew he was a bit of a drinker from late teens to early thirties, but I guess no one knew how hard a toll it took on him. He has been better the past few years (not sober, but just what I would say a regular 30-something year-old guy drinks) but the damage has been done.

It's so severe, he's not eligible for a partial transplant, so he has to wait for a full liver. He's at least in a moderately sized metro area, so..uhh...the "donor pool" is bigger, but it's still not very likely.

He's only 40, same age as me, we grew up together, graduated HS together, etc...

I'm one of 21 cousins, aged 33-51, and obviously no one lives forever, but none of us would expect the first of us to go would be so soon.

It's been about a year, my cousin even got a liver transplant last summer and was in and out of the hospital and rehab things were looking up for a while,

But he got COVID-induced pneumonia, and because of the immune suppressants he had to be on from the transplant and overall health still not being where it was, he passed away this morning.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bioenchanted I may have put the idea in your landlords head that you were dealing drugs

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's been about a year

gently caress, almost to the day. So sorry for your loss. I'm also one of 20-something cousins, and I can't imagine losing one.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's been about a year, my cousin even got a liver transplant last summer and was in and out of the hospital and rehab things were looking up for a while,

But he got COVID-induced pneumonia, and because of the immune suppressants he had to be on from the transplant and overall health still not being where it was, he passed away this morning.

:glomp: So sorry for the loss, hits harder when it's someone young. I'm 43 & lost my dad to cancer in February, there's good/bad days but I try to focus on the positives of when he was still here. Hope you & your family are doing alright, loss is never easy but I'm grateful he was such a huge part of my life & glad he isn't in pain any more. I'm sure your cousin was just as grateful to have you around, even if it was a short ride.

I know it might bring out some ugly tears but I saw this poem & immediately broke down for a few minutes. Whether it's family or friends, let them know you love them any chance you get. Life is precious & temporary, try to make the most of it.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

No one in the manufacturing industry wants to hire me despite my 13 years in said industry

"No one wants to work!" lmao

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Detheros posted:

No one in the manufacturing industry wants to hire me despite my 13 years in said industry

"No one wants to work!" lmao

The whole statement is "No one wants to work for the less than poverty wages I want to offer" but they leave the end off for some reason. Probably to save ink and keep paying people extra because they saved money there.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
My doctor just prescribed an oxygen machine for me, but only at night. It arrives Monday.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
This is my sixteenth straight work day.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Oops, a disc in my back slipped, and now I wanna die, lmao

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

My doctor just prescribed an oxygen machine for me, but only at night. It arrives Monday.

Your doctor only prescribes stuff at night?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Dad died last night. Yeah, pretty lovely.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

eating only apples posted:

Sorry, goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

eating only apples posted:

Goondolences