Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I remember hearing somewhere that places like NYC, Detroit, and new Orleans exist because they're near the hudson or the Mississippi, which are good for commerce or something. I don't actually understand this at all, though.

Like, what makes Detroit's location worthwhile? Why would you want a city there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
well its a city so there is a lot of stuff goin on there

americong
May 29, 2013

probably until people stop needing to eat or build stuff, OP

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
upgrade that land with a trading post once u research guilds

if u wait for ten turns it will upgrade 2 a town and youll get an extra GPT

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

oliveoil posted:

I remember hearing somewhere that places like NYC, Detroit, and new Orleans exist because they're near the hudson or the Mississippi, which are good for commerce or something. I don't actually understand this at all, though.

Like, what makes Detroit's location worthwhile? Why would you want a city there?

Floating things around on giant boats is a great way to move things, but they do tend to need large amounts of water to move. In places without that water, the boats and their related commerce don't exist.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

oliveoil posted:

So you need cities in general, so that humans have a place to trade goods. Before the advent of fossil fuel powered transportation, being near a seafaring body of water made it easy to transport exotic goods in and out of an area, so it was natural for cities to develop near one.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Moving things by horse and cart is loving slow and energy intensive. Boat transport is almost trivial by comparison. Moving things is kind of required for any civilization to sustain itself on either the low scale (cities) or large scale (nations).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If you cut down a bunch of trees and drag them to a port you can sell them to anyone in the world with a boat. If you cut down a bunch of trees in bumfuck idaho, you can sell them to your neighbors, who don't have anything to buy them with except more trees.

Navigable waterways: the only viable option for moving bulk goods from the dawn of human civilization to 1825

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 22, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That said, no, they won't always be valuable.

See also all the railroad towns that no longer exist because the means of transport that made them useful ceased to be a major player. Trade route towns are valuable and necessary only until a better form of transportation takes over, or the resources they were built to assist in exploiting cease to be valuable (or present).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm struggling to think of a time when water freight won't be needed. Maybe when we get cheap teleporters.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I don't think land in Detroit is very valuable right now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's also a matter of momentum; the first places settled would have been places near major rivers/bays/whatever, causing other people to settle there (due to more people/businesses/etc) and causing a feedback loop.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

I don't think land in Detroit is very valuable right now.

Speaking of, if I bought plots of land in Detroit, would I have to tear down the crackhouse/squat that was there to avoid liability concerns?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Solice Kirsk posted:

Speaking of, if I bought plots of land in Detroit, would I have to tear down the crackhouse/squat that was there to avoid liability concerns?

Pay a local to burn it so you get insurance money. Or just wait for someone to burn it anyways.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

Pay a local to burn it so you get insurance money. Or just wait for someone to burn it anyways.

I'm assuming I'd still have to clean up the burned lot though. I see stuff for sale for like 10k, but if it's gonna be another 20k to tear poo poo down and then another 15 years holding it, I dint think it's worth it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You not only have to hold it, and possibly clear it, you have to do something with it. Detroit realized that the rest of the world wanted to come buy a $100k house for $1k and hold it for 10 years and do nothing with it... if everybody does that, the city will never improve. So there are laws now about buying a slum and letting it rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

photomikey posted:

You not only have to hold it, and possibly clear it, you have to do something with it. Detroit realized that the rest of the world wanted to come buy a $100k house for $1k and hold it for 10 years and do nothing with it... if everybody does that, the city will never improve. So there are laws now about buying a slum and letting it rot.

Could I build a gazebo on it and call it a day?

• Locked thread