Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Has anyone been a wedding/event videographer in a professional capacity before?

I'm a lapsed digital filmmaker who just turned 35. Produced a couple sketch comedy public access shows, did a stint in casting (got one major credit), then produced a series of industrial videos and animations for a ground handling company. Then I tried to make a documentary in a third world country and it blew up in my face. Lost my mind, moved to the mountains for a summer, stayed six years, learned to cook and got married. Just moved back to the real world. :comeback:

I was thinking about interning in my spare time for a couple wedding videographers, build a reel, see how I like it, and if I do buy a modest set of gear and plan a small buisness while working. We don't know where we are going to move after my wife gets out of college, and I figure this could be a semi-portable business. I'm personable, with good communication skills. Business skills need work, if I get that far I plan on taking some classes.

Any stories, advice, insights, or dire warnings are welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=247

There's a thread specifically about being a pro

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Don't use a contract that some other guy on the internet uses because it's "good enough." I see that mistake time and time again when I review videographer contracts. Pay a lawyer to think about the things that could go wrong and how to deal with them via contract.

This is, of course, assuming you want to be paid to begin with.

Also, LLC, probably.

That's all I got.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

BBQ Dave posted:

I was thinking about interning in my spare time for a couple wedding videographers, build a reel, see how I like it,
Generally these guys pay basically poverty wages for you to be B or C cam for 12 hour days, and they want you to own your own gear and sign over all rights. I'd do this as little as possible before striking out on your own. In fact, I'd consider putting an ad on craigslist that you were looking to shoot a wedding/engagement for free or for almost nothing. Do this a couple of times, build a reel, then start going to bridal shows and advertising with what you've built.

It's possible to start with one camera, one tripod, and a few key pieces of gear and build from there. Do that, rather than investing in $10k worth of stuff. Upgrade as your business takes off.

• Locked thread