Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I figure it would be cool to have a thread for activism/working with/for the DNC, GOP, Green party whatever. Just please don't argue about policies or which candidate is whatever, there's a bunch of other threads for that.

What are your best canvassing/phone banking/rally stories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Me: Are you registered to vote?
Guy: Who are you voting for?
Me: Hillary Clinton.
Guy: gently caress YOU.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I accidentally walked into the police staging area on the day they broke up occupy DC a few years ago. like there was some police tape blocking the road but not the sidewalk so whatever I kept going. but then there was all kinds of riot gear stacked up and all the cops were around me but none of them were paying attention because they were all looking at the crowd. so I just kept walking b/c there's no substitute for confidence, until I was about ten feet away from the cordon and somehow lol the cops noticed at once that I was behind them and they all started yelling, calling me a dumbass, asking if I knew how to read, telling me to get the hell out, refusing to explain how to go around if I actually wanted to go inside the cordon. I had to do like a shuffle thing since like three of them kept trying to grab me, but they weren't trying very hard so whatever

idk it was funny ok

G.C. Furr III
Mar 30, 2016

one time I saw that people we "phone banking" for some dumbass and though lmao you loving morons

G.C. Furr III
Mar 30, 2016

phone wank 4 hillary

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
ITT a tankie gimmick calls other people morons

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i just volunteered for my oklahoma dem party. dunno if they'll be able to find anything for me to do. i was thinking maybe if they need any programming work done i could do it for free

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

G.C. Furr III posted:

phone wank 4 hillary

phone wankers

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

G.C. Furr III posted:

one time I saw that people we "phone banking" for some dumbass and though lmao you loving morons
Affecting change in your local community and government is actually good and cool.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I've been having sleep and stomach problems that kept me from canvassing this week.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Democracy Spring is good.

I volunteer at a bookstore and I join them when they demonstrate. It's a good thing to do.

edit: oh poo poo you wanted stories. One time a cop called me a cockroach and another time the police man yelled, "FUCKA NO BLOCK THE SIDEWALK" at me. Plus lots of white people getting mad at me for being there. It's not very exciting.

Greg Legg has issued a correction as of 06:38 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
When I lived I coastal NC there was a Tea Party protest, drawing coverage from several local news channels. My friends and I counter protested, I painted signs out of the trunk of my lebaron for anyone who wanted one, and my more anarchist friends handed out zines and pins they made themselves. We had a range of conversations with multiple tea partiers, ranging from bullheaded to understanding and reasonable.

I even got interviewed by a reporter ("party politics distract us from the higher source of our problems: the unequal distribution of wealth") but they never put my segment on tv :mad:

• Locked thread