Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Derak

"You're gonna need heavy -" Derak says, before taking a look at his companion's weaponry and realizing that it wouldn't be a problem for the rest of them. "Never mind, then. I'll cover the kids with the truck!" His revolver could theoretically damage the beast, if he charged it up, but it seemed likely that the others could handle it better.

Also I realized I hadn't specified but Derak has the Notice chip in at all times, only swapping it for the Repair chip as needed.

Piell fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Dietrich
"Would be a lot easier to make this guy into bug paste equally distributed across the landscape if there weren't goddamn kids here...aww, hell. El! Try to keep it in place!"

Dietrich drops out of the truck, legs already pumping as he moves to try and flank the beast, catching it in a pincer between himself and Eleanor.

"And yeah, kiddo, I think this is a pretty good time to employ violence. Giant marauding beetles don't get the benefit of the doubt unless they're...I dunno, someone's in-law or wearing a hat or something."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The Tortem Farmstead

The tremendous bug smashes up against the house, getting the whole thing to wobble and making the roof shift on the walls. The woman firing on the rooftop loses her grip on her rifle, and it skitters down, catching in a rain gutter. She, for her part, just reaches out to try an keep ahold of the roof as her husband starts to slide down after the rifle. She reaches out to him, only to miss his hand in alarm.

Then, the Mountaineer comes crashing out of the woods in a heroic entrance that sends branches and dirt flying, rocking downward at a deep degree before coming to a stop. The beetle's attention is at least drawn by the motion, but there's a hesitation before it moves, as if considering the new steel creature before it. Then, it makes that awful wailing, leaping a few feet before crashing down as it starts its charge.

Unless anybody has something really fancy to try at the last minute, we've got a fight!

Eleanor

Sure, that's fine!

Combat Notes

Other relevant notes for this scene:
  • This beetle and other NPCs in the scene are extras, so you automatically have initiative and can act in whatever order you want to post in.
  • I'm presuming our dragon and those in the Mountaineer are starting about 25" from the beetle. Lucius can be any distance, but no closer than 10" away.
  • The Mountaineer's driver can accelerate up to 10" a turn, adds +1 to Driving rolls, and ignores penalties for rough terrain. If it becomes relevant, firing from a moving vehicle is -2 on ranged attack rolls, for the record, and the Mountaineer provides light cover - if they hit the cover, you get the benefit of its M.D.C. armor as protection. You can also just poke a gun or hand out to fire and get heavy cover instead, but at -2 on ranged attack rolls.
  • Note any range penalties (-2 for medium range, -4 for long range) you may have when rolling attacks. However, the beetle is a large target and provides +2 to hit because of its size.
  • As noted earlier, the beetle is an M.D.C. creature; a called shot can be made to overcome its heavy armor at -4 to hit, though it still gets its potent normal armor value.
As usual, OOC bits should be italics, and rules questions can be brought up in the recruitment thread. Let's go!

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 10, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Eleanor Mann

pre:
POWER ARMOR
Glitter Boy Powered Armour
ARMAMENT
Boom Gun (Range 250/500/1000, Damage 4d12+6, RoF 1, Shots 98/100, AP 25, MBT, Mega Damage)

Melee: Unarmed d12+4+d6 Mega Damage, Giant Vibrosword 2d12+5 Mega-damage AP 4 

ARMOR 18
TOUGHNESS +6
STRENGTH d12+4
SIZE 3
PACE 10
TOTAL TOUGHNESS 34
Vibroblade humming, fences and crops trampled underfoot, the vast beetle turning to face her, Dietrich saying...something. Eleanor focuses everything into one mighty blow against the hide of the charging behemoth, meeting it's strength with the finest artificial muscle human ingenuity ever built and a sword built to cut open a battletank.

Close Combat: Giamt Vibroblade: 2d6o6k1 10

Probably a good hit?

Giant Vibroblade Damage (raise): 2d12o12+5+1d6o6 21 AP 4

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Max

For now, Max is satisfied that this is a situation where it would not be rude to physically annihilate the giant insect. With a flap of his wings he pounces on the back of the smaller monster, claws digging into the shell, tearing deep gouges and earning enough purchase to snake his head forward, jaws closing on the beetle's small head, attempting to end the fight in the most efficient manner: tearing the beetle's head from its shell.

First Fighting roll is a 5, which is probably not enough (If I understand the size rules right me and the fury beetle get no bonus to hit one another) so I'll spend a benny for a reroll...got a 15, which is pretty much certainly a hit with a Raise. Damage is 29 with AP 4.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Roscius

pre:
Armor 12MDC (3 rounds remain)
PPE 10
Undamaged
Watching as El and Max dive on the rampaging creature with claw and blade, it was clear this fight might still destroy the house. Roscius thought he might have a way to stymie or confuse the beast, so they could focus on saving the civilians, but he'd never tried it on anything so big. He turned back to the cab, "get us closer!" he shouted, his voice distorted through a fractal, crystalline mask. "OK, Gang," he said over the radio, "in about 6 seconds it's gonna be lights out!"

Hold action, waiting for the Mountaineer to move closer to the beetle

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Derak

"I haven't driven one of these in combat in a while, but I'm sure it'll come back to me!" Derak aims the Mountaineer towards but not directly at the Fury Beetle. While he wanted to get closer, he didn't actually want to hit it while Max was apparently trying to ride it.

I'm assuming that the Mountaineer was moving at 15", so heading towards the beetle. Also the book says the Mountaineer has an Accel of 10, rather than the 5 you said. Don't think I need a roll to just move forward but if I do it didn't go well.
Drive: 2d6o6k1 2
With the +1 bonus that's 3.

Edit: The Mountaineer was moving at 5", so accelerating to 15" and moving the same amount.

Piell fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 10, 2017

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Dietrich
As Eleanor fights the thing from the front, Dietrich tries to distract it from behind, his internal sound system suddenly blasting out a horrible insectoid medly of wasps, locusts, and hornet sounds directed squarely at the Fury Beetle. That outta rattle it!
OOC: I rolled this yesterday, but I guess my post didn't take! Not the most effective taunt in the world, it appears.
Taunting a Beetle: 1d8o8 6 1d6o6 1

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Sir Lucius Rivers

Well for the first time in a long time Lucius could finally consider himself to have gotten a break. A dragon, a glitter boy, and a mountainier armed to the death had barrelled in and decided to lend a hand. If it weren't for the fact he had just evacuated three kids out of farm being demolished by a giant pissed off bug looking thing, today would be perfect in fact. Still the odds for this.

Lucius had activated the nanoites in his bloodstream, turning his flesh into hardened steel and more importantly focusing power into his legs to rush this thing if what he did next didn't pan out whatsoever. Slinging the laser rifle from his shoulder opening fire as the Glitter Boy charged forward and the insectoid monster shifted revealing it's underside briefly.

Called shot with NG Laser Rifle= with the minus 4 that wasn't calculated for whatever reason the best result is actually 5
Damage=14 AP 2

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 10, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Eleanor

Wow, you thought the noise it made was unpleasant when somebody wasn't stabbing it. The blade goes in deep, spraying yellow-white blood across Eleanor's armor, and it's definitely hurt, but not out.

21 damage with AP 4 is enough to inflict a wound but I'll spend one of my GM bennies (taking me from 6 to 5) to have the beetle perform a Soak with a vigor roll of 10, which cancels out the Wound and the Shaken result for the beetle.

Max

Coming down with claws and teeth, the beetle doesn't have a great way to fight back against a overhead attack. Instead, it thrashes, trying to throw Max off as he digs into its carapace. But the claws and teeth mostly just manage to scratch it up and soften rather than find flesh.

You're right that the size modifier doesn't apply for you, though. Good spot! Unfortunately, you only add the first raise to damage, which means that'll be 10+4+3 = 17 for 0 overage, which will cause it to be Shaken. For the record, you only need a 4 to hit in Savage Worlds, though your roll can be penalized by things like range, cover, etc. But the target number to hit generally doesn't change.

Derek

The Mountaineer rumbles along, kicking up dirt as it closes in on the beetle's position.

No need to roll in this case, you're not doing anything fancy and the terrain isn't particularly taxing for the Mountaineer.

Dietrich

It seems a little too distracted to really pick Dietrich's attempt to get its attention, though. The pain and having a dragon on its back seem to be where all its focus goes.

It aces its Smarts roll for a total of 11, which will keep it from being Shaken. Lucky beetle.

Lucius

Meanwhile, out of nowhere, the cyber-knights rifle sears into its legs and hide, but not much more than scorch marks are left.

That'll hit, but 12 with AP 2 won't be enough to overcome its toughness and remaining armor.

Rocius

Rocius can see it loom closer and closer as the Mountaineer heads in heedlessly...

You're as close as 10" away in the rumbling Mountaineer, do you want to do something this round, or wait until the second round?

We're not moving to the second round just yet, checking to see what Rocius wants to do first, then the bug takes its action if it can still act.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I was actually only adding my first Raise to damage, dragon's claws are Str+3d6 (If you're still going by Red's original stats I believe those were made before a pdf update to make Dragon's more balanced with other templates)

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Roscius

pre:
Armor 12MDC (3 rounds remain)
PPE 6
Undamaged
"Here goes nothing," Roscius mutters to himself as he intones a simple spell to manipulate light and juices it far beyond its purpose.

Spellcasting Great Obscure: 1d12o12 4 1d6o6 2

It works, barely, and a small sliver of negative space lands harmlessly among the combatants before ballooning into a huge sphere of darkness.

There is now an area of -6 obscurement penalty 16" in diameter, not sure what that translates to in feet, centered on the fury beetle, the penalty does not affect Roscius

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Roscius

The sphere encompasses the melee battle, much of the house, and... well, the truck is about to plunge into it at the moment.

Lucius

... is just outside of the sudden field of darkness, for the record.

Max

Max finally gets the soft spot at the top of the head to dig in with teeth or claws. In the darkness, there's a horrible roaring sound that dies out suddenly, loud enough that grass shifts in a wave out from the field of darkness.

You're right, I was working off an older version. That'll be enough damage to finish off the beetle, in any case!

The Conclusion

There's a lot of confusion in the conclusion, as the beetle's fate is not entirely clear. You can hear shouts of panic from the roof, and the sound of something crashing, but most can't tell exactly what's going on. That is, except for...

Roscius, Again

With the darkness being what it is, you can see the man slide down the roof and his leg catches on the rain gutter, but it starts to bend towards breaking. If it snaps, he's probably going over the edge of a two-story fall.

We're out of combat proper, but what are people doing in this moment of potential puzzlement?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Max

Max initially blinks at the sudden pitch blackness that surrounds him. Some kind of defensive ability of the large insect? As a precaution he squeezes his jaw tighter and feels exoskeleton give way with no resistance. Unlikely then. Probably one of the humans attempting to blind the thing with magic. Max made a mental note to discuss this further at a later time. Magic was an aspect of the Dragonforce which help great fascination for him but he had not yet managed to manifest in any practical form. Perhaps the human could provide some insight.

Either way, right now he was caught in the darkness and his ears were still ringing from the beetle. One of the humans (another mental note...learn the human's names better) in a large mechanical suit was nearby, probably in the darkness as well. Grace was not one of Max's gifts and if he stumbled around in darkness he might damage her suit and that would likely displease her. But if he assumed a human form then her large suit might very well damage him by accident.

That left one good option: upwards. His powerful leg muscles pushed him upwards and he flapped his wings, lifting him into the air and out of the black cloud. The scene when he emerged was chaotic and he was still confused as to the exact situation. He could see one of the stranger humans was in what appeared to be a precarious position, but Max was still uncertain whether the time for violence had ended or not and who it would be best directed towards. He decides to wait, gaining elevation and trying to stay out of the way as the humans sort out their business.

Max is big, pointy and has a d4 in agility, probably not a great recipe for trying to swoop in and rescue someone. Just going to try and stay out of the way.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Derak

Derak swears and jams on the brakes as the darkness suddenly appears in front of him. "Hell! Maybe next time tell me what you're planning before you summon the darkness!" he shouts over the squeal of the brakes.

Stopping the Mountaineer. Since I can decrease speed by up to twice the acceleration (ie 20") and we were only moving at 15", we stop on a dime.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Eleanor Mann

Eleanor blinks as it goes dark, then her cybernetics package and Ironside's optic systems combine to give her a thermographic/nightvision overlay that counters the effect. She sees the beetle down and missing it's head (good) Max flying up and out of her way (also good) and the old man sliding off the roof (not so great). A couple of long strides gets her close enough to try and arrest his fall -

Catching the farmer (Agility): 1d8o8+1d6o6k1 6

I'm assuming that the effect is just darkness, not magical blinding? If thermal/nightvision shouldn't see through let me know and I'll edit.

And she gets there, grabbing the back of his tough jacket and lowering him to the ground unscathed.

"Is everyone alright? Team, check in. Sir, is your family accounted for?"

El deactivates and sheathes her humming vibroblade, it having already self-cleaned.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sorry for the wait, I got a little too caught up in finishing up for the RPG design contest, but all my major writing projects are off my plate now, at least.

Eleanor

It's definitely not clear sight, but things like heat are still relevant to your sensors. As he falls, you're able to catch him - not gently. It's fair to say he just falls less with a "Umph!". Which, thankfully, is enough.

A wince, he slides off. To the GB's sight, he mostly just looks like a glowing blob of temperature at the moment, and he says, "I can't- I've gone blind- magic? I-"

He walks straight into the porch, knocking his leg. "Ow!", he calls out. "poo poo- poo poo- I mean- poo poo!"

Roscius

I presume you're not going to maintain the obscurement? If not, it'll fade fairly quickly.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Dietrich
"I'm fine El, but I've lost eyeballs on you; everyone ok in there?"

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Roscius

"I literally just said-!" Roscius shouts back at Derak before he sees the man stumbling on the roof. "Ah crap," he mutters and quickly tugs at ephemeral strings of dark light. With a soft cracking sound the darkness vanishes and Roscius points frantically at the civilians, "someone catch that guy!" As the man falls into (onto?) El's arms Roscius breathes a heavy sigh of relief.

sorry work has been insane the past several days

Not Keyser Soze fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 22, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Tortem Farmstead

The man's pain is at least lost in distraction at the state of his house. "Ooof. This... well... least..." His voice fades for a moment before his thought finishes. "... we have some time before winter to get this place straight again. Dammit, I just finished the barn after that-" He stops himself, and then finally acknowledges the glitter boy. And the dragon. And the dead fury beetle. "Um. You can have the beetle if you want it.", he starts lamely before fixating on the dragon. "Afraid we don't have gold, or... we have a goat if... you're hungry... ah..." The woman can be seen above, retrieving the rifle from the ceramic rain gutter. "Just ask them what they want, Millart!"

Millart is a strong-looking but balding older man, his skin well-tanned and what looks like a navy blue jumpsuit with "Iron Heart" on one the pockets. "R-right. Thanks for the help. What can I do you for...?", he asks up towards the glitter boy before looking over at the truck, clearly more than a little rattled.

The woman, overweight with greying brown hair and work clothes under her smock manages to find her footing where she is on the roof with a rifle. It's not a threat, given what she's got below her, but caution, at least, and she waves over towards the cyber-knight. "Hey, you can-" She pauses, apparently rethinking the idea of bringing the kids over just yet. "Wait, no, you come over here by yourself for now."

The lower floors of the house are clearly banged up, but there are fields of wheat, potatoes... pumpkin patches. There's a fence around a lot of it, sometimes tied off with look like wards. Probably against faeries and their ilk. There's a granary and a barn... barn doors are open. Broken inward, actually, by the looks of things. Large trample patches where the thing clearly ran around. Lovely sunny day right now except for the shadows of clouds, otherwise.

Well, what do you ask about? Do you ask for anything? Or do you have something else to do? What now, Outfit?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Max

With a few flaps of his wings Max descends, aiming for an area already wrecked by the beetle to avoid upsetting the human's dwellings. As he touches down his body bursts into smoke and flames, coalescing into his young human form and approaching the rest. Pausing by the fury beetle corpse he pauses to investigate the monster more closely for a moment or two.

"I hope I did not cause any problems there." Max looks over the human's dwelling with curiosity, "I am still a little uncertain on the etiquette involved in killing other creatures."

Max has nothing in particular to accomplish here. He'll be happy to help moving the fury beetle corpse out of the way though.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Eleanor Mann

El surveys the carnage and checks the coast is clear before opening her helmet to talk to Millart.

"Oh, we were just passing by and Max here noticed you were in trouble, so we responded. No need to pay for that. Call it your lucky day, I guess."

She looks around at the mess and shrugs armored shoulders.

"Sort of. Anyway, I'm Eleanor, this is Dietrich, and I already introduced Max. Together with the others in the truck we're the Outfit. We're working for the government in Utopia. Would you mind answering a few questions before we move on?"

That insignia seems out of place on a farm...it's not Coalition (no skulls) and Eleanor wonders if she's seen it anywhere else:

Common Knowledge: 2d6o6k1+4 9

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Max

"You did alright.", replies Millart up to the dragon. "Can't say I've got a problem with what you did. Usually okay to save huma- well. Help out those who don't make a business of hurting others, anyway."

Eleanor

Rubbing his head, he says, "Well, I don't know what I can do for you, but ask away."

Looks like the logo for Iron Heart Armaments, a independent and defunct armor and aircraft company that developed armaments for that Coalition state. However, when there were rumors they were considering a large-scale sale to Tolkeen, the story goes that Chi-Town's forces came down on them, serving as a prelude to the Minnesota offensive.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Derak[/b]

"Well, ma'am, we're looking into reports about raiders, supposed to be coming from a fadetown over in this direction. Any information about that'd be might helpful."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Eleanor Mann

"Yeah, anything about that fadetown would be great. The raiders are using some unorthodox fliers for mobility, kind of like tech-wizard glider but all mechanical. Loud as hell, you'd know if they'd passed nearby. Any information you can give us would be really helpful."

El considers the significance of the jumpsuit and logo, hesitating before adding:

"And if you have any technical expertise from a...previous career, or something, we have some footage you could look at. Pretty sure the raiders aren't from around here, but that's about all we have."

As Lucius comes over she waves on arm of the Glitter Boy at him.

"Hey, nice to meet you! I'm Eleanor, my crew is the Outfit. We're recruiting if you're not on a contract, and you seem capable. Want to come hunt raiders with us?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Derak

"Raiders? Well, last year they came trying to raid us in the night, nothing like we saw here... wife managed to plug one, but they were wearing armor. They couldn't talk, but they looked real lean. I tried to approach them while she was covering me, warn them off, but they didn't speak a lick of American. Ended up giving them a gift basket of sorts, figured that was better and cheaper than getting the house lit up with laz fire. Didn't see them again after that."

Eleanor

"As for your flyers, I saw them flying over a few times, from here to there, but one day they didn't seem to come back. Figured they'd moved on.", Millart adds, rubbing his neck. "I didn't get a real close look, but I can take a look at what you've got."

After showing him the footage, he looks thoughtful. "It's not any of the major manufacturers, I can tell you that. Looks like it's built on top of two jet engines, kind you don't see anymore. Hungry engines, you don't see them much on account of that, most everybody uses hover technology. But they let you fly higher and faster than anything as long as you aren't making fast turns, and drop bombs from a mile up. Only people you usually see with 'em are deadboys, since Chi-Town tends to respond real harsh to anybody cranking them out. Last folks I know of that do work at Golden Age, and those are custom rebuilds of Old World tech. Northern Gun doesn't touch it, on account of selling out to the skulls. I think Naruni- well, this sure as hell isn't their work." He spits off to the side before squinting at the footage, "You'd have to be crazy to fly something like that. Not sure how they even stay balanced."

Sitting down on the porch. "If these are the same raiders, they've got something from back home on the other side of the fade, maybe. Haven't even given a second look to us, so the raiders are hitting somebody else this season or they aren't starving. I also got word of a Coalition patrol a week ago up to the northwest, one of the fur traders up a little ways apparently spotted some dog boys out hunting from a hilltop. Probably a hunter squad going after Feds, figured they were looking for folks from Tolkeen or Fed. Let him stay with me overnight, just in case, heard from him on the radio last night, so thinking he's okay." A slight pause. "I don't expect Coalition out this far would want to make noise gunning down every D-Bee they spot, but you never know."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kicking this forward as suggested.

The Tortem Farmstead

The Cyber-Knight excuses himself and continues on his way to wander the Earth righting wrongs, like you do.

Aside from a gift basket packed for you and some more thanks - and one of the children discovering the beetle eggs laid in in the barn - your business seems done here. Millart is left to contemplate the requirements of adding beetle livestock to the to the farm, and the kids wave goodbye. Seems things turned out alright.

So far, you've got a general direction the raiders came from to the north west, rumors of a Coalition patrol in the area with a trapper up north that might know more, and a pack of darkhounds to the northeast that might know more about what's going on in their territory. You've also a missing shipment of goods and a rough location of where it was on the road when it was hit. You're back in the Mountaineer and ready to hit the road again -
the question is, where do you go next?

As it says above! Feel free to discuss your next plan, what your character might be doing instead, etc.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Dietrich

"So, want to try and find the trapper or the darkhounds? Unless we just want to head northwest and hope for the best, which strikes me as a bit half-cocked at this point."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Eleanor Mann

"Trapper's probably our best bet. If they've got a radio we can at least try to contact them."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Derak

"Yep, I reckon the trappers our best bet for the moment. Like as not he'll be easier to deal with than the hellhounds, anyhow."

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Roscius

"Ok, but, it sounded to me like that's the direction the Coalition where the coalition was spotted. Do we have a contingency plan in mind if we run into a patrol? By which I guess I mean, how fast can we gun this baby in the other direction?" Roscius said and as he pounded the floor od the mountaineer for emphasis.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Eleanor Mann

El looks grim at the suggestion of running from Coalition forces.

"We run into any skulls, they're going to be going home in body-bags."

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Max

Max, currently in human form inside the Mountaineer to take part in the discussion, looks up in confusion.

The next several minutes are spent explaining the history of the Coalition, their preferred symbolic regalia, attitude towards non-humans and magic-users and a bit of background on the storage and transportation of corpses.

Once that was out of the way he picks up the previous discussion as though there had never been any interruption, "Given my lack of experience I would certainly defer to your opinions. It does seem like avoiding thaumavores would likely be a good idea given our group's higher than average psychic potential energy."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Trapper's Cottage

... isn't near the road, as you understand it. It takes a bit of a trip, and the easiest way is to head down a stream in the Mountaineer, and then make a short walk. Or wing, as you like. And it's pretty obvious from a short distance, at least given the smoke coming nearby and smell. The smell is akin to something acrid mixed with the smell of offal and rot. Those familiar with the rougher industries of this age might be familiar with a tannery's smell, but it never becomes more pleasant. It also might explain why somebody lives out in the middle of the woods despite the myriad threats the wilderness presents. The cottage itself is a conglomeration of oak logs, and it's surprisingly large, almost more the size of a church or meeting hall. Nearby are a number of pits and huts, probably used for smoking and tanning, and a number of dead creatures can be seen left hanging from high posts. A little eerie, certainly.

If you have something special you want to do in terms of approach or get done on the way, now would be the time to mention it!

Derak

As you approach, you quickly realize you're being followed by something humanoid, probably large. It doesn't make a sound, and the eye can't see it, and the tanning smell certainly masks it. But you can see where it's leaving a subtle trail in stirred earth or leaves where it walks on two feet, or sometimes four, it seems. It doesn't seem to be coming in for an ambush, just shadowing you as you approach the cottage. Almost certainly some kind of magic obfuscation, the way the others haven't noticed. Judging by the skill of your shadow, it seems unlikely many would ever notice... but that's why you're the best guide the group could have noticed.

I did some behind-the-screen Notice rolls and Derak made it with a bullet. Do you tell the others? If so, how? Or do you have another reaction to this?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Derak

Derak sidles up alongside Roscius as they are walking. "Don't look now, but we're being followed by something invisible. Could be a darkhound, not sure if it's hostile," he whispers to the mage. "Anything you can do to reveal it?"

Knowledge Arcana: 1d8o8 4 1d6o6 1 to see if I know if I know if darkhounds can use magic to become invisible.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Roscius

Roscius gives Derak an exasperated look, whispering "well if you say that of course I'm going to look! Let me try something." He blinks once, hard, relaxing a mental muscle before turning back to the group as they walk,

"You know, yellow poplar trees like these often share a single root system," he says, loudly, "many of the trees in this forest could all be a single organism!" He makes sweeping and likely foolish-looking hand gestures as he stares intently at the area around them.

Spellcasting Detect Arcana (free action): 1d12o12 10 1d6o6 1

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Derak

Darkhounds? Turning invisible? It doesn't seem likely. Then again, if they were arcane experiments, side effects like that are possible... but not likely. Or, at least, no more likely than getting the ability to breathe fire or walk between worlds.

Magical experimentation can be annoying in that way. But it's, once again, rather unlikely.

Roscius

You definitely detect magic, but where...? Normally you'd get something invisible popping right in... but- wait, no, there it is, something moving on four, no- two legs? Four arms, two legs, tail, about ten feet-

The Trapper's Cottage

Slowly, a humanoid creature peels into the visible spectrum of light out of nowhere, its four hands in the air. With its heavy black exoskeleton, oversized third eye, long claws and a mouth that puts sharks to shame, barbed joins, tail with sharp stinger attached, and the fact it's easily twice the height of a human, it might seem intimidating... it if wasn't for the undersized flannel shirt seemingly patched together from multiple plaid platterns and the denim bucket hat. And having a dragon or power armor with you doesn't hurt for your morale. "Apologies, travelers. Plenty of strangers wandering about, had to get a look on you with my third eye.", he says with a crisp but exaggerated foreign accent, with enunciated vowels and hard consonants. He leans towards the direction of the hut, heading closer to it. "Don't have terribly much if you're looking for supplies, but we do have some dried meats and fruits in the smokehouse. Credits will do, but barter is appreciated if you have it." He turns back, that third eye jerking about momentarily, as if taking a moment to catch up to his pair of... normal?... eyes. "A bit removed from your monetary transactional network."

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Dietrich

As the trapper appears, Dietrich tilts his head to the side. "Huh! Didn't know you were such a tall fella.. We're in the area for hard business, I'm afraid. Looking for a batch of raiders flying around on...jet...board...things, real hard to miss, and also trying to keep our eyes and ears open for a Coalition patrol in the area. Any chance you caught sight of either/or?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dietrich

The tall, lanky D-Bee squints his two main eyes at you, while the third remains wide. "Well. Saw some of them, but not well. Mostly heard them going out a few days back, and they haven't come back. As for the 'Coalition'..." He looks away, as if looking Northward. "About a seven, most looked like... wolves? Wolfen? Odd wolves on two legs. And they had a leader in black, had a helmet that looks like a skull with horns- wait, no. Spikes. Looked like they were using some kind of seeing technology to look around, but it didn't notice me. But the wolves caught my scent, so I didn't stay. Had a look the next day, and there were signs of a fight. Seemed they had it out with lasers and missiles. I presumed they found what they were looking for and would either be headed home or headed to the grave." A slight pause. "Wheel tracks and hoofprints as well. Horses, probably. Maybe somebody was looking for them? I can't be certain." He looks back down. "Probably trouble, but I suppose you don't need me to point that out."

• Locked thread