Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourites?
Excellent Choices, OP
Your list is bullshit, here's why:
WTF is philosophy?
View Results

• Locked thread
Commie NedFlanders

Das Kapital the Manga

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i find studying the I Ching to be relaxing chill and spooky all at once
it may the best philosophy book for halloween yob

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Das Kapital the Manga

H.H

August is the Cruelest Month

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

I've hosed around with the I Ching but I found that to properly understand the philosophy behind it you have to have a good grasp of Chinese philosophy, which I sadly don't.

Do you think it can stand on its own as a philosophy book, rather than just a divination manual?

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

H.H posted:

I've hosed around with the I Ching but I found that to properly understand the philosophy behind it you have to have a good grasp of Chinese philosophy, which I sadly don't.

Do you think it can stand on its own as a philosophy book, rather than just a divination manual?

some beginner recommendations afa chinese philosophy goes:

- Xunzi
- Mencius
- Confucius (duh)
- Mozi
- Laozi
- Zhuangzi

that's all I've got for now but those are def some must-reads

Commie NedFlanders

Gatekeeper posted:

can you make a "best intro book" category? i never took philosophy in college and i've only seen those "perverts guide" zizek flicks so i don't know jackie fucken chan about philosophy :(

Plato is a good intro into western philosophy

his allegory of the cave is a great start to think about things

Euthyphro is a good introduction into Socratic style arguments

Meno is an excellent examination and introduction into the topic of Epistemology

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Commie NedFlanders

also, if you are brand new in studying philosophy, jumping into reading philosophic works can be very daunting and trying to discuss philosophy with people who use tons of esoteric jargon can be intimidating and discouraging

i took a lot of great philosophy courses in college, i consider myself moderately educated on the basics

i highly recommend the youtube channel 8-bit philosophy , it's very short, sweet, and accessible to people approaching these things for the first time. it's also done in a fun style that i personally like (old 8-bit video games)

A good podcast to listen to is The Partially Examined Life which is done by philosophy students who aim to make philosophic works accessible to non-philosophy students and is done in a rather casual conversational style, which is still rigorous enough to give you a good foundation

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Fredflonston

Anathem by Neal Stephenson. Isnt't overtly a study in philosophy but drat this book.

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
also

http://www.wi-phi.com/

has some tremendously helpful videos from grad students/professors

Commie NedFlanders

Merlot Brougham posted:

The Society of the Spectacle.

i just wanna re-quote this again because this might be the most relevant work for our collective contemporary situation

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

H.H posted:

i dont think its been just a divination manual for millenia; all the notes and wings and all really cover a lot of ground in few words
i find it relaxing and insightful to gain a new perspective on the present , i dont think enough about the future to be much interested in divination

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Das Kapital the Manga

I have not doubt that, somewhere out there in this wide world, there is a manga about Deleuze and Guattari trying to write Anti-Oedipus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia, except they're both bishie guys who can't get along and lacan is their sexy older mentor who has magic glasses or something.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

H.H

August is the Cruelest Month

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i dont think its been just a divination manual for millenia; all the notes and wings and all really cover a lot of ground in few words
i find it relaxing and insightful to gain a new perspective on the present , i dont think enough about the future to be much interested in divination

I agree that in it's present form it's much more than just a divination tool, I was just saying that without the proper background the philosophical layers of it are hard to understand.

Commie NedFlanders

mysterious frankie posted:

I have not doubt that, somewhere out there in this wide world, there is a manga about Deleuze and Guattari trying to write Anti-Oedipus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia, except they're both bishie guys who can't get along and lacan is their sexy older mentor who has magic glasses or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xbyJGM1iUY

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

byob historian

H.H posted:

I agree that in it's present form it's much more than just a divination tool, I was just saying that without the proper background the philosophical layers of it are hard to understand.

yeah i forget which hexagram says its not a young mans book
ive studied laozi and a lot of buddhist philosophy, some chan, and focused on soto zen
ive really found studying communism to help as well; trotskys abc of materialistic dialectic covers a lot of ground on the philosophical basis

ultimately though despite being between 4 covers (1st ed wilhelm / baynes :swoon:) i really relate to the i ching more as a friend or a teacher than as a book. i find having w conversaton to be a more effective mental model of approach

eta yeah its often hard to understand but practice and meditation help ime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer

Lovely night, no?

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

I own that and also the Tao Te Ching, and I vastly prefer the latter. My go-to for divination are tarot cards.

I prefer my philosophies to be heavily open to interpretation according to personal experience.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

• Locked thread