Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Kaedric posted:

This event brings to light a serious problem that we have in America: the word 'shooting' or 'shot' is ambiguous and makes me mad every time I see it.

'Black guy shot by police'. Ok... did.. did he die? Yes? oh

'School shooting'. Did anyone die? Stop making me ask this question and give us a more descriptive word like gunmurdered for when people use firearms to actually kill a person.

The headline isn't supposed to inform so much as trick you into reading their awful story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My band opened up for Shake Ray Turbine in 1998 and they opened for Fugazi in 2000 at Hendrix College so i've basically played with minor threat

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Kaedric posted:

This event brings to light a serious problem that we have in America: the word 'shooting' or 'shot' is ambiguous and makes me mad every time I see it.

'School shooting'. Did anyone die? Stop making me ask this question and give us a more descriptive word like gunmurdered for when people use firearms to actually kill a person.

The 1996 documentary Demolition Man introduced the term "murder-death-kill" for this reason.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ork of Fiction posted:

Was pops the kind of dude to leave guns lying around, or did the kid go through extraordinary measures to get his hand on the weapon?

Yes, the guns were freely available in the home and weren't being locked up as far as I'm aware. The main issue is that the kid had previously been sent to a detention center by threatening gun violence in schools not 8 months ago. Nothing had been done to remove the guns from the house and the parents refused to get the kid counseling.

wynter necr0
Sep 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DeusExMachinima posted:

The 1996 documentary Demolition Man introduced the term "murder-death-kill" for this reason.

This is a fact I want to hear in a school shooting news report that features injured children

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Yes, the guns were freely available in the home and weren't being locked up as far as I'm aware. The main issue is that the kid had previously been sent to a detention center by threatening gun violence in schools not 8 months ago. Nothing had been done to remove the guns from the house and the parents refused to get the kid counseling.

Sounds like the whole family should be wiped from the gene pool

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Vargatron posted:

OK so it makes sense why the kid killed the dad. Why did he shoot the other people.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

misty mountaintop posted:

OK so it makes sense why the kid killed the dad. Why did he shoot the other people.

He had bullets left over

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Vargatron posted:

father and mother should be found criminally negligent then imo

the state shouldn't remove their guns but they should have said lock that poo poo up

e: oh the dad died, gently caress a duck i want justice got dangit

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm sick of this poo poo.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
even if we had a proper word for shooting and killing someone people more would still misuse it

electrocution is only supposed to mean someone was killed, but living people still say poo poo like "I got electrocuted trying to re-wire my toaster today"

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Shot to death?

Anyway it sounds like the dad was retarded and I'm just glad nobody else got killed because of him. Maybe he didn't think his son would really snap, he was a good boy nobody saw this coming etc etc

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Complex societal pressures.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
with the plethora of experience i have in high tension live fire hostage situations, the highly regarded "Counter Strike' training system, i can say that arming all of the school guards with fully automatic assault rifles (specifically the ak47) would be a good choice for both long and short distance defense as the stopping power of 7.62 is much higher than any civilian-sourced ammunition

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Vargatron posted:

it is a constitutional right to bear arms. you have no right to confiscate the firearms of a law-abiding citizen and it is absolutely disgusting that you would disregard the freedoms that make this country greater than the degenerates surrounding us for some simple act of social justice. disgusting

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

TOOT BOOT posted:

He had bullets left over

Gotta admire his commitment to resource management.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Ork of Fiction posted:

Complex societal pressures.

Gotta admire his commitment to sociology.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
If guns were illegal this kid never would have had the means to free himself from the clutches of his tyrannical, abusive father.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I've decided to post my SHOCKED and OUTRAGED reaction face to this utterly unique and unheard-of event. :geno:. Ok now I'd like a grande pumpkin latte please.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Children are dying every day and it is an utter waste. We should be consuming the corpses.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Nathilus posted:

Children are dying every day and it is an utter waste. We should be consuming the corpses.

Take it to another thread, buddy. The children in this case all lived, unfortunately.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Take it to another thread, buddy. The children in this case all lived, unfortunately.

But surely some other children died. We can eat those ones.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Nathilus posted:

But surely some other children died. We can eat those ones.

Syrians are the best fed people on the planet right now. That's why the cease fire was bullshit.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
king jeremy the wicked

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Nathilus posted:

I've decided to post my SHOCKED and OUTRAGED reaction face to this utterly unique and unheard-of event. :geno:. Ok now I'd like a grande pumpkin latte please.

is it appropriate to memorialize this tragedy with a pumpkin spice overlay on my facebook av?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Vargatron posted:

Serious post guys. I grew up knowing the shooter's father and family. It's a really terrible situation, borne from mental abuse and a father who had an impossible standard for his son. There wasn't any ideological or racial component to the shooting, just a kid lashing out for help.

I'm pretty sure like 90% of non-terror related mass shootings are usually the parents fault somehow.

I'm starting to feel like people should need to take some classes or have a license to have kids or something because I don't really get how I need a license to fish but if I wanted to pop 10 kids out and go on government assistance and be a lovely parent that's my freedom.

Vargatron posted:

If I was a parent of a kid who got shot I'd sue the pants off the parents. They honestly should face criminal negligence charges.

Idk how else to fix this other than going hard at poo poo parents.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 29, 2016

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Roylicious posted:

If I was a parent of a kid who got shot I'd sue the pants off the parents. They honestly should face criminal negligence charges.

There's one parent, and he's the only person the kid managed to successfully kill.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
So, in other words, you and the kid agree.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kaedric posted:

We could go with Gun Murder Death Kill for the latter. MDK for short. It worked well for Sylvester Stalone and Sandra Bullock.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Linnear posted:

You know I thought the NRA was a bit nuts for saying the solution to gun violence is more guns. But maybe it's just realistic with the diehard second amendment culture.
Their solution to the problem they're creating is even more of the problem they're creating. Sounds like the right direction to me.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Roylicious posted:

Lol if you think having legal recourse on parents will change parent or child behavior at all. People who are negligent will remain negligent regardless of if they are potentially liable.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

So, in other words, you and the kid agree.

He stood his ground. If he hadn't gone and shot up the school he'd be a free kid still.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Well I mean if you just shoot your dad you're not going to make the local papers let alone 9 o'clock news, so props to him for trying.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

even if we had a proper word for shooting and killing someone people more would still misuse it

electrocution is only supposed to mean someone was killed, but living people still say poo poo like "I got electrocuted trying to re-wire my toaster today"

Shotocuted.
Shootacuted.
Shotracution.
Gunrocution.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Oscar Wild posted:

Lol if you think having legal recourse on parents will change parent or child behavior at all. People who are negligent will remain negligent regardless of if they are potentially liable.

That's kind of a weird attitude isn't it? Why have negligence laws at all then about anything?

There's always going to be shitters that doesn't mean screw it don't even try to improve anything.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Roylicious posted:

That's kind of a weird attitude isn't it? Why have negligence laws at all then about anything?

There's always going to be shitters that doesn't mean screw it don't even try to improve anything.

They're not for deterring negligence. They're to deter the victims of negligence people from going crazy and becoming vigilantes.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

They're not for deterring negligence. They're to deter the victims of negligence people from going crazy and becoming vigilantes.

OK but Elliot Rodger's parents are free to pop out another kid to gently caress up just as badly?

And anyway that's not true universally. There's plenty of instances where there are fines or penalties for not doing X so after a while you learn or you lose privileges. You're not free to just be a negligent parent and not feed your kids or provide basic standards of living, why should you be free to abuse them emotionally/mentally?

If the situation is kid is making violent gun threats at school and it's an open secret his dad is abusive and leaves guns around the house I think the proper response is to have society step in not shrug and go 'well what are you gonna do' until that kid snaps and shoots up his school and then act like it was some freak unavoidable tragedy.

e: or blame guns about it

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 29, 2016

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Roylicious posted:

OK but Elliot Rodger's parents are free to pop out another kid to gently caress up just as badly?

They should have to have one child for each person he murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

They should have to have one child for each person he murdered.

The Balance! :secondpost:

• Locked thread