Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

hes dead jim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I had no idea Beyond came out already, what the gently caress. Is it any good? I liked the first reboot film but Into Darkness was amazingly, appallingly bad.

Is Beyond filled with as much blatant 9/11 truther bullshit?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I think in the companion comic they explain admiral robocop gives Kahn plastic surgery so people think he is just some dude.

This is hilarious.

"Eh, just cast a bankable white actor. I'm sure the the tie-in department can whip up some bullshit to pacify the nerds."

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
JJ Abrams Star Trek is bad and he is a hack, op.

The only good part to Into Darkness was the blonde chick stripping.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Applewhite posted:

Hey while we're on the subject, why the hell is the name of Data's creator in Star Trek: TNG Dr. Noonien Soong? Khan's full name is Khan Noonien Singh. Was Noonien Soong like, a placeholder name they just forgot to fix?

i think they retconned this in enterprise, basically after being shut down on his genetic manipulation, he turned to cybernetic life to create perfect entities.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Eh like they cared. Gone is any philosophy or character depth, they just wanted someone to run a lot, piu piu lazers and lens flare on.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

vudan posted:

Eh like they cared. Gone is any philosophy or character depth, they just wanted someone to run a lot, piu piu lazers and lens flare on.

Well, it's gone because that only sells with a subsect of nerds now, and that isn't enough to keep some studio CEO's lights on in his third home. Fact of the matter is you'll never get old style Trek back unless they let an Indie do it, and that will never happen because FRANCHISE.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

I had no idea Beyond came out already, what the gently caress. Is it any good? I liked the first reboot film but Into Darkness was amazingly, appallingly bad.

Beyond isn't great-great but if you liked the 60s TV show and wanted to see that very specific era made into a movie--something that never happened with the original crew--then you'll adore it. It's basically a big-budget episode of the 60s show, has some inoffensive and fun references to the Enterprise Era of Star Trek, and features the coolest-looking space station in film since... I can't even remember. Like Star Trek IV it's completely enjoyable piffle.

If you're a fan of Uhura's increased importance in the reboot movies, good dialogue as opposed to "good" dialogue, and repurposing of old Trek poo poo (e.g: the Romulans, Klingons, Vulcans, Q, and Borg) and plotlines... then you won't like Beyond.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Libelous Slander posted:

i think they retconned this in enterprise, basically after being shut down on his genetic manipulation, he turned to cybernetic life to create perfect entities.

Yeah I think the plot point netted out at implying that Noonien Soong who made Data was the descendent of the geneticist-turned-cyberneticist Soong who made the genetic augments like Khan.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Simon Pegg wrote it and surprise surprise like half the movie is 'Scotty Is Cool And The Smartest And Gets The New Hot Chick'

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Didn't Simon Pegg also piss off George Takei and tell him to eat poo poo with his criticisms?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

Beyond isn't great-great but if you liked the 60s TV show and wanted to see that very specific era made into a movie--something that never happened with the original crew--then you'll adore it. It's basically a big-budget episode of the 60s show, has some inoffensive and fun references to the Enterprise Era of Star Trek, and features the coolest-looking space station in film since... I can't even remember. Like Star Trek IV it's completely enjoyable piffle.

If you're a fan of Uhura's increased importance in the reboot movies, good dialogue as opposed to "good" dialogue, and repurposing of old Trek poo poo (e.g: the Romulans, Klingons, Vulcans, Q, and Borg) and plotlines... then you won't like Beyond.

Yorktown Station reminded me a lot of how the GSVs are described in the Culture novels.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Skoll posted:

Didn't Simon Pegg also piss off George Takei and tell him to eat poo poo with his criticisms?

Didn't hear Pegg's response, but yeah Takei was unimpressed by the 'homage' of making Sulu gay. Takei's critique was actually pretty nuanced and not just the "You're changing the character!"

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I seem to remember Pegg saying something like Takei was out of touch and needed to get with the times or some silly poo poo like that. I'm far too lazy to google it.

Also awesome of Simon Pegg to completely invalidate Generations, but that may or may not be a bad thing.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

They weaponized the Beastie Boys

four out of four stars

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I liked the part when Sulu had the bridge and went 0 to full badass for about 10 seconds. Then I hated every other part of the movie.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
khan the real mvp

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Applewhite posted:

Khan was cool and good and actually the most heroic figure in the film. I cried at the end when he was put back in storage.

They had to use a khan-tainer

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

RedMage129 posted:

I liked the part when Sulu had the bridge and went 0 to full badass for about 10 seconds. Then I hated every other part of the movie.

Even the part where the Vengeance overtakes the Enterprise at warp and is like "pew pew!"?

Because that part is super cool.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

Didn't hear Pegg's response, but yeah Takei was unimpressed by the 'homage' of making Sulu gay. Takei's critique was actually pretty nuanced and not just the "You're changing the character!"

Oh, man. They need to remake Risky Business, but make Tom Cruise's character homosexual that would be really good.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

interwhat posted:

Aren't the last three all supposed to be like alternate universe or some poo poo because of things?

yes, the alternate universe where the movies are all really bad rather than just 50/50

every character should have a goatee just to drive the point home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Even the part where the Vengeance overtakes the Enterprise at warp and is like "pew pew!"?

Because that part is super cool.

Hmmm... pew pew, yeah... I may have been too hasty with my words. But overall still feel bad about this movie.

• Locked thread