Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

woke wedding drone posted:

That's really my point, though. We say YOLO...ok. Does that accomplish anything? And gently caress tha Police "talked about" the problem. That's great, and it feels cathartic...but no social change has been enacted, even until now. It took going into the streets and filming police for even the possibility of change to become visible, and that was kicked off by real world events, not music.

Ok? So it's as I said before, it's one of those things that the answer will never be good enough. But the title of the thread isn't hip hop and social change, it's hip hop and social conciousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chelb posted:

I imagine he would talk about those genres, if they were the topic of the thread.

Then I imagine he has links, doesn't he. Unless there's something about this particular thread that galvanized his moral rectitude.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

If you're going to barge your racist rear end in here, run your mouth about how ignorant black people are, and then demand everyone drop everything to satisfy your arbitrary metrics you'd better loving define them first. What has hip-hop failed to do in the social sphere that any other genre of music succeeded at? Or journalism? Or art? What does Guernica do that 911's A Joke does not?

One of the many ways you display your racism is that you're commandeering a conversation about an artform you don't respect and don't know anything about yet you have appointed yourself the arbiter of its quality. Racist people make every effort of the black community jump through extra hoops for legitimacy, with that goalpost always shifting juuuuuust out of reach.

White people folk music is largely about committing crimes too, by the way. Where's your handwringing there? Plenty of rapists in the rock scene - can you link me to you making GBS threads up threads in NMD with your righteousness?

You should try to catch lightning in a bottle and demand that a bunch of people get banned, I'm tired or reading all these posts

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

If you're going to barge your racist rear end in here, run your mouth about how ignorant black people are, and then demand everyone drop everything to satisfy your arbitrary metrics you'd better loving define them first. What has hip-hop failed to do in the social sphere that any other genre of music succeeded at? Or journalism? Or art? What does Guernica do that 911's A Joke does not?

None of them done much of anything except journalism. I made this point specifically.

quote:

One of the many ways you display your racism is that you're commandeering a conversation about an artform you don't respect and don't know anything about yet you have appointed yourself the arbiter of its quality. Racist people make every effort of the black community jump through extra hoops for legitimacy, with that goalpost always shifting juuuuuust out of reach.

I do respect it--as an art form. I don't respect it as a force for social change, because there is very little evidence that it is.

quote:

White people folk music is largely about committing crimes too, by the way. Where's your handwringing there? Plenty of rapists in the rock scene - can you link me to you making GBS threads up threads in NMD with your righteousness?

I don't post in NMD. And I think you're pulling the wool over your eyes if you think that 2Pac isn't a particularly egregious example of not just glorifying violence, but issuing specific threats to specific people. What a sad joke, pretending to be gangsters in a turf war to please their labels. It ended up getting him killed.

e: removed my wrong take on the thread's progression

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 2, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Your fourth post in this thread moves the goalpost to "a meaningful force for social change" you lying rear end in a top hat.

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004
Art is a descriptive tool to critique or reinforce ideology, and as such, can become an instrument of change. "Social consciousness" is a misdemeanor term for what rap actually is, abstract poetry defining the feeling of exclusion and alienation from participating in the dominant ideology. IE; The over-participation in capitalism in g-rap is correctly interprets the value system implicit in capitalism and exposes it in its most monstrous form.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If you stop engaging trolls they disappear

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Your fourth post in this thread moves the goalpost to "a meaningful force for social change" you lying rear end in a top hat.

Oops you're right, sorry! I was the one who was sloppy.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 2, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Then your racism is even more disgusting. Grats on being the first person to use a racist slur in here, you hosed up rear end in a top hat!

So do you randomly interrupt other black people's conversations because one of them addressed the other as "nigga"? Because that's pretty much what you just did.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
edit: nm

lozzle fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 2, 2016

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

What do you think of the new poo poo, like Kendrick?

To Pimp a Butterfly is odd as a socially conscious album, in that it actually lays out what I would consider a philosophy for black republicans. It begins by complaining about taxes, and specifically the idea of giving money to help other black people, who are depicted as undeserving. At one point it offers "poo poo don't change until you get up and wash your rear end" like a black take on bootstraps ideology. Then the middle of the album features a crisis of conscience that triggers an apparent concern for the black community, the songs shift from talking about the pressures of his success and newly acquired wealth to discussing issues of black identity. How Much a Dollar Cost suggests an acceptance of the value of contributing materially. But then it ends with a conversation with tupac that suggests giving back to the community by being a positive role model and thinker is enough, and that as successful black men they deserve to keep all their money because they have earned it more legitimately than others.

I think the album addresses some important issues, but ultimately its perspective is black pride from a very right wing perspective, with the take away being something like 'be proud of being black but there are problems with our community, if those of us who are successful educate the others than they can bootstrap their way up'. If republicans ever wanted to drop the explicit racism they could probably use this album as inspiration for how to work their ideology for the black community.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

What a sad joke, pretending to be gangsters in a turf war to please their labels. It ended up getting him killed.

If nothing else I think it's impressive that you have solved 2Pac's murder.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

If nothing else I think it's impressive that you have solved 2Pac's murder.

Are you really going to say his death was not a result of the feud he participated in? I suppose the Illuminati might have gotten to him.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
That no one has mentioned the Notorious BIG during this argument is telling where everyone stands on East vs West.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I've always been very forthright in saying "death to the west" personally.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Are you really going to say his death was not a result of the feud he participated in?

Given that Biggie didn't really care about the feud It's not that likely. It's more likely to be connected with the fact that he beat up a gangmember hours before he was shot. But the fact is that no one really know what happened, except you of course.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Going literally across the country to kill someone over a music related feud seems like the epitome of stupid.

I mean, give people some credit. Talking poo poo has been a part of hip hop music since its genesis.

Lennon and McCartney ended up hating each other - was Lennon being shot actually part of a sinister plot by McCartney?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Let's be real. Considering 2Pac was a young black male living in the US, literally anybody could have shot him for any reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

4th Horseman posted:

You're cool with the homophobia of your 'ur rap song'?

I think you can like a song while not agreeing with every part of it. It does come as a bit of a shock when you're listening to it though. There's a similar thing on Gil-Scott Heron's first album, Small Talk at 125th and Lenox. It's a really good album with a lot of really powerful spoken word poems. 'The Revolution Will Not Be Televised' is the most famous and has already been posted but 'Whitey on The Moon' and 'Comment #1' are also really good.

It's full of very smart, evocative poems about the problems of racism in America and then suddenly you get to 'The Subject Was Faggots' which is just this unpleasant homophobic screed out of nowhere. I've always found it interesting how someone can be so aware of prejudice in one form and yet indulge in a different type of prejudice without seeing the dissonance.

I'd also recommend checking out 'Pieces of a Man' which was his first studio album. The titular track on it has some of the most beautiful lyrics he ever wrote imo.

• Locked thread