Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Talia Slide

Talia glares directly at Hegentha, but keeps her mouth closed. Murderers for hire! She should've expected as much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Rabbit, faceplate still smeared with bits of creme, raises their hand. "I have a question!"

"Captain Simmons is kind of a loser! I snuck onto her ship once already and it was really easy. So this is basically a milk run." They point a fork at Alcazar. "But you're rich and powerful already, with a legion mercenary crew at your command. You have powerful friends, probably. Well, not really friends, I bet they're all kind of jerks, but you know what I mean."

"If we go after Simmons, we end up on your side, the side with all the cards. But if we side with her, then we're up against a lot of powerful people who are real good at holding grudges. And are also huge jerks, generally."

Rabbit pauses. "Okay so it was more of statement than a question." They cross their arms and tilt their head back, managing to look pleased with themselves. "Anyways my point is I know which one sounds more exciting to me!" They tilt their head and look at the others, seeing what they make of that.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Alcazar

Alcazar and his head of security look at each other, then at Rabbit. There is a silence.

Anybody need anything else, or are we set to watch Gorbash foil my plans?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Ultra looks up from making a croissant and a shrimp cocktail fight each other. "Then we're agreed. Hegentha, we have a lot of shopping to do in order to create purchases which can be easily traced to our co-conspirators in the event that this sabotage goes pear-shaped."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"Noir," mutters Hegentha in Ix'ion, pocketing the card while the gazes are locked, "You may want to get your hand near your weapon. The nutty robot is about to either make us even richer or get us all killed."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Talia Slide

Talia's voice comes out thick.

"I am not an assassin or a murderer for hire. If the two monsters want to do that, it's on them."

I'm vaguely siding with Gorbash I guess??? Talia's ideal is to ditch both these Corp losers and go make her own fortune.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Rabbit lets the moment drag out for a second, then laughs, loudly. They poke a finger at Alcazar. "Had you going there for a second, right? Totally got you."

"You should have seen the look on your face! Classic."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Nanin hasn't had a bite since Alcazar made his offer clear. "I think that maybe we should take a moment to engage in... um... internal... negotiations to make sure... we're on the same page?", looking to the others.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The Post

The meeting with Alcazar concludes, once Rabbit towels off. Your enthusiastic "employer" doesn't seem to have poisoned the toast or anything, and you have a line of credit in his name. He's delighted to see you go, but he seems delighted about everything, in kind of a creepy, manic way. The Legionnaires see you out of the tower and back onto the bustling streets of the Post, where you're given the stink-eye for loitering in a high-class, high-Corp area.

Of course, murder isn't on your agenda - assassination's going to have to be postponed until next quarter. Instead, investing in a sound strategy of materials acquisition is on the table. If everything goes according to the mission statement, by this time tomorrow, Captain Simmons will have failed to diversify herself over a several kilometer radius, and you'll be the chief operating officers of your getaway.

It's business time.

One "session" has elapsed, so you all get one more Spare Time Point. Now is most assuredly a good time to spend your stash, and doing so with an eye to gearing up for stealing your ship and running away is probably a wise idea. Anyone making Wealth rolls has a +2 bonus from Alcazar's credit card, although that also means he'll get a report of what you're buying.

A brief glimpse at Alabaster 5, to help you think on your plan. It's basically a giant, fancy mall, with a bunch of impoverished workers toiling in its central sections. The station is abuzz with the news of Simmons' find, and a substantial portion of the populace is trying to get her attention for interviews, investment opportunities, or stabbing each other in the back over said opportunities. High-class ships with strong lines of credit are parked up-Hub, while the lower classes have to make do with the equivalent of a space loading dock.

Security is lighter around the workers' areas, on account of more bodies needed to keep things under control up-Hub. But then, this is a Corp station, and that's usually the case. It's also usually the case that stealing a ship from the poor is going to cost them proportionally more than the wealthy and influential.

What's your initial plan?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Rabbit seems quite pleased with themselves, after all that. They do manage to contain themselves until the group reaches somewhere private. "So! Time to make an escape, right? We'll need a ship! The nice ones will all have lots of guards, which would be exciting. But maybe there's someone in the lower docks with a nice ship they're trying to keep out of sight."

"Should we look for it? Or just pick the fastest of the nice ones and make a grab for it?"

Going to hold onto my ST point, not really seeing any gear jump out at me.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Spare Time Points: 1

"Oh, um, I thought we were going to steal Captain Simmons' ship.", Nanin says. "Aren't we? I've never... really stolen anything before. Except for rations at night, the commissary wasn't open, so sometimes if you hit the drawer for the-" She pauses. "- I mean, she stole from us a bit, didn't she?"

Likewise, going to hang on to the STP for the time being until I have a better use to put it towards.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Talia Slide

Talia is still fidgeting with her gauntlet as they walk, slapping some bits on, others off. It's impossible to tell what she's actually doing to it with how "Kaltorian" it's starting to look.

Spending that Spare Time to add Customized to my gauntlet.

Spare Time; Mechanics: 3d6+2 14

My electro-gravity gauntlet is now a horrible mess of hodge-podged electronics and wiring that probably shouldn't work, but not only works, but works even better then ever - so long as Talia is using it!

"This is Corp Space, Ears. NOBODY is going to try to hide a nice ship on the lower docks. Don'tcha know? Corps'll let the insides of their houses go bare if it means their front is decorated. Nope, the nicer and more expensive, the more prominent it's going to be. And I don't much like the idea of stealing from the poor sad sacks who are almost as bad off as we are."

There's a click as the gauntlet's power supply flickers briefly, then activates itself.

"Let's do 'exciting.' But we'll want to at least TRY to draw some of the guards away first. We don't need it to be that exciting. So we find a ship we want, scope out how many guards it has, and then...who's up for a little harmless sabotage and some nice spreading of the wealth?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"Don't go deciding on the plan on your own when the person who did all the work setting up is right here!" Hegentha idly spins the card. "We need to decide what supplies we should obtain with this, first. I was thinking some cutting gear and a space suit or two. Fake like we're going to arrange an airlock accident, then use them to break into the main hangar."

She sighs. "I don't even know why I'm letting you all coast off my hard work. You only get to ride if you can do something useful! Like navigate! Or drive!"

Imma look through the book and decide if I want to buy something later.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 31, 2016

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

For expediency's sake, let's go with the faking-an-airlock-accident plan.

Cirno, Talia has strong feelings on the matter, so tell me about the ship you want to steal. No stats, just general description.

Gorbash, what's Rabbit's specific mental complication?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Talia Slide

Talia is a Kaltoran through and through. She doesn't much care about the ship's weapons. Or it's layout. It doesn't even have to be well built.

It needs a cargo bay, and it needs to be fast.

Of course, the more easily the ship can be modified, the better.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I went with derealization disorder for Rabbit. Rabbit feels that the world around them is unreal.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Heist

Scanning the repair manifests turns up one promising candidate; it's not Corp made, it's on the outside of the docking rings, and it's got engines that could melt a hole through dreadnought armor with their exhaust. The Fast Picket 509 is in the capable hands of a mixed freelance repair crew. For now.

The Auxilia ship may not be luxurious, but it is a hardy little ship, and extremely fast. It's in the dock for a weapons refit, which may be postponed indefinitely in the hubbub of Simmons' inadvertent assault on Corporate order. Right now there're a few repair workers finishing their routine services - it doesn't look like they have a set shift rotation, so you're going to have to get rid of the folks onboard somehow.

Now, a Legion ship of any stripe is bound to have enough supplies onboard at all times to get you out of here and keep you from dying for a while. You're not going far, and you're going unarmed unless you want to wait for them to put the guns back on and for all the Legionnaires to come back and collect their stuff, and they're not likely to fold as quickly as a bunch of freelancers will. Nevertheless, this your best ticket out of here, unless you want to get your hands dirty.

Spring your plan as you like. We'll see how well you do.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"Hmmm..." Hegentha shoots a pointed look at Talia, and then continues in the tone of it's your fault we're doing this anyway, "Could you... cause a maintenance emergency somewhere in the station? One that would result in these unfortunate workers making a hasty exit for say... 10 minutes?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Hey, if its one that only affects people who breath, I could still go in there and open the doors for the rest of your or whatever," Rabbit points out helpfully.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Talia Slide

"Hm? Yeah, good thinking. Probably easily, given how much Corps look after their things - or rather, how much they don't. It looks nice and all, but there isn't a da-darn thing here that wasn't built from the cheapest labor they could find. In fact...yeah, yeah! If we could find where the oxygen is pumped in, we could mess with that and de-oxigenify - yes that's a word - the room. We'll have to do it without tripping emergency sealing so everyone here can get out. Then Ears here runs in and takes the ship! Otherwise, we could futz around with the gravity. It won't bother me, and then I could get in the ship to take pilot seat and get the rest of you in! If...there are no guards INSIDE the ship. Hm. Maybe we stick with the first plan? So we just gotta find a place where I can sabotage the air flow!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

You Take My Breath Away

Fortunately, and completely surprisingly, there is a maintenance junction not too far away. Getting access to the guts of the station is easy - this whole segment is designed for ready access by repair crews in the event of an emergency. Figuring out which of the shiny pipes wrapped in sleek black plastic tamper seals controls the atmosphere mix will be trickier.

Meanwhile, Rabbit sets up for their run. Security is typical of Corp setups - a bunch of automatic cameras. Sneaking past is an option. Of course, so is violently exploding the security hardware.

Talia should make a Mechanics check to successfully turn off the air. This will attract attention, so be advised.

Rabbit can make a stealth or combat roll, as they see fit.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Spare Time Points: 1

"I... I'm not very good at taking things...", Nanin say as she watches the others work, "I mean, I'm more... I glow. Maybe you should just leave me behind." She looks away, more than a little embarrassed. "I mean, this isn't right and all I'm good for is making things break." She rubs her neck. "I mean, I guess I could do a psych eval of the crew or something... or..." She looks away, wincing a little sharply as she rubs her head.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Rabbit gets ready to sneak in, first making sure all their gear is strapped down to make as little noise as possible. Then they flip a few settings on their coat, causing it to turn a bright orange. They hold their arms out and model it for a moment. "Very ninja, huh?"

They stop screwing around and properly adjust it to camouflage mode, then slip off, making their way towards the target with impressive grace. Rabbit times the approach to slip in as soon as Talia does her part.

Forgot to add my Ref into the Stealth roll on Orokos, but its a static modifier so I applied it here.
Stealth (Tactical, +2 Cloak): 3d6+9 19

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 18, 2016

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Hegentha lurks in the corridor next to Talia. "Can you get a move on, girl? We're on a schedule here." Her eyes dart up and down the empty tube, watching for anybody who might find this suspicious.

Awareness: 3d6+2+1 12

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Hegentha

There's nobody immediately around, but this area is right off a high-traffic path. It's only a matter of time before someone sees you, and then things are going to get ugly.

All players: My apologies for an extended absence. My only excuses are the election happened and also I was on a mountain that was on fire with no internet connection. Everyone who's still active, please sound off. I suspect we may need some replacements.

Cirno in particular: 24 hours to roll.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I'm still here.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roll will come when I get home from work.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Talia Slide

"Ok, keep watch out, and get ready to keep people off me. This is gonna gather a LOT of attention."

Talia starts futzing around with the air control as fast as she can. Electronics are slipping in and out of a myriad of pockets. More then one wrench is revealed to exist somewhere on her person. Nuts and bolts get increasingly scattered around the floor.

"Put this one here, then...ok, and the controller lock...now, this is technically still theory, so it SHOULD...and, there! This...hopefully does what it's supposed to!"

Mechanics: 3d6+2 10

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sabotage

Talia is up to her elbows in the guts of the life support pipeline. By the end of it, she's got more parts on hand than should feasibly fit inside the duct she's ripping apart. Finally, she leans in and yanks one wire out of its socket.

Through the observation glass, you see the hangar bay turn red with the glare of the decompression alert. The crew drops what they're doing and immediately heads for the nearest airlocks, double-time. It's a little difficult to make how how many of them get there, though, on account of the decompression alarms also going off in your segment of the station and the sudden drop in air pressure in here, too.

It's a good thing Rabbit is already in the ship. They'd be insufferably smug about the whole "breathing" thing while you suffocated.

You have a decision to make! You can either hunt for a backup air source, which will require a roll to find your nearest emergency cabinet, or run straight for the ship. You'll get there in time to not die, but there's absolutely no way you'll do so without being noticed by the evacuating maintenance crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

"Well, poo poo." Hegentha sighs. "I suppose these things happen."

Unrushed, she strolls off down the corridor. "There's an emergency station in the next hall over. I noted it before we started. This is how you prepare for a plan."

Inside, a little part of Hegentha based on Kalatoran memories is screaming very loudly. Thank god for plan B.

Awareness Of Air: 3d6+2+1 17

• Locked thread