Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

I'm fairly certain he is talking about the phones, it's just that someone at Google isn't going to say "Hey everyone, our phones coming out a week will be underwhelming and overpriced."

It's the first time they've designed a phone and one of the first major hardware pushes they've made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Dang I was thinking of actually getting the Google home thing as it would be nice to have and 6 months of youtube red make it a pretty good deal.

I already have youtube red though and it's not available to current or past subs. Booooo

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

Dang I was thinking of actually getting the Google home thing as it would be nice to have and 6 months of youtube red make it a pretty good deal.

I already have youtube red though and it's not available to current or past subs. Booooo
My flatmate has an Echo and it made me consider getting a Google Home as I'm pretty sure it'll be better than Amazon's tech.

Not available in the UK.

Thanks Google.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Even with that I kinda still want one, and the wife is all over it. Annoyingly it looks like the colored bases are a Google-only addon with dates and pricing still TBD.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Even with that I kinda still want one, and the wife is all over it. Annoyingly it looks like the colored bases are a Google-only addon with dates and pricing still TBD.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/04/google-home-available-4-november-129-preorder-today/

If you mean Home itself, it's $129 and launches on November 4th.

The bases are also preorder-able today as well from the Google Store.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
Did anyone see if the Google WiFi router will work with a regular router? My modem has a WiFi router built in but I'd like to extend the range to be more reliable in my bedroom, plus I'm a dumb idiot bitch for Google stuff.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

torturemyballs posted:

Did anyone see if the Google WiFi router will work with a regular router? My modem has a WiFi router built in but I'd like to extend the range to be more reliable in my bedroom, plus I'm a dumb idiot bitch for Google stuff.

I would expect it to, in fact most every router can be if you turn off the dhcp server.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/04/google-home-available-4-november-129-preorder-today/

If you mean Home itself, it's $129 and launches on November 4th.

The bases are also preorder-able today as well from the Google Store.

When I was looking at the store, the bases didn't have any pricing or preorder options, only the Home unit itself.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I barely venture into this forum but I saw the Pixel come up on Facebook today and I'm kind of excited for it. I'm still using a Moto X 2013 (first gen) because I hate big phones and the 5" Pixel is about the size of the original Moto X. The Pixel also seems to have good specs, but I am not up to date on what cutting edge is, so can someone give me an opinion on how it compares to the latest and greatest phone hardware?

The only real downside I see is the price, but it's really not that unreasonable for being a new model. The glass back is kind of stupid, but whatever. I take good care of my phones. My Moto X from 2013 isn't cracked and I don't even use a case!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Google user design is what you get when you take the dogmatism of Jobs but lack the good taste of Jobs. Google knows what you will want, and outside their core competency, they often don't.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

I hate big phones and the 5" Pixel is about the size of the original Moto X.
Not really, no.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

SpartanIV posted:

I barely venture into this forum but I saw the Pixel come up on Facebook today and I'm kind of excited for it. I'm still using a Moto X 2013 (first gen) because I hate big phones and the 5" Pixel is about the size of the original Moto X. The Pixel also seems to have good specs, but I am not up to date on what cutting edge is, so can someone give me an opinion on how it compares to the latest and greatest phone hardware?

The only real downside I see is the price, but it's really not that unreasonable for being a new model. The glass back is kind of stupid, but whatever. I take good care of my phones. My Moto X from 2013 isn't cracked and I don't even use a case!
The biggest issues people have with it are price and not waterproof. Otherwise the specs are pretty much top shelf. The non-XL is "only" 1080p in a 5" screen, but that is still higher res than the iPhone is.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Don Lapre posted:

I would expect it to, in fact most every router can be if you turn off the dhcp server.

Thanks friendo! :)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Endless Mike posted:

Not really, no.

That's a pretty cool graphic, which site lets you compare phones like that?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

That's a pretty cool graphic, which site lets you compare phones like that?

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size

It's a cool tool fool

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My favorite thing is that you can calibrate it to your phone to get an idea of the actual size.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Sad to see that the Pixel is bigger than I thought. I guess I can keep my Moto X going a few years more, right? Maybe one day Sony will make the Xperia Compact compatible with LTE. :smith:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I wonder if the symmetrical bezels and their size have something to do with daydream and the VR headset.

Might make sense to make it easier to position the screen properly. I also wonder about the thermal design since there are quotes that the 6P lacks the proper thermal capabilities to support daydream.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

FunOne posted:

I wonder if the symmetrical bezels and their size have something to do with daydream and the VR headset.

Might make sense to make it easier to position the screen properly. I also wonder about the thermal design since there are quotes that the 6P lacks the proper thermal capabilities to support daydream.

It has to do with HTC reusing poo poo.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

It has to do with HTC reusing poo poo.

Explain?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Its an HTC 10. With a different screen. And camera. And back panel. And front panel. And SoC. But its mostly the same thing, so they must be re-using the same housings.

Its a meme that makes 0 sense to me. But neither do most memes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

FunOne posted:

This is plausible. My Nexus 6 is always off center when I've tried it with cardboard.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Its an HTC 10. With a different screen. And camera. And back panel. And front panel. And SoC. But its mostly the same thing, so they must be re-using the same housings.

Its a meme that makes 0 sense to me. But neither do most memes.

I thought people were saying it was an A9.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Jigoku posted:

I thought people were saying it was an A9.
Im not paying them any attention, so whichever.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I think my plan is to continue using my droid turbo until I really need a new phone. Either the Nexus 6p or the Pixel will do down in price enough to make me upgrade. I just don't believe that the Pixel is actually worth that kind of money. The nexus 6p had top of the line hardware in it and cost a lot less. The only real hardware that seems to be unique is it looks like the google assistant thing is on it's on SoC (presumably to allow for better multitasking and battery consumption). I doubt I'd even use google assistant much so that really doesn't make it worth the 150-250 dollars more.

I did see some rumors somewhere that google is looking to design their own ARM processor. Which would be really nice, since qualcomm refuses to support poo poo for any longer than like 2 years. Plus maybe google can figure out how to improve battery consumption.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I did see some rumors somewhere that google is looking to design their own ARM processor. Which would be really nice, since qualcomm refuses to support poo poo for any longer than like 2 years. Plus maybe google can figure out how to improve battery consumption.

That would be great and probably worth $650. They're copying Apple without all the things that Apple prices into their phone, and they're coming in at the same price point.

Apple gets crazy battery life with batteries almost half the size of Android phones. You also can no longer point to them and say "but they don't have multitasking" or "but they don't have real multitasking".

It's really what Google needs to do. They'll probably also need to ditch the Linux kernel as it is and go with something else that's better designed for mobile from the start.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

my theory is that when andromeda comes along, google will force phone company's to a more apple like update path if they want to use the new OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I guess take your discussion to the Android Thread now that the event is over..

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689060

• Locked thread