Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gay devil posted:

The official Renegade Immortal translations are so bad the protagonists name is sometimes spelled 3 different ways all in one chapter. I made it about halfway in despite that. Occasional weirdness common to WNs aside, the mortal arc in Renegade Immortal had some genuinely touching moments.

I should really give ISSTH a shot.

ISSTH is divided between incredible shenanigans and boring fight scenes, and the latter becomes more common as the story goes on

e: also it's very much in the "everyone is a complete rear end in a top hat by default" school of cultivation world

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cradle is getting a collection of short stories. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbX97l4KHtg

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

Early parts of Er Gen novels generally humor me a lot but I found that the later the novel goes, the more the story drags on. It feels like I would be best served by reading the first 200 chapters and then just moving on.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
in Beyond the Timescape he realized the trick is to make the comic relief character also mysterious and powerful and able to keep up with the protagonist.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Nemo Somen posted:

Early parts of Er Gen novels generally humor me a lot but I found that the later the novel goes, the more the story drags on. It feels like I would be best served by reading the first 200 chapters and then just moving on.

I don’t think I’ve ever finished one of these long xianxia, and I’ve read quite a few. Once the MC hits the end of the established power scale and we make up new tiers of powerful to keep the story going, they generally lose their way.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lord of mysteries latest chapter: hey we caught a wizard and are hypnotically interrogating him, let's spend the whole chapter quzzing him on the details of his magic system because we need intel on what our enemies can do the fans really want to know it.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sindai posted:

in Beyond the Timescape he realized the trick is to make the comic relief character also mysterious and powerful and able to keep up with the protagonist.
there's a serial going over on RoyalRoad called Elder Cultivator that is broadly fine (premise: old guy gets his entire village burned down, decides to try cultivation even if it kills him, he brings the perspective of an actual mortal life of age to a bunch of kids etc) that has kind of a similar dude to this

he created a bunch of Ancient Mysterious Treasure Hoards and like thirty of his own Actual Tombs filled with traps and loot (while still being alive obviously) and then hosed off after stealing from everyone
later a bunch of characters ascend to a higher realm and whenever anyone asks "where are you from" nobody has heard of their home world but when they say "oh we're where this dude's from" they're like "THAT rear end in a top hat?!" cause he did the exact same thing further up the chain
definitely hoping that as the inevitable scope creep continues it will be revealed that he was somehow stealing from every new set of fuckers introduced

also Elder Cultivator is surprisingly good, I definitely got invested in some of the characters and they were not the ones I expected to like the most, so I guess this is a lukewarm recommendation