Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
The digs at China and western expats there are right on point. I love it.

I don't understand why I'm having such a hard time using the memory cell, but it blocks when the data port is written to. I've checked out the manual and am just writing the most simplest code I can to try to figure it out. It's the dumbest thing, but I can't figure out what I'm going wrong.

New Coke fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Did you place a ROM bank when you meant to use a RAM?

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

edit: yeah that was it.

New Coke fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 17, 2016

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
That's a ROM bank. You meant to use a RAM bank. Like nielsm said. You put the values in a ROM bank manually during design, not automatically during code execution.

edit: awww, put your image of shame back up. :argh: edit again, it was this

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

Yeah I'm an idiot. Double checked after responding to neilsm's post and realized he was right. Thanks!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
print meat on the cheap with a $14 meat printer :cool:

my first solution had an OR gate and two NOTs acting as diodes for one of the cases, looking like a giant plate of spaghetti. it still came in at lower power/lines of code than this one though. optimization is weird.

edit: even more efficient meat, $11/216/17. i was aiming for an $8 solution but i ran out of room to extrude the meat.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 18, 2016

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Finally beat the pollution sensing window bafter doing some line saving to fit all my code in.

Then went back and improved a bunch of other solutions to use the RAM address pointer as an counter instead of ACC. Didn't save much power but it's been a very good Shenzhen weekend overall.

One final push tonight. Some of these later puzzles really are kicking my arse and I think I've reached my limit.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

i have two puzzles on the workshop if anyone feels brave enough to attempt these (easy) challenges:

RAY GUN

this one was my first attempt. i was aiming for a puzzle that's straightforward but has cramped quarters.

FACE CONTROLLER

make a controller that activates different areas of a face based on the emotion. if wired right, it'll look like a face when it's done.

thehustler posted:

One final push tonight. Some of these later puzzles really are kicking my arse and I think I've reached my limit.

i think i'm finally hitting a wall at the airplane drink machine. the color coordinating shoes were a walk in the park compared to this.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Dieting Hippo posted:

print meat on the cheap with a $14 meat printer :cool:

my first solution had an OR gate and two NOTs acting as diodes for one of the cases, looking like a giant plate of spaghetti. it still came in at lower power/lines of code than this one though. optimization is weird.

edit: even more efficient meat, $11/216/17. i was aiming for an $8 solution but i ran out of room to extrude the meat.

:smugdog::pipe:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

:eyepop:

thank you for freeing me from the shackles of ROM use. it's not quite $8 now, but i still got lower cost/power from dropping it.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Dieting Hippo posted:

i have two puzzles on the workshop if anyone feels brave enough to attempt these (easy) challenges:

RAY GUN

this one was my first attempt. i was aiming for a puzzle that's straightforward but has cramped quarters.

FACE CONTROLLER

make a controller that activates different areas of a face based on the emotion. if wired right, it'll look like a face when it's done.

i think i'm finally hitting a wall at the airplane drink machine. the color coordinating shoes were a walk in the park compared to this.

You can cheese that one by not using rom and just using one IC per ingredient

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Hah! My time on Security Nightmare became easier when I realised that you only had to store one active card number, not every card stored.

And with that, another one down, and maybe this game ain't over for me yet...

*looks at next one*

Gulp.

Edit: How poo poo were everyone's hash functions?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

thehustler posted:

Edit: How poo poo were everyone's hash functions?

"Literally toss six of the ten numbers directly into the garbage" poo poo. That level is the greatest thing in the entire game. I redid my old solution from scratch a few days ago and figured out I could do the whole thing in one MC6000. I've come a long way since complaining about almost every level in this thread, so thanks to everyone who helped!

Be sure to play a little bit into the 2nd campaign for a callback.

Dieting Hippo posted:

RAY GUN

I just got this in 4/267/9 which was off the charts on cost and power. Nice!

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 23, 2016

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I think I added together every digit and then added 20 and multiplied by 3 :)

Now I'm wondering how simple I can make it to save lines or power.

You probably don't need every digit but the less you use the more chance there is of a hash collision.

Is it possible to do this without RAM? I ran out of registers and I'm literally using the first memory location and nothing more.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You definitely don't need ram but it might be that or a second MC. My hash function is precisely one power per digit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 23, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My cheap/simplified door lock solutions have been either MC4000+MC6000 or MC6000+ROM.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

thehustler posted:

I think I added together every digit and then added 20 and multiplied by 3 :)

Now I'm wondering how simple I can make it to save lines or power.

You probably don't need every digit but the less you use the more chance there is of a hash collision.

Is it possible to do this without RAM? I ran out of registers and I'm literally using the first memory location and nothing more.

You must process every digit (either add, sub, or mov somewhere) otherwise they're going to sit in the xbus buffer and ruin your day. The trick is to just find a sequence of add/sub/mov nulls that won't get a hash collision in the test set.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

New Coke posted:

The digs at China and western expats there are right on point. I love it.

old post but same here. i live very close by shenzhen and it's pretty funny

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
85 wins in Solitaire... I'm close!

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

double riveting posted:

85 wins in Solitaire... I'm close!

I'm still disappointed that you don't get an email reprimanding you for wasting company time at 100.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Eliza posted:

I'm still disappointed that you don't get an email reprimanding you for wasting company time at 100.

So send that in to the devs as a suggestion. They have a sense of humour so it may even happen.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
913 and counting :negative:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I think I need a new hobby

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm stuck on the kill switch. I was hoping that I could fill up commands with junk numbers bigger than 1 and the dx300 would ignore them, but it doesn't work and I'm at a loss for where to go from here without brute forcing it.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Pomp posted:

I'm stuck on the kill switch. I was hoping that I could fill up commands with junk numbers bigger than 1 and the dx300 would ignore them, but it doesn't work and I'm at a loss for where to go from here without brute forcing it.

if it's not separate yet, try splitting off any code solely for controlling the DX300 to a new MC. that should give you a bit more room to work with and help to avoid working with junk numbers.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
what a mess

edit: :smuggo:

Pomp fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 3, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lol you didn't need to abandon the dx-300 completely!!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Pomp posted:

what a mess

edit: :smuggo:

:popeye: it took me a bit to see what was going on and i love it. weaker men would use a dx300.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Zach Barth is coming to my office to do a QA later this month. If anyone has any questions they'd like me to ask them lmk and I'll post back afterward.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Whoa! Just found this thread.

Been playing for a couple weeks, I'm in Avalon City on the electronic target practice problem.

I've got shot counting and scoring worked out, but coordinating all the display necessities is driving me nuts.

Setup: (1)MC4000 that reads "detect" and keeps tract of shots.
(2) and (3)Two MC6000 calculate the Pythagorean distance (squared) and assign it a value
When a shot is made, both sequence number and value are sent to and (4)MC600 which divvies up the values for archer 1 (1-4) and 2 (5-8). 8 triggers an EOG signal

Two (5) and (6) MC6000s then keep score and output. Each has an (7) and (8)MC4000X coprocessor to handle flashing the display.

It all seems rather sloppy and over-coded at this point, like I need some clever insights on how to chop down on the data movement and complexity.

Current status:

It doesn't work ATM but I've been working on it for several days. I don't want spoilers, but any hints as to algorithms or data structures to make the back end run efficiently would be appreciated.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's what most of my solutions end up looking like :p

But seriously, it seems like you've got a reasonable approach of dividing things between MCs, it's just a matter of making everything fit. A few tips that might help:

- Make sure you're using all the space on the board! There's a whole column off to the right there you're not using right now, shuffling things over to make use of that space will free up room for more traces, maybe some larger/additional MCs, that kind of thing.
- Think about all the components available. Is a RAM useful here? What about a ROM? what about the PGA? (Actually, I've never found the PGA useful. But it seems like it might end up being helpful, at some point).
- Does dividing the labour a bit differently help things? This is most useful when you have one chip that you're having trouble fitting everything in, taking a small part of its job and moving it somewhere else can often help.
- You can put a label on the very first line of code, rather than needing an instruction at the very end to jump to.

Ultimately once you have something functional (even if it's a bit messy), you can then look at it and see how to cut things down to be more elegant. Getting something that actually works is the first step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thank you for mentioning RAM. It turned out to be the solution to the score problem by detaching the two processes.

Got it solved. It's crappy and inefficient, but it works. :)

On to the next one.

• Locked thread