Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Done, that was fun. Masterful language, the turns of phrase remind me of Pratchett (yes, it's really the other way around).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I finished this morning! My first time reading any Wodehouse, and like a lot of folks here I couldn't help but read it all in Hugh Laurie/Stephen Fry's voices. I'm surprised how jarring I found the handful of racist moments (particularly Bertie dropping the N-bomb out of nowhere) - it feels so ill-fitting with the cosy theme and indulgent prose. But I suppose it's hard to avoid when dealing with books from 80 years ago. Really enjoyed the book otherwise, it was as fun and funny as I expected.

Gertrude Perkins fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 29, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I finished this morning! My first time reading any Wodehouse, and like a lot of folks here I couldn't help but read it all in Hugh Laurie/Stephen Fry's voices. I'm surprised how jarring I found the handful of racist moments (particularly Bertie dropping the N-bomb out of nowhere) - it feels so ill-fitting with the cosy theme and indulgent prose. But I suppose it's hard to avoid when dealing with books from 80 years ago. Really enjoyed the book otherwise, it was as fun and funny as I expected.

There's a really unfortunate episode of the BBC series that I'm pretty sure didn't air in America because it has extended scenes of Hugh Laurie in blackface.

I just tell myself that the British don't get it and especially didn't get it in the 1990s and 1920's.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Black and White Minstrel Show was on TV for a lot longer than it should have been.

Slightly off topic, but the only instance I've ever seen of Blackface being used well in the UK was one episode of Psychoville, and that was portrayed as being something a very out of touch person thinks is entertaining and is treated with the level of 'what the gently caress is this' that was appropriate.

I remember them saying during an interview that they expected a lot of complaints but they didn't receive any, and they were hopeful that it was because people took it as the ridiculous relic it was rather than 'At last, some proper entertainment'

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's a really unfortunate episode of the BBC series that I'm pretty sure didn't air in America because it has extended scenes of Hugh Laurie in blackface.

I just tell myself that the British don't get it and especially didn't get it in the 1990s and 1920's.

A brief search came up with this old LJ post, and I'm sorry to say I remember seeing a lot of these on telly growing up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think they just don't believe it to be such a big deal and regard it as historical - I've seen the episode in question and IIRC Jeeves does have some derogatory comments about it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

That Jeeves / Ones from Beyond mashup on the last page did NOT get enough love.

Anyway, how about nonfiction? A friend recommended to me Anthony Bourdain's first memoir, which can be vaguely tied into Thanksgiving, if you want a thematically appropriate month.

E: Yes, that's it. Kitchen Confidential. \/\/\/\/

poisonpill fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 31, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

poisonpill posted:

That Jeeves / Ones from Beyond mashup on the last page did NOT get enough love.

=)

It has a lot of subtle little touches, too. Like it lists the author as "The Rt. Hon. Bertram Wooster," i.e., Bertie is a Member of Parliament -- our first clue that this is a tale of horror -- or that Jeeves appears to have invented the Heimlich Maneuver about forty years early, or the way it works in other contemporary stuff like Carnicki the Ghost Finder (who was also suggested in last months' thread as a possible October read).

quote:

Anyway, how about nonfiction? A friend recommended to me Anthony Bourdain's first memoir, which can be vaguely tied into Thanksgiving, if you want a thematically appropriate month.

I really like this idea. Kitchen Confidential, right?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

=)

It has a lot of subtle little touches, too. Like it lists the author as "The Rt. Hon. Bertram Wooster," i.e., Bertie is a Member of Parliament, or that Jeeves appears to have invented the Heimlich Maneuver about forty years early, and the way it works in other contemporary stuff like Carnicki the Ghost Finder (who was also suggested in last months' thread as a possible October read).

I really like this idea. Kitchen Confidential, right?

Kitchen Confidential is great and will change the way you eat at (good) restaurants forever. People with a low douchebag tolerance might not like it though. I might recommend Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as a Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany in the same vein. The author works closely with Mario Batali, among many others, and there's an interesting culinary history question binding the memoir together, as Buford attempts to figure out when we started adding an egg to pasta dough.

• Locked thread