Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vlishgnath
Mar 27, 2006
So since some law was passed this summer where no grocery stores are allowed to grind meat anymore, I've decided I need to just do it my drat self.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a quality meat grinder? I only need it to grind chuck roast for my meatballs and the pre-ground meat at my local Fry's was disappointingly tough and they won't tell me what it's actually comprised of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

We use the Kitchenaid stand mixer FGA2 attachment to good results. Hand crank grinders aren't hard to find locally for super cheap, but remember you need an extremely solid base (your countertop) to attach it to. If you do end up with a used tool, clean it extremely well before using the first time.

It will be worth the effort, whatever you end up with. We never buy pre-ground anymore.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Vlishgnath posted:

So since some law was passed this summer where no grocery stores are allowed to grind meat anymore

Where?

Vlishgnath
Mar 27, 2006

Arizona

Vlishgnath
Mar 27, 2006

ColdPie posted:

We use the Kitchenaid stand mixer FGA2 attachment to good results. Hand crank grinders aren't hard to find locally for super cheap, but remember you need an extremely solid base (your countertop) to attach it to. If you do end up with a used tool, clean it extremely well before using the first time.

It will be worth the effort, whatever you end up with. We never buy pre-ground anymore.

Thanks!

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Great timing on this thread, as I just got a meat grinder for my birthday from well-meaning in-laws and have absolutely no idea what to do with it! Would it be cool if we turned this into a general "what the hell should I do with my grinder" thread? I'd love some basic tips and suggestions.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Correnth posted:

Great timing on this thread, as I just got a meat grinder for my birthday from well-meaning in-laws and have absolutely no idea what to do with it! Would it be cool if we turned this into a general "what the hell should I do with my grinder" thread? I'd love some basic tips and suggestions.

Put meat in it and grind it

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Also you want to keep everything really cold. I was taught to throw cubed up meat and the grinder (I use the kitchen aid attachment) in the freezer for a half hour or so before grinding.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Correnth posted:

Buy this and make sausage. Also make friends with a hunter that will trade meat for help making sausage and you will get free meat and lots of practice.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Deer sausage usually sucks FWIW.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 18, 2016

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Is loving good or bad?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

ColdPie posted:

Is loving good or bad?

Maybe he means sucks. A lot of hunters make the most uninspired bland sausage out of venison. I knew one guy that made overpoweringly sage filled sausage. But that doesn't make venison a bad sausage ingredient. It just makes them bad cooks. Also many guys hunt more than deer and there are a lot of wild animals you can put in sausage.

Here is a short video with my hunting idol and the guy who wrote the book I suggested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUG8VAWO7XU

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 18, 2016

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah I meant sucks. I'm sure there's some good deer sausage out there but I've never had any.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

Maybe he means sucks. A lot of hunters make the most uninspired bland sausage out of venison. I knew one guy that made overpoweringly sage filled sausage. But that doesn't make venison a bad sausage ingredient. It just makes them bad cooks. Also many guys hunt more than deer and there are a lot of wild animals you can put in sausage.

Here is a short video with my hunting idol and the guy who wrote the book I suggested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUG8VAWO7XU

Rinella rules and most hunters are terrible cooks.

I made a pronghorn merguez after seeing that video and it rocked. I've also made a bunch of other cervid based sausages, mostly based off of recipes in Charcuterie, and they've all been really good.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

charliebravo77 posted:

I made a pronghorn merguez after seeing that video and it rocked. I've also made a bunch of other cervid based sausages, mostly based off of recipes in Charcuterie, and they've all been really good.

A pronghorn merguez sounds awesome.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

A pronghorn merguez sounds awesome.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

That looks so good. If you ever come to Texas let me know.

Is there a wild game thread in GWS?

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 18, 2016

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Correnth posted:

A very approachable book on sausage-making is Bruce Aidells' Complete Sausage Book:
https://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Aidellss-Complete-Sausage-Book/dp/1580081592

It was a nice book to start with, has a lot of sausage recipes in modest amounts (~3 lb is typical) and lots of recipes on what to do with the sausage, either loose or stuffed.

Also, there's a sausage thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771067

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
http://smokehousechef.com/ has an all-stainless steel grinder for the kitchenaid. I don't use it much because the sausages I've made so far haven't been great, but it grinds stuff and will probably last forever and everything can go in the dishwasher.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I picked up a grinder today to try it out. Fed it a couple pounds of chicken breast that were freezer burned and nigh-inedible anyway as a test batch - there's metal-on-metal grinding I can hear/feel and visible chunks of whatever coating is on the cast iron in the resultant extruded meat product. Typical break-in stuff? It's a pretty rough casting so it wouldn't shock me, just checking to see if it's abnormal.

Tempted to lightly grind down the auger on the shiny spots until it goes away rather than feed it meat until it comes out clear...

MoldyFrog
Oct 28, 2006
Who doesnt like a green fuzzy thing?
I purchased a LEM brand grinder. Like the 1 HP or 3/4 HP version. Rated for a few hundred pounds an hour. Use it mostly to grind up chicken breasts into meat for the freezer when on sale. When chicken thighs go on sale for a buck a pound we buy 30 or 40 lbs and grind it to make sausage. Thighs have just about the right amount of fat so that we don't have to hunt down pork fat from the butcher.

The nice part about the overkill grinder is that we can literally grind 30 lbs in a few minutes. It takes longer to prep than it does to grind the meat. The larger feed throat on the bigger machines can be fist sized or larger so a boneless thigh basically needs no trimming. Just drop it straight in. With the smaller grinders usually you need to cube the meat down to make it fit the throat.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A very approachable book on sausage-making is Bruce Aidells' Complete Sausage Book:
https://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Aidellss-Complete-Sausage-Book/dp/1580081592

It was a nice book to start with, has a lot of sausage recipes in modest amounts (~3 lb is typical) and lots of recipes on what to do with the sausage, either loose or stuffed.

Also, there's a sausage thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771067

That book is good. So's this one, especially on the practicality of things: https://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-Recipes-Meat-Curing/dp/0025668609

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
Harbor freight is where we bought our meat grinder. Had it for 7+ years now with no issues. We use it probably 2-3 times a year to make family Italian sausage recipes, 20-30 pounds of pork shoulder at a time with no binding issues, easy set up and take down, easy clean. Comes with a couple size attachments and a stuffing attachment if you want to put things into links.

http://m.harborfreight.com/electric-meat-grinder-99598.html

If you get one of their 20% off coupons that come in the mail all the time it's like 45 bucks.

• Locked thread