Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Spaced God posted:

I think it has something to do with us hardworking aggies (whoop) going to war and doing poo poo while you sat in the city sipping tea? Maybe? Sounds dumb, so it's probably right. Frankly despite rivalries being necessary for competitive sports, the vitriol between a minority of us is kinda lovely and detracts from the whole thing.

Hopefully someone takes up Texas Motor Speedway's offer to have a game there. That would be dope.

e: also lol oregon

i dont need your crocodile manners you fake army motherfucker come correct or dont come at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Spaced God posted:

I think it has something to do with us hardworking aggies (whoop) going to war and doing poo poo while you sat in the city sipping tea? Maybe? Sounds dumb, so it's probably right. Frankly despite rivalries being necessary for competitive sports, the vitriol between a minority of us is kinda lovely and detracts from the whole thing.

Hopefully someone takes up Texas Motor Speedway's offer to have a game there. That would be dope.

e: also lol oregon

Correct on all points as far as I can tell. It was either at WW2 or Vietnam thing of "Aggies to go war, Longhorns sip tea at home".

Also Oregon sucks this year. We might not get past 2 wins.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Oregon vs ND for the battle for 3 wins

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Donnell Pumphrey Record Watch

code:
Rank          Player          Yards

1.          Ron Dayne         6,397
2.          Ricky Williams   6,279
3.          Tony Dorsett       6,082
4.          Deangelo Williams   6,026
5.          Charles White      5,598
6.          Travis Prentice     5,596
7.          Cedric Benson     5,540
8.          Donnell Pumphrey     5,518
If Pumphrey just plays the five remaining games on the schedule, he needs about 175 yards a game to break Dayne's record. With a theoretical and extremely possible MWC championship game added, he needs 147 a game. Add in the bowl game, and he needs 126 yards per game to become the all time NCAA rushing leader.

Choo Choo

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Donnell Pumphrey Record Watch

code:
Rank          Player          Yards

1.          Ron Dayne         6,397
2.          Ricky Williams   6,279
3.          Tony Dorsett       6,082
4.          Deangelo Williams   6,026
5.          Charles White      5,598
6.          Travis Prentice     5,596
7.          Cedric Benson     5,540
8.          Donnell Pumphrey     5,518
If Pumphrey just plays the five remaining games on the schedule, he needs about 175 yards a game to break Dayne's record. With a theoretical and extremely possible MWC championship game added, he needs 147 a game. Add in the bowl game, and he needs 126 yards per game to become the all time NCAA rushing leader.

Choo Choo

Where did you get those numbers? Sports reference has Dayne at 7125 and Dorsett at 6526.

e: Maybe those are non-bowl stats? Nah, can't be, because they agree with your Pumphrey number.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 22, 2016

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Where did you get those numbers? Sports reference has Dayne at 7125 and Dorsett at 6526.

Those totals include bowl games which the NCAA doesn't recognize until post-2002. According to the NCAA official records, Dayne is the leader at 6,397

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I didn't realize Deangelo Williams was that good in college

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Those totals include bowl games which the NCAA doesn't recognize until post-2002. According to the NCAA official records, Dayne is the leader at 6,397

Oh yeah I forgot the way they just changed over and didn't bother to update the old guys. I suppose for super old games there might not be accurate records, but hell for anyone actually up toward the top of career leader lists that shouldn't be an issue.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hook 'em!

Wrong thread, but my point still stands

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Oh yeah I forgot the way they just changed over and didn't bother to update the old guys. I suppose for super old games there might not be accurate records, but hell for anyone actually up toward the top of career leader lists that shouldn't be an issue.

I realize that a lot of people aren't gonna recognize the record as legitimate and everything but the fact that Pumphrey is so close and could actually do it makes me not care

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Random question, but: Is there a more nondescript team in college football than North Carolina State? All that's missing is their nickname being the Wildcats, instead of the Wolfpack.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

the mean lunch lady posted:

Random question, but: Is there a more nondescript team in college football than North Carolina State? All that's missing is their nickname being the Wildcats, instead of the Wolfpack.

They weren't always.

There was a time when Chuck Amato was standing on the sideline, pectorals fully pumped, sun gleaming off his Oakley Blades while they were beating the brakes off early-aughts FSU and driving Jeff Bowden into an antidepressant-fueled obesity.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

No, they are the most generic program. Always getting between 5 and 8 wins to finish middle of the table in a middling conference. State school with average academics. Some good NFL players but not a ton. No really notable traditions or fan quirks. And the basketball program is the same save for the '83 miracle championship.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

They were fun to watch in 14 and 15 because of Jacoby Brissett.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Metapod posted:

I didn't realize Deangelo Williams was that good in college

He was pretty much the only thing memphis had on offense. Cool guy, too.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the motherfucking wildcat
https://vine.co/v/5wPl2vubiQj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

No, they are the most generic program ... State school with average academics.

Once admitted basketball player Chris Washburn, despite a 470 SAT score. The lowest score possible back then was 400.

• Locked thread