Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
Background: Worked with boats for about a third of my life, live on one of the Great Lakes (Ontario). Never really had much interest in the military services, mostly due to fear of being shot, but lately I've been wondering about the Coast guard. I am an Eagle Scout, and used to be a Sea Scout (for what that's worth) back in the day, so I did end up interacting with my local CG station on a semi-frequent basis. They seemed like pretty cool guys, and had a little house to themselves at the beach.

I guess I'm somewhat patriotic. I want to serve my country, but I sure as hell don't want to die in Iraq. My brother was a medic, just served a term in Afghanistan a few years back for the army, and to be quite honest everything that he's been through scares the poo poo right out of me. I want to help people, and I want to feel good about my work, but I sure as hell want to live until I'm 90.

As to why I'm interested in the first place?, well... I work a tech support job at the moment, but I'm not sure it's what I want out of life. I'm young, early 20s, and I've spent a few months in Ghana for a film project, and I worked in LA for a while with the New York Film Academy. I've been all over the US and suddenly the thought of spending my 20s staring at a computer seems like a waste... I guess I'm looking for more out of life, and I know my way around boats pretty well. So...

Tell me about the Coast Guard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Coast Guard's chill as gently caress, you'll spend your career cruising around cleaning buoys and loving chicks. The boot camp's hard though.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

Noun Verber posted:

Coast Guard's chill as gently caress, you'll spend your career cruising around cleaning buoys and loving chicks. The boot camp's hard though.

I've heard that it's one of the most intense in all the armed services. I'll definitely need to lose a couple pounds before I even attempt.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

UWBW posted:

Background: Worked with boats for about a third of my life, live on one of the Great Lakes (Ontario). Never really had much interest in the military services, mostly due to fear of being shot, but lately I've been wondering about the Coast guard. I am an Eagle Scout, and used to be a Sea Scout (for what that's worth) back in the day, so I did end up interacting with my local CG station on a semi-frequent basis. They seemed like pretty cool guys, and had a little house to themselves at the beach.

I guess I'm somewhat patriotic. I want to serve my country, but I sure as hell don't want to die in Iraq. My brother was a medic, just served a term in Afghanistan a few years back for the army, and to be quite honest everything that he's been through scares the poo poo right out of me. I want to help people, and I want to feel good about my work, but I sure as hell want to live until I'm 90.

As to why I'm interested in the first place?, well... I work a tech support job at the moment, but I'm not sure it's what I want out of life. I'm young, early 20s, and I've spent a few months in Ghana for a film project, and I worked in LA for a while with the New York Film Academy. I've been all over the US and suddenly the thought of spending my 20s staring at a computer seems like a waste... I guess I'm looking for more out of life, and I know my way around boats pretty well. So...

Tell me about the Coast Guard!

Which Coast Guard are you interested in? It looks like you're considering the US Coast Guard, but mention that you live in Ontario? There are significant differences between US and Canadian Coast Guards.
While the US version is part of the military, the Canadian one is civilian public service.
edit: I'm a dumbass. Lake Ontario, not living in Ontario.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 21, 2016

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Here's a link to the Coast Guard thread in Goons in Platoons:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669105

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?
I just know when I was on base being all military and poo poo in my uniform and hating life, the coasties were chilling the most in civvies being so casual. We envied those dudes hard. poo poo we even envied the army dudes on post. I feel like I joined the opposite Air Force sometimes.

• Locked thread