Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Would it be the size of an elephant? A city? A mountain range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Wouldn't it just be the size of a bacteria's universe??

edit: I am not an expert in analogies.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
The universe is pretty big, and you won't be able to understand it by going down as small as bacterium. Not even an atom would help once you get past the galaxy level, I don't think.

Wikipedia says bacteria are typically a few micrometres in length, which is a millionth of a metre, so: 0.000 003m. An example human might be 1.8m - so divide 1.8m by 600,000 to get the size of a "standard" bacterium.

The earth to the moon is on average roughly 385,000km. Divide that by 600,000 and you get 0.64km. So for us to go to the moon (in distance terms) is a bacterium travelling 0.64km.

Say we want to go to the sun, and we wait til it's at its "average" distance of 150,000,000km. That's 250km for bacteria.

The solar system is about 50 AU in diameter, or 7.5 billion km, so 75,000,000,000km. Divide that by 600,000 and you get: 125,000km - so for a bacterium, going 1/3 of the way to the moon.

There are 100-400 billion stars in our galaxy (Milky Way), although I think I read this could double once we get the replacement for the Hubble up.

The diameter of the Milky Way is 100-180 kly (thousand light years), let's take 150 for safety, so that's 150 * 9 trillion km, 1350 trillion km. For bacteria, divide by 600,000, that's 225,000,000,000 km or 3 times the size of our solar system.

And there are apparently 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe, but that will probably increase. At this point I've given up trying to make comparisons on the scale because what's the point

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
A hydrogen atom is 25 picometres (25 trillionths of a metre), so if a 1.8m human were the size of a hyodogen atom, divide by 72 000 000 000.

The Milky Way would become 18, 750km I guess? I don't know, maths isn't my strong point.

The solar system would be 100m in diameter.

e: sorry for the double post. Also, no matter how badly I might have miscalculated it, at least it won't hold a match to the vacuum catastrophe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_constant_problem

quote:

In cosmology, the cosmological constant problem is the disagreement between measured values of the vacuum energy density (the small value of the cosmological constant) and the zero-point energy suggested by quantum field theory.

Depending on the assumptions, the discrepancy ranges from 40 to more than 100 orders of magnitude, a state of affairs described by Hobson and Efstathiou (2006) as "the worst theoretical prediction in the history of physics."[1] The magnitude of this discrepancy is such that the statement "the observable universe consists of exactly one elementary particle" is at least ten orders of magnitude more accurate.

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 21, 2016

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
That's a very good answer, thank you! So basically the universe would still be unimaginably huge even if we were absolutely tiny. Hard to wrap my mind round it...

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Yeah there's nothing like physics and the scale of the universe to bring your ego down a peg or two. We're just shambling meat stilts held together by a few dim sparks of electricity, that's about it. We're not capable of comprehending the universe, nor are we meant to. You can also spend a bit of time thinking about the age of the universe, or even the timeline of human evolution (i.e. when modern humans existed) compared to the duration of human civilisation, if you want to feel even more like a teeny little nonevent

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

duckmaster posted:

That's a very good answer, thank you! So basically the universe would still be unimaginably huge even if we were absolutely tiny. Hard to wrap my mind round it...

I think it's easier to comprehend if you just accept the fact that we are absolutely tiny. Bacteria are tinier but, in the context of the size of the universe, humans and bacteria are of similar size.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

duckmaster posted:

If someone says that they can grasp how big the universe is, laugh at their dumb faces. Noone can wrap their heads around the universal scale.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Lima posted:

If someone says that they can grasp how big the universe is, laugh at their dumb faces. Noone can wrap their heads around the universal scale.

I was thinking about this in the shower a few days ago.

The entire universe (as in, what we *can't* see yet) is as to the observable universe, as the observable universe is to a mathematical point.

:colbert:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Can you go into that a bit, with numbers if possible?

e: gently caress it's not october anymore

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Can you go into that a bit, with numbers if possible?

e: gently caress it's not october anymore
The size of the stuff we can't see isn't well understood (for good reason), there's people who argue it's not all that much bigger, and people who argue it's unimaginably bigger:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe#The_Universe_versus_the_observable_universe

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Big.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Infinite, regardless of scale infinite is still infinite.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I'm not helping you with your homework, OP.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Or as Douglas Adams put it, "Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space."

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

If humans were the size of bacteria, how big would the universe be?

...The same size, surely?

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Size is infinite, I believe. I can't answer your question because I don't feel like doing all that math for you, but I think you can go infinitely deeper and infinitely larger. Our universe obviously has a limit when it comes to biggest and smallest, because I believe our universe is finite.

Size is the same as numbers, you can always go bigger, and smaller. It goes forever. You can always zoom in more, or zoom out more. At no time will zooming in or out more become impossible, because that would make no sense.

So, your question is relevant and has an answer that can be figured out, but in the grand scheme of things it's irrelevant. In my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It would be the size of the universe.

• Locked thread