Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

THE FUTURE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I think that I'm tired of all this free-to-play bullshit and would like to whale out, how do I get my character's account flush with funbux?

Unfortunately, if you didn't create your account using the referral system from another player with a membership, you're stuck with the microtransactions

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
anyone want to join my clan? only :10bux:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if reality is just a simulation then I wonder if the cpu in my computer is actually doing the calculations I tell it to by running current through gates or if the simulation is shortcutting having to emulate that and just giving me the results.

what I'm saying is this could be pretty great for battery life if we learned to use the simulator's resources directly

George
Nov 27, 2004

The Management posted:

if reality is just a simulation then I wonder if the cpu in my computer is actually doing the calculations I tell it to by running current through gates or if the simulation is shortcutting having to emulate that and just giving me the results.

what I'm saying is this could be pretty great for battery life if we learned to use the simulator's resources directly

isn't this what quantum computers are supposed to do

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

angry_keebler posted:

okay, so get this

i went out to my shop and started swinging a crowbar at a bunch of cardboard boxes, and when i hit them they exploded with a big puff of dust and like some little bugs and spiders and stuff started crawling out. and when i went to look for the bugs i couldn't find any?

hmm... where else do you find a bunch of pointless empty boxes that emit a cloud of dust and bugs that disappear when you stop looking at them?
Open your ears, Wong. I’m not tellin’ you these games have been around and I’m such an old geezer that I never noticed them. These games, the devices that play them, they didn’t exist before last month. And now they’re everywhere, on every TV set and, hey, ask around and people say they’ve been common for years and years. I’m a journalist, I travel, I got kids in the family, I know the world. And they didn’t sell these game boxes before, I know they didn’t because it’s insane that they do at all. But I start seeing the shadows move and I get up one day and suddenly every kid is glued to a box that’s training him. Tell me it ain’t. Millions of them, all over the country, all over the world, millions of kids spending hours and hours getting quicker and quicker on the trigger, getting truer and truer aim and colder and colder inside. That’s training. That’s conditioning, if I ever saw it. And in your world, in this world, this version of reality that played out, nobody finds this strange? Really?”

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

looool

i was all "babby's first philosophy" but then WHAM BAM punchlie

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

George posted:

isn't this what quantum computers are supposed to do

https://qntm.org/ra

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Actually, we are all living in but a small fragment of the Gem of Immortality, shattered, but still under the control of Mondain the Wizard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBeA6JHkV1I

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
this thread is so bad i wish it were onl y a simulation

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i cannot imagine any futuristic civilization, running a simulated universe, would see your posting without immediately pulling the plug. therefore this is reality.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Soricidus posted:

i cannot imagine any futuristic civilization, running a simulated universe, would see your posting without immediately pulling the plug. therefore this is reality.

unless the simulation was made by their funny computer forum.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dongslayer. posted:

unless the simulation was made by their funny computer forum.

GOON PROJECT: let's simulate a universe and see if they come up with their own dead gay forums

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

The Management posted:

GOON PROJECT: let's simulate a universe and see if they come up with their own dead gay forums

they'll probably end up being funnier than SA

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

The Management posted:

I'll set up the blog.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Raere posted:

I think I need to be defragmented I'm running very slowly

I work in the social services, and a lot of the people we work with have a lot of regrets. I've asked our case managers to have their clients come out and watch me run. I run so slow, time run backwards. As I waddle along, your life runs in reverse. Scars becomes wounds become chances to exercise better judgement. I run slow.

Like most people, I enjoy running in the mornings, before it gets to hot. Unlike most people, I've been pushed over by a squirrel.

I run slow. Sometimes when I am running, I think of those zen fountains that absorb a drip drip drip of water down a bamboo tube before finally tipping over and dumping their contents into a pool. Each step I take is another drip. I think, that fountain would call me a pussy.

I run slow. But I know where I have been.

Six months ago, I didn't run.

Six months ago, I had heartburn bad enough to keep me from sleeping through the night. Six months ago, I felt like I needed to go to sleep at 2pm. And six months ago, running felt impossible.

I run slow, and I have ways to go. But I can sleep. I feel alive. I can run two, slow, miles. Slowly.

Sometimes I get discouraged. I compare where I am to where other people are. But all that matters is where I am compared to where I was.

Once something good becomes something you are going to do for the rest of your life, the pace becomes less important. I know that my drip drip drip will amount to that deluge, eventually. Someday I will run 3 miles, slowly.

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016

indigi posted:

I work in the social services, and a lot of the people we work with have a lot of regrets. I've asked our case managers to have their clients come out and watch me run. I run so slow, time run backwards. As I waddle along, your life runs in reverse. Scars becomes wounds become chances to exercise better judgement. I run slow.

Like most people, I enjoy running in the mornings, before it gets to hot. Unlike most people, I've been pushed over by a squirrel.

I run slow. Sometimes when I am running, I think of those zen fountains that absorb a drip drip drip of water down a bamboo tube before finally tipping over and dumping their contents into a pool. Each step I take is another drip. I think, that fountain would call me a pussy.

I run slow. But I know where I have been.

Six months ago, I didn't run.

Six months ago, I had heartburn bad enough to keep me from sleeping through the night. Six months ago, I felt like I needed to go to sleep at 2pm. And six months ago, running felt impossible.

I run slow, and I have ways to go. But I can sleep. I feel alive. I can run two, slow, miles. Slowly.

Sometimes I get discouraged. I compare where I am to where other people are. But all that matters is where I am compared to where I was.

Once something good becomes something you are going to do for the rest of your life, the pace becomes less important. I know that my drip drip drip will amount to that deluge, eventually. Someday I will run 3 miles, slowly.

namaste and godspeed, tubby

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Smythe posted:

Suits my needs, BITCH!!!!!!!!!!

smythe you are cool

i enjoyed your term as gbs mod

also if the universe is a giant computer, it is estimated to contain two trillion galaxies

carl sagan was lowballing it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
serious post this poo poo is dumb and im still mad at Ben frievogel for writing that paper

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

big scary monsters posted:

if the universe were a simulation it would mean there's some godlike extradimensional ubernerd running it on their sick gaming rig, so you can see why the idea appeals to dweebs with an overinflated sense of self worth

otoh you're not really ready to unplug from teh matrix if you can't even log off of world of warcraft

George
Nov 27, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

otoh you're not really ready to unplug from teh matrix if you can't even log off of world of warcraft

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
this poo poo is dumber than flat earth

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

flakeloaf posted:

Open your ears, Wong. I’m not tellin’ you these games have been around and I’m such an old geezer that I never noticed them. These games, the devices that play them, they didn’t exist before last month. And now they’re everywhere, on every TV set and, hey, ask around and people say they’ve been common for years and years. I’m a journalist, I travel, I got kids in the family, I know the world. And they didn’t sell these game boxes before, I know they didn’t because it’s insane that they do at all. But I start seeing the shadows move and I get up one day and suddenly every kid is glued to a box that’s training him. Tell me it ain’t. Millions of them, all over the country, all over the world, millions of kids spending hours and hours getting quicker and quicker on the trigger, getting truer and truer aim and colder and colder inside. That’s training. That’s conditioning, if I ever saw it. And in your world, in this world, this version of reality that played out, nobody finds this strange? Really?”

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
The Truth was the presumptuous name of the religion, the faith that lay behind reality. It arose from the belief that what appeared to be real life must in fact - according to some piously invoked statistical certitudes - be a simulation being run within some prodigious computational substrate in a greater and more encompassing reality beyond. This was a thought that had, in some form, crossed the minds of most people and all civilisations. However, everybody quickly or eventually came round to the idea that a difference that made no difference wasn't a difference to be much bothered about, and one might as well get on with (what appeared to be) life.
The Truth went a stage further, holding that this was difference that could be made to make a difference. What was necessary was for people truly to believe in their hearts, in their souls, in their minds, that they really were in a vast simulation. They had to reflect upon this, to keep it at the forefront of their thoughts at all times and they had to gather together on occasion, with all due ceremony and solemnity, to express this belief. And they must evangelise, they must convert everybody they possibly could to this view, because - and this was the whole point - once a sufficient proportion of people within the simulation came to acknowledge that it was a simulation, the value of the simulation to those who had set it up would disappear and the whole thing would collapse.
If they were all part of some vast experiment, then the fact that those on whom the experiment was being conducted had guessed the truth would mean that its value would be lost. If they were some plaything, then again, that they had guessed this meant they ought to be acknowledged, even - perhaps - rewarded. If they were being tested in some way, then this was the test being passed, this was a positive result, again possibly deserving a reward. If they had been undergoing punishment for some transgression in the greater world, then this ought to constitute cause for rehabilitation.
It was not possible to know what proportion of the simulated population would be required to bring things to a halt (it might be fifty percent, it might be rather smaller or greater), but as long as the numbers of the enlightened kept increasing, the universe would be constantly coming closer to the epiphany, and the revelation could come at any point.
The Truth claimed with some degree of justification to be the ultimate religion, the final faith, the last of all churches...
...It could also claim a degree of universality that the others could not. All other major religions were either specific to their originating species, could be traced back to a single species - often a single subset of that species - or were consciously developed amalgams, syntheses, of a group of sufficiently similar religions of disparate origin...
... The Truth could even claim to be not a religion at all, where such a claim might endear it to those not naturally religious by nature. It could be seen more as a philosophy, even as a scientific postulate backed by unshakeably firm statistical likelihood.
There were some potentially unfortunate consequences implicit in a profound belief in the Truth. One was that there was a possibility that when the simulation ended, all the people being simulated would cease to exist entirely. The sim might be turned off and everybody within the substrate running it would die. There might be no promotion, no release, no return to a bigger and better and finer outside: there might just be the ultimate mass extinction...

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

everything we have done, and will do, is ultimately pointless.

Floating point-less.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

angry_keebler posted:

is everything we experience just a complex illusion? are we alljust blips and blobs of data in a really big space computer? consider the evidence:

• all observed phenomena are, at least in principle, calculable; there's nothing that exists which can't be described mathematically.

• the finite speed of light allows for asynchronous computation of distant reference frames

• the cutting edge of quantum chronodynamics suggests the underlying structure of the universe is a grid, just like you'd expect inside a computer.

• many objects appear to be too simplified. for example, when you leap on a turtle shell, the turtle doesn't go shooting out wearing a tank top and striped boxer shorts.

is our simulation like the matrix where we're plugged in or is it like tron where we are physically inside the simulation? the grid thing makes me thing its more like tron which is cool cause I like light cycles and Olivia Wilde

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
occam's razor idiots

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

occam's razor idiots

occam's razr

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Shaggar posted:

is our simulation like the matrix where we're plugged in or is it like tron where we are physically inside the simulation? the grid thing makes me thing its more like tron which is cool cause I like light cycles and Olivia Wilde

well, for every interesting person there are ten sexual deviants prancing around in bondage costumes and hundreds of weirdos with crudely shaped mass produced gizmos and bizzare half formed doodads bumping into the terrain and hanging out saying lol, so i'd have to guess second life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

poty posted:

i dont exist irl

im just your brains projection of who youd like to become one day

more like a warning sign

• Locked thread