Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The high security prison Nanba...nobody can escape it alive. That's not going to stop these four idiots from trying!!!!

Behold: the prisoners of Block 13!

Number 15, Jugo, a young Japanese man who lives only to break out of prison. He was born in a prison, and in prison he will surely die. This is the paradox of Jugo!
Voiced by Yuuto Uemura.

Number 11, Uno, a British man who only cares about women and gambling. He'll only break out of prison if he has a date, which he'll definitely get one soon! Definitely!!
Voiced by Tetsuya Kakihara.

Number :siren:69:siren:, Rock, an American who wants a good fight and some good food, just like you or me.
Voiced by Airu Shiozaki.

Number 25, Nico, an American who does drugs and watches anime.
Voiced by Daiki Kobayashi.

But wait!!!! These prison guards will try and stop them!!!

Hajime Sugoroku, kind and caring brother, dauntless everyman, and responsible supervisor. Sugoroku is an example to us all, and I want to be like him when I grow up.
Voiced by Tomokazu Seki.

Yamato Godai, he loves to work out. He doesn't even do his job, really, all he does is exercise all the time. I would work out with him.
Voiced by Shunsuke Takeuchi.

Uhh, this guy, the anxious one! I don't remember his name! He's a real pushover, a total puss, a friggin crybaby. Perhaps he isn't cut out for the job, but when you're stuck on a remote prison island, do you really have a choice? Seitaro! That's his name.
Voiced by uhh, Keito Okuyama.

The other supervisors are all insane shonen villains. They can sense your killing intent from miles away.

The Fearsome Warden Momoko Hyakushiki is surely the most dangerous person on the planet. Why else would she be given control of the impervious, dangerous, and remote Nanba? Her power is infinite, and her rage knows no bounds. Rumor is that she has it out for Hajime. How much longer will he have his job, I wonder?
Voiced by Satomi Akesaka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://a.pomf.cat/pbskme.webm

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nanbaka is based on the manga by Shou Futamata. I think this show is pretty funny and the garish designs of the characters work in the show's aesthetic. If you enjoy comedy where people shout a lot this show might be for you! Please enjoy.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

This show really needs to scrap the dumb escape subplot and focus on what really matters, the adorable warden lady.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AnoHito posted:

This show really needs to scrap the dumb escape subplot and focus on what really matters, the adorable warden lady.

It's already scrapped that plot, to focus on becoming...

A tournament battle anime!?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

This series is :sparkles: in anime/manga form. Also Warden Hyakushiki is a formidable boss indeed.

Can't wait to watch the tournament episode!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the jokes in this are really hit or miss for me, but i do like the aesthetic and am sticking around to see how they shift into a shonen battle thing. the ninja method actor was great, though :allears:

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Why do the male characters all look so effeminate? Is this some new type of anime I missed while busy getting old?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Noun Verber posted:

Why do the male characters all look so effeminate? Is this some new type of anime I missed while busy getting old?

lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Noun Verber posted:

the last decade of anime for women

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Seriously though, someone explain this poo poo in a way my Nana in Arkansas would understand.

E: Being specifically for girls makes sense I guess. Do asian women have a thing for transmen? I've seen some k-pop groups that look like glam metal bands on estrogen, is that the same thing?

Noun Verber fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 24, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Noun Verber posted:

Seriously though, someone explain this poo poo in a way my Nana in Arkansas would understand.

women find them sexy

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Women also find delicious cakes sexy and so do I so why can't we have an anime about anthropomorphic sexy cakes hmm? I'll just leave this for you guys to chew over, thanks for answering my questions!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Noun Verber posted:

E: Being specifically for girls makes sense I guess. Do asian women have a thing for transmen? I've seen some k-pop groups that look like glam metal bands on estrogen, is that the same thing?

hm

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Noun Verber posted:

Women also find delicious cakes sexy and so do I so why can't we have an anime about anthropomorphic sexy cakes hmm? I'll just leave this for you guys to chew over, thanks for answering my questions!

we've got anthropomorphic sexy swords this season, i'm sure cakes are next season

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Noun Verber posted:

hm

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Arkansan Grandmother Confused By Anime Bishounen.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sharkopath posted:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Intrepid Reporter Interviews Reclusive Local Man: "How have you avoided pretty boys for over 40 years?"

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

seriously tho is a visual styling thats been around forever, the farthest back i know of personally is ikeda doing bishounen characters for rose of versailles, ignoring oscar even

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

the last decade of anime for women

Yeah really, this show feels more like a throwback than anything else

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Yeah really, this show feels more like a throwback than anything else

yeah you could trace this back to something like Patalliro, all the way from the early 80's

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Nanbaka is based on the manga by Shou Futamata. I think this show is pretty funny and the garish designs of the characters work in the show's aesthetic. If you enjoy comedy where people shout a lot this show might be for you! Please enjoy.

Comparable to Cromartie?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Comparable to Cromartie?

Hmm...I think Cromartie is a lot funnier and a lot more restrained than Nanbaka. They aren't really comparable.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

is this a anime for an chicks I don't know. I just don't know???

Noun Verber posted:

hm

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

yeah you could trace this back to something like Patalliro, all the way from the early 80's

The character designs remind me of Saint Seiya a bit as well, like something Masami Kurumada would have come up with if Saint Seiya had aired for another decade longer

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I saw an episode of this on Kuvo's stream last night. It's as if a 4 person tumblr/deviantart OC fanfiction circlejerk somehow got greenlit as an anime. I definitely hated it but I guess I have to give it props for its energy.

Also re: effeminite men, such sights to show you, etc

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cory in the Blouse posted:

I saw an episode of this on Kuvo's stream last night. It's as if a 4 person tumblr/deviantart OC fanfiction circlejerk somehow got greenlit as an anime. I definitely hated it but I guess I have to give it props for its energy.

i definitely hated this post but i guess i have to give you props for making it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Both shows are directed by the same person, incidentally!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's not incidental at all!!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

It's not incidental at all!!

That's right!!!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
It's garish, it's shallow and yet I kinda enjoy these shiny technicolor nail polish boys.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Noun Verber posted:

The social ideal of male beauty in Japan (and most of east Asia afaik) skews more towards what a Western society might consider somewhat more feminine (less body/facial hair, less bulging muscles). That's obviously a generalization and individual tastes vary, but it's a trend that bears out in media representation.

Anyway, this show has a dizzying array of name/kanji puns and I love it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Good ep this week, all the little gags came together for that final attack

• Locked thread