Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Anidav posted:

Actually I'm a tall guy who stares at doooooooogs

And fish...

The creatures outside looked from fish to man, and from man to fish, and from fish to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvzAv1QTmU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Looks like the ABCC has a bunch of power to compell "interviews" and nothing was actually added/amended to curtail this.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

It's a bit weird watching someone having a stroke in real time.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cirofren posted:

Looks like the ABCC has a bunch of power to compell "interviews" and nothing was actually added/amended to curtail this.

And the MSM, particularly the CPG couldn't give a rats arse about it. Even Laura Tingle on Late Night Live just shrugged her shoulders and said something about bad things in the construction industry. Cos bad stuff happens to those people not nice clean white collar dickheads with quasi-ASIO powers.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

And the MSM, particularly the CPG couldn't give a rats arse about it. Even Laura Tingle on Late Night Live just shrugged her shoulders and said something about bad things in the construction industry. Cos bad stuff happens to those people not nice clean white collar dickheads with quasi-ASIO powers.

Yeah, surprised Phillip didn't pull her up about that

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I have an excellent solution to the whole parliament lawns security thing:

Bury the whole thing in concrete ten metres thick, block all the windows, air conditioning etc and make the politicians work in a darkened sweatbox bunker so they are reminded they serve the people.
Plus hey, great physical security now.

The only fluorescent lights installed will be required to flicker randomly with buzzing noises.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

George Christiansen, like a horrible moth from a cocoon, arises from the paragraphs as a very nasty case of authoritarian blinkers to what is right in front of him. Pointless to quote, you need to read the whole thing for the effect every paragraph has upon you.

Then remember this is the guy very likely to get the Nationals leadership unless we're extremely lucky.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

ewe2 posted:

George Christiansen, like a horrible moth from a cocoon, arises from the paragraphs as a very nasty case of authoritarian blinkers to what is right in front of him. Pointless to quote, you need to read the whole thing for the effect every paragraph has upon you.

Then remember this is the guy very likely to get the Nationals leadership unless we're extremely lucky.

In what world would the rest of the Nationals partyroom vote for Christensen? Sorry, there's been a lot of hosed up things happen in the last few years but I cannot believe they would be that stupid.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
If nobody else is gonna make a new thread for this month, I will.

Taking requests for what I should base the OP on. It's not gonna be that picture of Christensen, because that's probably a crime.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

ewe2 posted:

The two paragraphs that start with "OH YEAH, George," - Christensen came from a family of basically nothing, both parents on disability pensions, but is part of a government that makes it harder for people to get on the DSP, I can't wrap my head around that.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

Taking requests for what I should base the OP on. It's not gonna be that picture of Christensen, because that's probably a crime.

Base it off the NT tourism campaign.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Cleretic posted:

Pictures of me.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Or consoles
Labor is N64
Liberals are PS1
Greens Saturn
LDP 3DO
ONP Jaguar
Independents cheap clone consoles.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Who is the ngage

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

ewe2 posted:

quote:

He later became disillusioned with the Catholic Church because of the sexual abuse scandals and what he perceived as a drift away from core dogmas. "You don't hear about the Catholic teaching on abortion from the pulpit ever. You might hear about Aboriginal land rights."

Wow what an irredeemable piece of poo poo

Actually one redeeming feature in that article is the flicker of self-awareness that he heralds the decline of the west

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

Our society has become weakened, degraded, demotivated. It hates itself." 

quote:

Do people think Western civilisation will just keep going?" he asks. "All civilisations come to an end at some point. There is going to be a reckoning."

quote:

When a car was driven into a Sydney police station earlier this year, Christensen jumped on Facebook to predict "some idiot is going to inanely say this has nothing to do with Islam". (Christensen later backtracked on the comments when police said the man had no known terror links.)

quote:

Someone who won't criticise him is Deputy PM Barnaby Joyce. "I crossed the floor 28 times," Joyce says of his days as a maverick senator. "I'm not going to be a hypocrite." After the election, Joyce appointed Christensen to the prestigious position of National Party Chief Whip, giving him responsibility for corralling votes and acting as a link between the leader and the backbench. "George has great potential, so I gave him increased responsibilities," says Joyce. "There's no reason at all he couldn't be a cabinet minister. Now that's not imminent. But does he have the ability to run a department? Yes. He knows what he believes in. He's very well read, very intelligent. The biggest mistake you can make with George is to think he's a fool cause he ain't."

quote:

Have you heard of the acronym MGTOW?" Christensen asks. I search my brain. Not a clue. "It stands for: Men Going Their Own Way."

Described by youth website VICE as a form of "ideological celibacy" in which men take their opposition to feminism so far they swear off sex, Christensen says it's a "crazy" subculture. But a revealing one, too.

"There is something permeating our culture right now that has led to a loss of identity for men in particular," says Christensen, 38, who has had several long term girlfriends but never married.

"For centuries we have known, because of biological reasons, what our place in the world was. Men were the hunters, women the gatherers. Men were the protectors, women the nurturers."

Then, in Christensen's telling, women streamed into the workforce, divorce became common and male dominated manufacturing jobs moved offshore.

quote:

Why would I run someone against you?" Christensen remembers Hanson telling him. "You're saying all the things I say."

quote:

Go outside the big cities here, he says, and you'll find similar angst about immigration, free trade and political correctness – the fear you'll be labelled a racist if you dare criticise Islam or Aboriginal welfare.

quote:

After graduating, he decided to become a Catholic priest – an idea he'd long considered – and attended a seminary in Melbourne. He was set to join the priesthood until his father "pointedly objected" to it. "All hell broke loose, basically. I was given an ultimatum: you can go, but don't ever come back." Almost 20 years later he still doesn't know why. "I have some thoughts," he says, his voice trailing off. "To this day I still wonder if it was the right decision. It's something I haven't ruled out."

He later became disillusioned with the Catholic Church because of the sexual abuse scandals and what he perceived as a drift away from core dogmas. "You don't hear about the Catholic teaching on abortion from the pulpit ever. You might hear about Aboriginal land rights.

quote:

Dawson saw the biggest jump in unemployment between the last two elections of any electorate in Queensland. It also has one of the highest obesity rates in the country. Christensen – who weighed 75 kilograms when he left school but has been more than 100 kilograms for almost 20 years – says: "Everyone has their crutch. Mine is that when I get stressed I eat the wrong thing." His weight has made him an easy target for ridicule, but also more relatable to constituents. "He's not part of the Canberra elite – just look at the guy," says Airlie Beach restaurant owner Kevin Collins.

Cleretic posted:

Where are the balls in politics? Where have they gone?
_______/

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 2, 2016

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The dude is a real life ignatius j reilly

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I'm sure George Christensen swearing off sex is a devastating blow to feminists everywhere.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

In what world would the rest of the Nationals partyroom vote for Christensen? Sorry, there's been a lot of hosed up things happen in the last few years but I cannot believe they would be that stupid.

I think that he can. Maybe even 5 years ago a piece like this would bury a politician for good. Now it's a badge of honour that he won't be walking back. That's how far we've come. The voices of semi-reason in the party have no effect, because they themselves don't understand that facts are done, personality is in and George can ride that. The Nats cannot ignore the vote he can bring in as being a credible Nat version of Hansonism, that would be the stupid thing.

hawaiian_robot posted:

The two paragraphs that start with "OH YEAH, George," - Christensen came from a family of basically nothing, both parents on disability pensions, but is part of a government that makes it harder for people to get on the DSP, I can't wrap my head around that.

Bootstraps. Let's all laugh hollowly.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Anidav posted:

Or consoles
Labor is N64
Liberals are PS1
Greens Saturn
LDP 3DO
ONP Jaguar
Independents cheap clone consoles.

I'm doing this one but I'll probably try to make things a little different.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
George Robert Christensen MP has today called for a Royal Commission into why Sizzler outlets keep closing down across Australia.

The rotund Member for Dawson has today announced that he can no longer remain silent over the fact that the nation’s favourite all-you-can-eat restaurant chain is disappearing in front of our very eyes.

“The $14 dollar salad bar and buffet special at Sizzler is as Australian as Toadfish Rebecchi’s goatee,”

“It is a very important part of Australian life and family unity… [heavy breathing] their delicious complimentary cheese toast needs to be protected,”

The company that owns the iconic Australian buffet outlet, Collins Foods, has announced they will continue to shut down under-performing Sizzler restaurants – after the struggling brand posted $10.4 million loss for 2015, compared to a $14 million profit the year before.

However, Christensen – who has already called for two different referendums in the last twelve months – says this isn’t good enough.

“We need to look at local council’s response to struggling Sizzler franchises. We need to look at the brand itself,”

“Why are Australians no longer indulging in this delectable high-carb past time? Is it because of halal certification? Has it got anything to do with the gays?”

The far-right National party representative has made headlines of late for his outspoken opposition to the Safer Schools program which is aimed at helping young LGBTI teens not hurt themselves. Christensen said talking about gay stuff only makes gay stuff okay.

“Gay people don’t need encouragement to be gay. They need to be told to stop being so gay around me”

More recently, the walking Lowes advertisement has also been ridiculed over his call for a separate state of North Queensland.

“If North Queensland is allowed to secede… I will be building a wall to keep out all the kale-eating gays and Muslims that have made life so hard for businesses like Sizzler,”

However, Townsville mayor Jenny Hills says she would walk backwards from Bourke if George Christensen has any say in how a North Queensland republic would be run.

“The bloke is from Mackay. It’s not even that North… He can get hosed for all I care,”

“His idea of North Queensland is not really what it’s like up here. He wants it to be like Texas with a bunch of fat gay-hating Christians sitting in buffets and complaining about Muslims,”

“He can call for as many Royal Commissions as he likes but no one is gonna listen to that fat prick.”

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

iajanus posted:

Who is the ngage

Democrats?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Chips posted:

Democrats?

Chanting "GST" is the kryptonite for any democrats.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

adamantium|wang posted:

I'm sure George Christensen swearing off sex is a devastating blow to feminists everywhere.

I almost feel bad for pointing this out but...

quote:

"I really came into my own," he says of his university days. "There was drinking, partying, girls. By the end I stopped going to tutorials."

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Les Affaires posted:

Not only did Abbott become leader of the Federal Liberal Party, but also became PM.

Don't discount how stupid some people can be

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

You Am I posted:

Not only did Abbott become leader of the Federal Liberal Party, but also became PM.

Don't discount how stupid some people can be

Abbott was the right kind of stupid for Australia. ATHETLIC. Budgie smugglers etc. Intelligence was never a selling point or even a factor.

Christiansen is most definitely not mainstream and would never get that kind of support.

Seriously. Why is this even a consideration? Aussies don't vote for fatso. Sorry fellow goons, you'll never be pollies.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Both Hockey and Turnbull dropped several kilos before even hinting at taking a lead role in cabinet and the leadership respectively. It's one reason why the public never quite resonated with Bomber Beazley.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Here, people, have a new thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800224

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Les Affaires posted:

Both Hockey and Turnbull dropped several kilos before even hinting at taking a lead role in cabinet and the leadership respectively. It's one reason why the public never quite resonated with Bomber Beazley.
Well, let's assume yes and we missed out on a reasonable PM all things being equal.

However, wind the clock forward and yet here we are judging politicians based on appearance - even though the one in question gives the impression of being a total moronic dickhead.

I could only imagine the stink if someone linked to an article on Greens education policy and I posted it should be disregarded because Sarah Hanson-Young looks like a slut.

Point is, I don't really care what you say but when I feel like I'm somewhat on the track to being the voice of reason then gently caress.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I refuse to give Ciarg the last post

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I refuse to give Ciarg the last post

Look at me, Mr Terrifying potato head avatar who thinks he can claim last post in Auspol for a month.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Lets be bold a never have a next thread.
Last month forever today, tomorrow and after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Threads Dead

• Locked thread