Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
Last night I found out my girlfriend is (probably) pregnant. We'll know for sure in a couple hours. I already have a huge to-do list but I'm kind of freaking out and I really want to start asking people for advice, but obviously before I can do that we're going to have to announce it to family and friends. So to that end, I'm asking for help with ideas on how to make it unique and fun. This would be our first child.

Example:
We've all seen this before-

It's cute, fun, and straightforward.

As a "theme" I thought something having to do with "rolling" a character in a game, although I'm not sure how we would implement it without it being ambiguous to non-gamers. That was just one thought, and that's pretty much all I've got so far.

If anyone has any ideas please post them! I'd be forever grateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Bag of ice, Roy from The IT crowd, Bag of ice, cramping lady?

You drat kids and your internet memes.

EMCF
Feb 21, 2007
Send a letter to the people who matter, spare the world your meme bullshit.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
write the announcement on a realdoll, set it afloat in the nearest river and see if anyone picks it up before it drifts out to the sea

ZeBourgeoisie
Aug 8, 2013

THUNDERDOME
LOSER
Ask your friends and family for abortion clinic recommendations.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
Guess I should've expected these responses, it just puzzles me how hypocritical this forum can be with its rules sometimes. You can't tell people to kill themselves, but telling another poster they should abort their unborn child is entirely cool.

EMCF posted:

Send a letter to the people who matter, spare the world your meme bullshit.

A "meme" is exactly what I DON'T want. I just wanted something cute to share with friends and family, NOT anyone else. Gooddamn you goons seriously act like the most joyless bitter people on the internet. According to you guys wedding invitation and/or guestbook ideas are also "meme bullshit" too, right? gently caress those people who try to make huge life events special.

TheEffect fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 7, 2016

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

TheEffect posted:

Gooddamn you goons seriously act like the most joyless bitter people on the internet.

welcome to SA :D

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
maybe you can send a nice letter to your friends and family telling them to expect a new bundle of joy for the family. perhaps have a barbeque and then spring the good news on them then :)

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Print a T-shirt that says "I inseminated her vagina" with an arrow pointing left. then have you wife stand on the left :roflolmao:

The cool thing about this idea is, now you have a fun commemorative T-shirt you can wear to show everyone that you're a proud father to be!

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
maybe something involving "This is my final form" and an arrow pointing at your wife's womb, idk

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I want to suggest something like 'new game+' but that wouldn't work for the olds/non-gamers i guess

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
I'd like to make a serious suggestion, but nearly everything I think of is so twee I cringe. Maybe you could invite your loved ones to advise you and your girlfriend through the process of character creation? Or do something with Sims screenshots, if either of you plays or has access to a helpful Simming friend?

A gamer-themed announcement is a little doofy, but it's the kind of doofy that's born out of excitement and happiness. Bless you. I wish you the best.

Kaishai fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 7, 2016

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
"Congrats on letting some tosser blow his beans up your muff"

- On a balloon maybe?

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
Had an idea last night. The woman likes puzzles, so I was thinking maybe I could create a jigsaw puzzle one piece at a time based on our dogs and us, ending with the final piece which would be the baby. Thing is I don't carve wood. I can program, so I thought about coding a webpage with this functionality, but that sounds much more lame, plus I can't draw. Also, not sure if I REALLY like the idea.

Ironic Twist posted:

maybe something involving "This is my final form" and an arrow pointing at your wife's womb, idk

Sitting Here posted:

I want to suggest something like 'new game+' but that wouldn't work for the olds/non-gamers i guess

Kaishai posted:

I'd like to make a serious suggestion, but nearly everything I think of is so twee I cringe. Maybe you could invite your loved ones to advise you and your girlfriend through the process of character creation? Or do something with Sims screenshots, if either of you plays or has access to a helpful Simming friend?

I like these suggestions! Gonna think on them a bit more.

Kaishai posted:

A gamer-themed announcement is a little doofy, but it's the kind of doofy that's born out of excitement and happiness. Bless you. I wish you the best.

Much appreciated!

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
You know what would be unique and interesting in today's world? Just getting on the phone and calling people. If they aren't important enough to justify the phone call, then they can hear about the pregnancy through social media/grapevine. If they are important, pick up the phone and give them a call.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Naerasa posted:

You know what would be unique and interesting in today's world? Just getting on the phone and calling people. If they aren't important enough to justify the phone call, then they can hear about the pregnancy through social media/grapevine. If they are important, pick up the phone and give them a call.

The gently caress?

How the hell does that focus all the attention on the OP? No one is going to think how clever and quirky they are if they keep is dignified!!

ZeBourgeoisie
Aug 8, 2013

THUNDERDOME
LOSER

504 posted:

The gently caress?

How the hell does that focus all the attention on the OP? No one is going to think how clever and quirky they are if they keep is dignified!!

He could do it while wearing a silly hat. A fedora seems appropriate.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

this is a Bad Thread

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

what the gently caress buddy

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
You should mod challenge this. Please. Love you long time?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

TheEffect posted:

Guess I should've expected these responses, it just puzzles me how hypocritical this forum can be with its rules sometimes. You can't tell people to kill themselves, but telling another poster they should abort their unborn child is entirely cool.
A "meme" is exactly what I DON'T want. I just wanted something cute to share with friends and family, NOT anyone else. Gooddamn you goons seriously act like the most joyless bitter people on the internet. According to you guys wedding invitation and/or guestbook ideas are also "meme bullshit" too, right? gently caress those people who try to make huge life events special.

This is not tumblr. Nobody has to lick you.

That said, congratulations on your impending new arrival, seriously!

I came up with a few ideas for your baby announcement:

- Put three pairs of flip-flops in the sand with baby-sized ones in the middle (that's thongs, if you're from a country where people say "thongs" for flip-flops like some kinda god drat retards [note: I apologize for saying "retard" in front of your baby and I hope I don't give it ideas]). Write, "Coming Summer 2017!"

- Put three thongs (the butt kind, not the foot kind) in the sand and write "Cumming Summer 2017" and also draw a winky face.

- Paint the woman's bump to look like an egg and write LOL GET IT????????/ in Comic Sans above it.

- Paint the female's protrusion to look like a cabbage and write "Cabbage Patch kids are all orphans, but this one probably won't be!"

- Paint the hyoo-mon fee-male blue and shave her head and put glasses on her and write "if I were an Analrapist, she wouldn't even be pregnant!" This is important because nerd poo poo is good for babby development; it's like folic acid or something.

- Get a bunch of Gypsies to stand around your womyn and act like they're snatching the baby out of her and write "PRE-ORDER NOW!!!" Because Gypsies are dirty and bbabby-thieving. Everyone knows that.

- Bury yourself in seagull carcasses and have your mouth open and all kinds of crayfish coming out of your mouth and also Photoshop some dollar signs over your eyes because YOUR PENIS IS MONEY CHAMP.

- Do a before and after Weight Watchers-style ad. But also maybe dress the bbbaby as a hamburger or something because lol fatties eat burgers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Don't be such a loving whiner. Congratulations on your kid. I hope it is better at gauging appropriateness than you are.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

you make the before the baby pops?

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
We've definitely already called our closest friends and family and let them know. This would be just for the "facebook" friends really. This is mostly for her; she likes this kind of stuff what can I say.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

This is not tumblr. Nobody has to lick you.

That said, congratulations on your impending new arrival, seriously!

I came up with a few ideas for your baby announcement:

- Put three pairs of flip-flops in the sand with baby-sized ones in the middle (that's thongs, if you're from a country where people say "thongs" for flip-flops like some kinda god drat retards [note: I apologize for saying "retard" in front of your baby and I hope I don't give it ideas]). Write, "Coming Summer 2017!"

- Put three thongs (the butt kind, not the foot kind) in the sand and write "Cumming Summer 2017" and also draw a winky face.

- Paint the woman's bump to look like an egg and write LOL GET IT????????/ in Comic Sans above it.

- Paint the female's protrusion to look like a cabbage and write "Cabbage Patch kids are all orphans, but this one probably won't be!"

- Paint the hyoo-mon fee-male blue and shave her head and put glasses on her and write "if I were an Analrapist, she wouldn't even be pregnant!" This is important because nerd poo poo is good for babby development; it's like folic acid or something.

- Get a bunch of Gypsies to stand around your womyn and act like they're snatching the baby out of her and write "PRE-ORDER NOW!!!" Because Gypsies are dirty and bbabby-thieving. Everyone knows that.

- Bury yourself in seagull carcasses and have your mouth open and all kinds of crayfish coming out of your mouth and also Photoshop some dollar signs over your eyes because YOUR PENIS IS MONEY CHAMP.

- Do a before and after Weight Watchers-style ad. But also maybe dress the bbbaby as a hamburger or something because lol fatties eat burgers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Don't be such a loving whiner. Congratulations on your kid. I hope it is better at gauging appropriateness than you are.

I love these and you and I apologize.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

TheEffect posted:

We've definitely already called our closest friends and family and let them know. This would be just for the "facebook" friends really. This is mostly for her; she likes this kind of stuff what can I say.

I love these and you and I apologize.

It's cool. I love you, too. :downs:

P.S. The first one is something my friends actually did. It was cute, if a little twee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Nobody has to lick you.
i do

• Locked thread