Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
A relative in Tennessee has Comcast Internet and a very old, very crappy router that needs to be replaced. The internet plan might also need to be addressed, I have no idea. I visit this relative 1-2 times a year but other relatives visit her more frequently. They have complained to me and my partner about how hosed up the internet is at my relative's home.

Apparently the router only allows a certain (small) number of people to be connected to it at a time and others get kicked off. Also the internet is very slow. They looked at the router and it has the year 2004 printed on it so it might be crazy old. I've talked to my relative and she wants to fix the problem because she loves having the younger relatives over but she does not understand technology and the internet and to be honest neither do I.

Is the problem the router? Do we just contact Comcast and get a new/better router with unlimited connections? Or would they give us something super expensive that we don't need and should we just buy our own router?

If so, what router should we buy? This is a very large, very close family and as many as 10+ people would be wanting to access the WiFi at any time during the week.

Personally, both I and my relative are leaning towards letting Comcast provide the router and hook it up and make it work so we don't have to deal with it but my partner worries about my relative being scammed or taken advantage of.

What should I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepBlue
Jul 7, 2004

SHMEH!!!
I am going to assume you mean a modem/router, since you said Comcast and this is the only device servicing your relative's home.

I would get a hold of Comcast and have them replace the modem/router, only if they are renting it. That is the one nice thing about renting a device, you can ask for an upgraded one if you are willing to disconnect it and take it to the Comcast store.

If they had bought it outright, I would suggest investing in one of these devices:

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SBG6400-DOCSIS-Router/dp/B00WJOV23O/

Replace it, and call Comcast technical support and tell them some info from the modem/router. Done.

This process works similarly with DSL modem/routers, but you may need to record login information from the ISP to connect to their network.

DeepBlue fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 5, 2016

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Yes, as a first step send them to Comcast for a replacement router so they get on the modern equipment. It will be better able to deliver full Comcast speeds, and might have better wireless hardware.

There is not a configured "max devices/connections" limit, so Comcast won't likely troubleshoot it as such specifically. But 10+ people at once is going to tax the wi-fi, so they might also want to add a second access point, and Comcast won't set that up for them.

Second step should be to ensure they have one of Comcast's better packages for bandwidth, and that they can confirm it's delivering by having 1 person run a speed test while the others avoid heavy use.

Third step would be buy a 2nd wireless AP, and pay someone to come set it up so that hopefully not everyone is using the same AP at once. Stick with highly rated models/brands, and expect to spend about $75-100 on the gear.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

Ok, as non-technical as possible:

First, upgrade their modem. If they've got a router from 2004, they're probably still DOCSIS 1. That's slow. Very slow. Charter AND Comcast will often upgrade their modem for free, especially if it's that old that it's actually making their life difficult by supporting it (see also: Moxi DVR).
Second: Do any of those people all watch YouTube, Netflix, or play immersive graphical games? If not, they won't need a lot of bandwidth quickly, so a slower router will be fine. If they're avid gamers or streaming media whores, they'll need a better router.

I'm using this unit, which isn't the fastest, or the best, but I got it for $49.99 during a NewEgg promotion. I have a mix of 802.11b/g/n and 802.11ac clients, and it doesn't even care that I have 20 things attached at a time. I have watched several HD streams at once, and it doesn't even notice- it just works.

Virtually any 802.11n will probably work for their needs, but if they also have 10+ year old equipment, the wireless won't be great since it still has to handle ancient wireless protocols. The way these systems work generally mean that you need more memory and CPU ability than anything else. NAT isn't very difficult, or have a heck of a lot of overhead. The only reason theirs is failing is, well, because it's failing, and probably has inadequate abilities to handle them.

My advice is to signup for NewEgg email promotions, and check what they offer every week, click through to the device, and read the reviews. Always read the reviews!

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 5, 2016

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jenner posted:

What should I do?
What you should have done is ask the proper IT nerds, instead of the gadget geeks.

• Locked thread