Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, this probably seems like a ridiculous post with it being Election Day. Buuuuuuut, I meannnn, it's not a BAD idea. I've been tasked with spending $2,000 on at least a year's worth of food. I've found a couple of places online (http://www.wisefoodstorage.com/), but surely there's a better option for mass ordering food that has a long shelf life.

I know there's knowledgeable people on here about this stuff.

Keep the insults to a minimum. This is for my dad and he's retiring in a month and doesn't want to worry about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

how strong is your dad's jaw? after opening any container of freeze dried foods always have a backup airless container because ambient air will make the food a chewy mess within several days.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

89 posted:

This is for my dad and he's retiring in a month and doesn't want to worry about anything.

I feel like if you're stocking up on food for a potential doomsday, you are in fact very worried about at least a couple things.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

http://www.costco.com/.product.100155520.html

Just grab like 8 of these and spend the remaining $400-500 on booze or fuel canisters to boil water.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Get at least some of it in canned goods. If you actually had to use this stuff you do not want every meal being boiled freeze dry.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
You can do it pretty easily and cheaply with bulk food. IIRC 100lbs of rice and 50-75lbs each of flour and beans will provide for one person for a year, and then you can add onto that a container of oatmeal for each month (as I recall rolled oats last the longest), canned meats/fruit/vegetables and so on. The advantage of this is that you can buy stuff that you actually eat (so you don't end up with 5lbs of hated lentils from every premade kit) and can cycle stuff out over time so that everything is fresh.

There are plenty of survivalist/prepper and homesteading sites out there with more detailed information and storage info if you decide to go that route. IIRC the preferred survivalist storage method for grains is seal it in Mylar bags with a oxygen absorber packet and then store those in 5 gallon buckets.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
Go to your local Mormon Church and ask. They let you buy food etc. at very low prices, and can it for you - even if you are an atheist/Satanist/weirdo.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
I suggest taking an outdoor survival/foraging course together instead. Even if the world doesn't end you get to enjoy the time with each other and learn a new skill, and perhaps even gain a new hobby.

Staying active and mentally engaged is a great way to maintain good health after retiring, and if you can sell it to him by exploiting his paranoia then so be it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ScratchAndSniff posted:

I suggest taking an outdoor survival/foraging course together instead. Even if the world doesn't end you get to enjoy the time with each other and learn a new skill, and perhaps even gain a new hobby.

Staying active and mentally engaged is a great way to maintain good health after retiring, and if you can sell it to him by exploiting his paranoia then so be it.

Nuclear holocaust will prevent this from being a useful skill DUH

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Buy guns and just take the food when you get hungry.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

MF_James posted:

Nuclear holocaust will prevent this from being a useful skill DUH

Also the relative difficulty of obtaining 2000 calories/day of food solely through forage.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

89 posted:

So, this probably seems like a ridiculous post with it being Election Day. Buuuuuuut, I meannnn, it's not a BAD idea. I've been tasked with spending $2,000 on at least a year's worth of food. I've found a couple of places online (http://www.wisefoodstorage.com/), but surely there's a better option for mass ordering food that has a long shelf life.

I know there's knowledgeable people on here about this stuff.

Keep the insults to a minimum. This is for my dad and he's retiring in a month and doesn't want to worry about anything.

agreed

your dad is retired

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

C.M. Kruger posted:

Also the relative difficulty of obtaining 2000 calories/day of food solely through forage.

You only need to hunt and kill one cow to get like three dozen burgers. That's like... two weeks of burgers right there.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

(so you don't end up with 5lbs of hated lentils from every premade kit)

Not a prepper but what? Lentils are great. I go through about half a pound of lentils every month.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Even if you eat 5 cans a day every day, that's only $1 per can.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Any disaster that is so bad that you would need to feed yourself with no assistance for longer than 3-5 days will involve enough civil unrest that somebody will take all your fancy food and possibly hurt you in the process so it's literally not worth putting that much effort into it.

edit: "no assistance" I mean no stores, no relief, nothing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 13, 2016

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Any disaster that is so bad that you would need to feed yourself with no assistance for longer than 3-5 days will involve enough civil unrest that somebody will take all your fancy food and possibly hurt you in the process so it's literally not worth putting that much effort into it.

Secret underground bunker motherfucker.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ohnonotme posted:

Go to your local Mormon Church and ask. They let you buy food etc. at very low prices, and can it for you - even if you are an atheist/Satanist/weirdo.

This. Yon Mormons got yer poo poo figured.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
You can stock your pantry in such a way that you are both thrifty and prepping for the apocalypse. There are many pantry rotation guides on the internet that should get you started. I think a 1 year rotation is very easy to do, and it has a bonus effect of allowing you to really deal shop for goods on sale. Augment it with an excessive amount of rice and beans, plus potable water (which is what most people will run out of) and your $2k will go a long way.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I recommend a series of conveyor belts that slowly move over a 12 month period for best results. As long as you keep rotating you're golden, and as mentioned the Mormon church has this figured out.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

This happens regularly during blizzards and hurricanes. Do you want to be waiting in line for a box of MREs and water bottles or do you want to be sitting at home reading a book and eating real food?

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

If he's planning for that scenario, he's presumably already armed.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I have researched this before for fun or school or something, point is I actually know this.

First and foremost I will suggest whichever option you or your dad chooses it would be best that you get a one or two day pack of these meals. Tasting the survival food can turn off even the most stringent doomsayers.

Also as said before, your dad will need a place to store this poo poo that doesn't get much moisture

To answer your question, there really is not a better option for a years worth of food that is ordered in bulk and is shelf stable. There are a handful of companies that sell this type of food. Because of the deluge of :tinfoil: websites out there, finding proper reviews of this stuff is hard. I'll do what I can for you.

You have options

Freeze-dried foods

you can find a whole selection on costco
http://www.costco.com/all-emergency-food.html

With the freeze-dried foods you can get a year of them for one person for about $1500

These packs have your basic stuff, grains, fruit, vegetables and protein.

These are not ready meals in most cases, but are instead ingredients to create meals.

There are some freeze dried meals but I commonly see the ingredients.

If your father is not interested in making a meal, he may need to look into the ready made meal options

Ready Made Meals

A lot of these, like the wise food company you mentioned will still be freeze dried but put together for you. The Wise Food people claim that their food has a 25 year lifespan. A lot of them seem to me in zippable bags for cooking outdoors as well.

These packs can be found in a year selection for about 1500 for the basic packs

Another option to look at are MREs. MREs were my first foray into survivalist type food. They were given out by the national guard when hurricane ivan destroyed the town.
MREs which stand for Meals Ready to Eat and were designed for soldiers and disaster victims to eat in times of emergency. They are high calorie meals which can be eaten hot or cold.

These are more pricey because they are being sold on the secondary market. They are not manufactured for consumer but instead government use so a year pack of them may stretch to over $3000.

The advantage of the MREs is that usually they have a handy heating pack for when you cannot boil your water. They also usually have a snack of some sort and various toiletries.

That is roughly it, there are more survival things to find but as I said dipping your toe in that world takes you to sites I am not comfortable visiting.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Freeze dried/dried foods tend to be lacking in fats. If you're going that route you should pick up some shelf-stable fats such as coconut milk or palm oil and rotate them out regularly.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
when i am stuck in a doomsday i take my cue from mother nature and digest my own self, which gives me enough high-fat high-protein food to last for many years. your dad should focus on becoming incredibly fat like me and also eating packets of various dried spices every day to give his meat a powerful flavour

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Does your dad have neighbors? Keeping on friendly terms with people nearby is probably the cheapest way to survive a disaster. I'm not saying he should rely on begging, just that neighbors will probably have a variety of survival skills/food sources/etc to supplement his own. This is helpful even if the world doesn't end.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
encourage him to start surreptitiously fattening up the neighbours and buy a solar-powered meat saw

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A mixture of brown rice, dried beans and lentils is cheap as gently caress in bulk, drat-near nutritionally complete, and keeps really well. Plus salt and cooking oil and a rainwater tank and you've got everything you need to live. Some bulk spices and it'll even be edible.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Lone Badger posted:

A mixture of brown rice, dried beans and lentils is cheap as gently caress in bulk, drat-near nutritionally complete, and keeps really well. Plus salt and cooking oil and a rainwater tank and you've got everything you need to live. Some bulk spices and it'll even be edible.

Brown rice has a shelf life of 4-6 months as it has oils that will go rancid. Other types of rice will keep just short of forever.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
I used to be Mormon so I grew up with this poo poo.

They no longer sell canned food anymore. But good news is you can buy this from the store.

So first a few things you need.

Water - I've seen people with giant barrels of water. I've also stored lots of bottled water. To me this is the best options. Especially if you have food you need to cook.

Food

Freeze Dried - Now if you have a good supply of water I would go with freeze dried food. It's compact and tastes pretty good for a frozen meal. They can be somewhat expensive but not terrible. They will last until the 3rd Apocalypse.

Canned - No water required plus they can have water/juice in them. You also get a huge variety of food. Canned food can last a long time (10+ years). However they take up a lot of space and you should rotate through them somewhat regularly.

MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) - I think these are the best option as far as nutrition goes. They contain full meals and have a high calorie count. They also taste pretty good. They too will last forever since they're sealed. However these pricks can cost a lot since they're sold second hand.

Seal Your Own - Get some rice (white brown will go rancid), beans, lentils, anything that is dried in the store. Put them in an airtight container and keep them in a cool dry place and they will last for years. Not forever since you can get a pure airtight seal at home. Cheap and easy but you're going to need water and something to cook with.

Cooking Gear - Get a cheap rear end camp stove and some fuel tanks. Those will be enough to cook food, boil water, etc for a long time.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Get a bb gun and practice shooting birds. Bbs are cheap and birds are plentiful.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Wise Food Storage has commercials running daily on the radio which end with "Don't waste your next emergency on an empty stomach" which is completely nonsensical and should make you realize that this stuff is for people who fantasize about survival scenarios.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
The Mormons still sell food - https://providentliving.lds.org/self-reliance/home-storage-centers?lang=eng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Carb Bread
Sep 6, 2007

If anyone is seriously considering living off rice, beans and random cans of meat and vegetables for a year, i'd also suggest throwing in a big bottle of multivitamins. There's no point in surviving the new world order only to die of scurvy.

• Locked thread