Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

[insert clever comment here]
Quick question goons, in episode 5, series 1 of Mr Robot, there is a very quick shot of the software he uses to match Fernando's (the drug dealer) social media activity to his crimes. Here it is:

What software is this please?

Also what OS is this? it looks like a linux based system but I don't recognise it.

Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
hey genericuser,

how many drugs are you on right now?

it's a tv show buddy.

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

I'm not on drugs. All the hacks are supposed to be plausible. I work with data for a living and wanted to know what tool he uses. It looks like some kind of data mining thing but I'm not sure.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Sorry boss, that software doesn't exist, it's just a silly tv approximation/shortcut. The closest real life approximation would probably be Palantir, but good luck getting your hands on that without being Gov/Mil.

If you're looking for for actual software/hacks from the show, The Verge did weekly hack reports. If you're trying to work something out from someone's twitter data you're gonna need the Twitter API and your programming language of choice.

Try drugs. They're fun.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
genericuser how much programming have you done, and what kind of tech background do you come from? I'm curious if this thread is born out of a desire to discover the methods used or an ignorance to think programs can hack the gibson. Do you have a target, and are you trying to use this software to solve a crime like Batman? If you had this software would you immediately use it without first figuring out how it worked or what it was actually doing in an attempt at vigilante hacker justice?

Because if not, and you're a techie who wants a discussion on how this software is coded, you should probably be well aware of how ridiculously implausible it is for this program to come together with positive results. Most criminals don't twitter while committing crimes, and if they do, the police can catch on real quick without sophisticated software. Coding a crawler for police blotters is reasonable, but then turning the results into search arguments for twitter and pairing down valuable results is nuts.

So I guess the question is, what are you trying to do here?

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

Looks like a Linux based OS.

The closest publicly available software to that would probably be Maltego.

They have an open source and paid version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltego
https://www.paterva.com/web7/

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it's some kind of an ide. "refactor run debug profile" at the top menu, typedefs and function stubs in the text editor portion of the program.

i assume it's just a bunch of crap on screen designed to look like you are hacking in the matrix.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The show has shown multiple times that the protagonist uses Kali Linux. As for the desktop environment, I'd say it looks like a riced up version of XFCE. The rest looks like generic poo poo to make the desktop look busy from a distance.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Heh, that's (Windows) Visual Studio with the colors inverted. Check out the red X/close button:

The code displayed is generic "look busy/interesting" functions. There's no real social media mining software depicted (in this screenshot).

While there are realistic hacking scenes featuring Kali Linux and its tools, I'd wager this entire screen is a mockup. It looks like a bunch of pieces of different GUIs composited together.

edit: Just noticed the line numbers don't line up with the code, so the code is a separate composition layer. Sometimes I think that the "cool looking hacking" compositing must take longer than getting the real thing. Pasting the same code into a vim window on a Kali desktop would be quicker and more realistic. I guess VFX companies have to make their money.

Spectracide fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 12, 2016

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I remember watching Season 1 or Mr. Robot and seeing "@kali" as the hostname while Elliot is typing. I thought it was a bit overtly "hackerish" to have him using that. It's Ubuntu with some pentesting stuff installed by default, isn't it? Nothing that couldn't be accomplished with a regular OS install without drawing unneeded attention to oneself by using a l33t distro. Mind you, I can't remember if it was a laptop he was on at the time or not. It would make more sense to have Kali on a desktop, where you're less likely to be observed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

apropos man posted:

I remember watching Season 1 or Mr. Robot and seeing "@kali" as the hostname while Elliot is typing. I thought it was a bit overtly "hackerish" to have him using that. It's Ubuntu with some pentesting stuff installed by default, isn't it? Nothing that couldn't be accomplished with a regular OS install without drawing unneeded attention to oneself by using a l33t distro. Mind you, I can't remember if it was a laptop he was on at the time or not. It would make more sense to have Kali on a desktop, where you're less likely to be observed.

Both Kali and Ubuntu are derived from Debian, so no it's not "Ubuntu with some pentesting stuff."

Also I'm going to assume that Elliot was smart enough to completely separate his hacking poo poo from his personal poo poo so he didn't have Kali "installed" per say but used some kind of live cd to get a fresh slate every time and Kali has all the apps he'd ever use pre-installed so it makes sense for him to just use that instead.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Fair enough. It struck me as the cool thing to show the viewers, which aroused scepticism.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Don't they need to composite screen images so they can actually be seen? I know its nothing like the old crt aliasing, but considering the vast majority of screens out there are lovely tn ones (plus polarization on old style lcd for like watches and clocks and poo poo) I'd imagine there are alot of screens that are are just too off center or not bright enough.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The methods and reasons behind generating the UIs for Mr Robot are covered quite well here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bBrj6QBPW0

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

Cool. Thanks for the comments that are helpful.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

What about the ones that aren't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I don't think my comments were helpful but I think I still deserve a thanks for writing words in this thread :mad:

• Locked thread