Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you're a typical goon in D&D, you're probably pretty ticked off at the Democratic party. You might be wondering how you can voice your displeasure. Maybe you're thinking of organizing a protest outside one of their next meetings.

Think bigger.

After several years working deep cover within the Democratic party, I've discovered they have a huge weakness in their structure, one that's ripe for abuse, and start to finish it'll take around the same amount of time as Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden 2 has already taken.

We're going to need lots of help from people with a lot of different backgrounds. Are you good at finding stuff on websites? We need you. Can someone be in charge of the Wiki?

Here's the basic plan:

Step 1: Goons all over the US will infiltrate meetings at the lowest level of the Democratic party.
Step 2: Attend meetings consistently, earning the trust of the membership.
Step 3: Become elected to County and State committees.
Step 4: Systematically elect State Chairs/Vice Chairs from within our ranks
Step 5: Elect Lowtax as the next DNC Chair. (We can vote on this if someone has a funnier idea!)

Now, it's going to take a lot of work because every state is different. California has all sorts of weird central committees, Illinois is apparently big on the concept of villages.

But I can tell you how it works in Arizona, and I assume it's going to follow a similar pattern elsewhere.

Step 1: Attend Legislative District meetings. There's 30 in Arizona, and they all meet on a different day each month.
Step 2: Show up to the meetings, get in touch with local issues, meet a bunch of old people who are mad about bus routes and stuff.
Step 3: Become elected as a Precinct Committeeman. In Arizona, even if you're a woman, you can only be a Committeeman. We're not PC. They hold elections every two years (that's why there's a long time-frame on this), but you can be appointed to fill vacancies. This automatically puts you on the County Committee, and for every 3 PC's in an LD, they can send one person to the State Committee. Try to be one of them!
Step 4: Every state has two chairs, these are the people that vote for the Chairperson of the national convention. This is the hard part, but if enough people get on board, we can do it!
Step 5: Self explanatory.

Risks:
This requires a lot of work and coordination from goons all over the country. If we don't get enough participation there's a huge risk that you'll spend a ton of time crawling up the power structure of the Democratic party, and at the end of it, all you'll have to show for yourself is an increased knowledge of internal party workings and name/face recognition with political figures from your state. Bummer.

Ok, what's this really about?

I've been getting a lot of PMs and questions from people from several states asking me how to get more involved with the party and try and push things more to the left. I can really only help with Arizona stuff, but from what I can tell, it's not too unusual.

There's only a few things you need to do in order to move up the ranks. Have good attendance and don't be a complete weirdo. That second part isn't even a strictly enforced rule.
If those meetings and caucuses I mentioned sound sorta like a big pain in the rear end, it's because they are, attendance is pretty bad. And that's good for anyone who can find the time in their life to show up to a dumb meeting and play angry birds while half listening to boring meeting reports.
IF you can make it through, it's not too hard to pull the attendance records and argue that even if you're not an amazing representative, you're a representative that'll show up.

Are we going to take over the DNC? No. Don't be silly. That's not the real goal here.
The real goal is to send some brave goons into the meat grinder, and when they come out they'll have fairly intimate knowledge of how the party actually works and why they do the stupid poo poo that they keep on loving doing. That institutional knowledge will be a benefit to all of us.

I wasn't joking about needing help with research or a wiki. There are detailed guides for Republicans on how to do this in every state, we really ought to have one for Democrats.

Let me know if you're interested in being a part of this. We could really change the world!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
GlyphGryph has an awesome website going now:

http://www.glyphgryph.com/

More State details: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JQYyjVzpW7ur_g1u17NdewQzVzh2EaPVxpCLD2Il4hw/edit?usp=sharing

Reserved for State by State details:

Arizona:
Depending on County, find LD or County meeting. http://www.azdem.org/calendar
Be appointed as PC (during election years, collect 10 signatures for nomination and win by running unopposed). http://recorder.maricopa.gov/elections/precinctcommitteemen.aspx
Run for State Committee

California:
http://www.cadem.org/our-party/our-county-committees

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 18, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
:toot:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Not really sure what the deal is with this, but I'm already a regular attendee at the Arapahoe County Democratic Party's meetings.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jurgan posted:

Not really sure what the deal is with this, but I'm already a regular attendee at the Arapahoe County Democratic Party's meetings.

What's the process in Colorado, especially to get voting rights to determine State leadership?

In AZ, you've got to collect signatures to run for Precinct Committeeman which puts you in the County Committee automatically.

Is there something similar in Colorado?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Remember that Goon projects backfire 100% of the time.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

steinrokkan posted:

Was Donald Trump a Reddit/4chan project that went horribly wrong or horribly right then?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

which state democratic party do you feel is MOST vulnerable to hostile takeover by revolutionary leftists such as ourselves?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I'd start getting involved with the party stuff here, but I live in central florida and it just kinda seems like I'd be pissing in the wind.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Schizotek posted:

I'd start getting involved with the party stuff here, but I live in central florida and it just kinda seems like I'd be pissing in the wind.

I don't really know the politics of Florida too much, except that the panhandle is basically the South, and the rest is just weird.

In any case, I don't think there's any perfect predictor to how organized local groups are. I live in a solid blue area and sometimes fewer than five people show up.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't really know the politics of Florida too much, except that the panhandle is basically the South, and the rest is just weird.

In any case, I don't think there's any perfect predictor to how organized local groups are. I live in a solid blue area and sometimes fewer than five people show up.

Well statistically this is the swing region of THE swing state. But we're also the incompetent subsection of Florida Democrats. Which puts at about par with rural central Texas in terms of uselessness.
<- what the hell is that from?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Schizotek posted:

<- what the hell is that from?

:gizz:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

steinrokkan posted:

That pizza thing with Biden worked perfectly :colbert:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Do I have to make sure that I haven't made racist rants on social media to take part in this Goon Project?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

net work error posted:

Do I have to make sure that I haven't made racist rants on social media to take part in this Goon Project?

It depends. Were you reverse racist against white people? That could be a career killer.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

You should just apply to work in the Trump administration.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

My local state house rep volunteers at my local Fire Department. So do I.

He worked his way up through the chain, first as City Councilman, then as House Rep after our old Rep got elected State Senator. I am going to ask him how best for me to get involved in local politics.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Any info about how to do this in NYC?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Would love to find out more about what the deal is in Denver. The first thing I saw was Colorado Democrats site seemed pretty much dead. I emailed their info@ a few days ago and didn't hear anything - http://www.coloradodems.org/counties/denver-county

Although I just found a specifically Denver Democrats site that seems more active - https://denverdemocrats.org/
Anyone know where a good place to get started is?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Zybourne Caucus.

EDIT: to actually contribute, the number for the Cook County Dems is 312-263-0575

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 17, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
For California, this page lists out all the sites for the county level committees, which are the places that seem to handle all the local level stuff:

http://www.cadem.org/our-party/our-county-committees

I went to a meeting yesterday, and it seems like getting involved in clubs is the way to go beyond showing up at their monthly meetings.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm trying to fill out a spreadsheet with links to county level website or clubs/caucuses for different states

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JQYyjVzpW7ur_g1u17NdewQzVzh2EaPVxpCLD2Il4hw/edit?usp=sharing

There's no standardization whatsoever and many of the websites are garbage so it's not always clear if the info even exists or if it's just obfuscated

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lemming posted:

I'm trying to fill out a spreadsheet with links to county level website or clubs/caucuses for different states

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JQYyjVzpW7ur_g1u17NdewQzVzh2EaPVxpCLD2Il4hw/edit?usp=sharing

There's no standardization whatsoever and many of the websites are garbage so it's not always clear if the info even exists or if it's just obfuscated

This is good stuff!

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Found my local committee, and they next meet Jan 11th.

Gonna make Western PA Goon Again.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is good stuff!

obligatory text so this isn't am emptyquote

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

cal goons, caldem assembly districts will be electing delegates for 2017-18 in january and the application deadline is early december. godspeed.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Democrats really need to start giving a poo poo about the local races. They're starting to look like a drat third party with all their focus on the prominent places.

Anyway https://swingleft.org

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

cal goons, caldem assembly districts will be electing delegates for 2017-18 in january and the application deadline is early december. godspeed.

My buddy won one of these delegate spots in LA, hell yeah

• Locked thread