Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tagmedia7
Nov 2, 2011
Hello everyone!

I recently created a sort of Frankenstein's monster laptop where I took an i5-equipped Inspiron N1440 motherboard (w/discrete AMD and integrated Intel GPU) and stuffed that into a Vostro 3450 shell, and I've been looking into some other potential unsanctioned upgrades for this little guy. Try as I might, though, I haven't been able to find any concrete stories online of anyone doing anything similar before.

What I'm hoping to find is someone familiar with this model, and whether or not they know if there are any compatible higher-resolution displays (default is 1366x768) that I could swap in? I once did a similar thing where I took a 1920x1200 display from a Latitude D830 and successfully transplanted it into a Latitude E6500.

The second thing I am interested in finding out is if anyone knows whether or not the quad core i7s are compatible with the motherboard? Potential thermal issues aside, I know the board itself can handle it, but it's a question at this point whether Dell has locked support for quad cores at a BIOS level.

Can anyone offer any insight into what I'm looking to do? Are there any custom BIOS I could flash to enable further CPU support?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Lol can I get a picture of this sweet thing

One cooling "tip" that applies to wonky poo poo sometimes is if at any place your heatpipes are touching via "thermal foam" or any kind of thermal pad thats thick, get rid of that and fill that space with copper shims instead. You can get copper shims for like $6 on Amazon (for a whole bag of them). It works a lot better and is kind of a One Trick They Dont Want You To Know About sort of thing.

tagmedia7
Nov 2, 2011
Quite familiar with this trick. I've used it to repair the overheating issues found in the old HP DV6000 series back in the day..thanks for the recommendation, though! :D

Back to the question at hand, though: can anyone help shed some light on the info I'm after?

• Locked thread