Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I decided I need less stress in my gaming time and there's a sweet sale on old JRPGs on PSN right now. I always meant to play this series and now I'm gonna do it.

I'm starting with Suikoden 2 because 1 just didn't grab me and everyone says 2 is better anyway. I'm an hour in and I'm pretty sure one of my party members just performed a sexual favor to get us past a guard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Luca Blight needed a sacrifice to achieve his ambitions...

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
that psn sale has a ton of great games

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Suikoden 2 is amazeballs. I really like the battle system in it which I barely remember but I think it was good.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

rediscover posted:

Suikoden 2 is amazeballs. I really like the battle system in it which I barely remember but I think it was good.

I really have to read the manual because they don't explain poo poo to you and idk what's happening sometimes

elf help book posted:

that psn sale has a ton of great games

I got suikoden 2, parasite eve, vagrant story and legend of mana for under $10

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
So, you like SUIKODEN?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Soo wee koh den

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have this old coworker friend who was a late bloomer when it came to games. He only had a nes and bought used games. Somehow I knew he was a sleeping jrpg fiend, so one day when we were in the used games store I convinced him to buy Suikoden and a PlayStation. He went on to become one of the biggest weebs I have ever encountered, a life changing transformation.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
suikoden ii is literally in my top 5 best video games ever made. a game so good that what few glitches it has are exclusively beneficial and actually made it even better, like characters all taking their turns at the same time.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I liked 2 quite a lot, i still need to play 3 + 5. or is 4 ... well, either 4 or 5 whichever one is the better one.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

if you beat suikoden1 you get a save carryover bonus in S2 and you can recruit the hero of the first game into your army (along with some swag gear)

it's so loving good

there is an actual sephiroth just hanging out in a cave and he only joins you if you recruit like every character in the game

you get a handful of stones that let you communicate with one mythical creature apiece, and you have to choose two of four options; a Unicorn, a Griffin, or two Giant Squids. if you recruit both squids you don't get the True ending (missing a star) but in exchange the squids have a loving baby squid and then you can have all 3 in your party

if you shake a specific tree at the beginning of the game, with no prompting or indication, a squirrel in a cape falls out of the tree and joins you.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

if the squirrel is in your party when traveling on the world map, you have a small chance in various places to encounter another caped squirrel of a different color.

if you collect all five squirrels, they have a unite attack.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

the castle has a built-in theater with a stage and if you go out and find talented musicians and a singer they will all go to your castle theater and do live shows for you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Excels posted:

if you beat suikoden1 you get a save carryover bonus in S2 and you can recruit the hero of the first game into your army (along with some swag gear)

it's so loving good

there is an actual sephiroth just hanging out in a cave and he only joins you if you recruit like every character in the game

you get a handful of stones that let you communicate with one mythical creature apiece, and you have to choose two of four options; a Unicorn, a Griffin, or two Giant Squids. if you recruit both squids you don't get the True ending (missing a star) but in exchange the squids have a loving baby squid and then you can have all 3 in your party

if you shake a specific tree at the beginning of the game, with no prompting or indication, a squirrel in a cape falls out of the tree and joins you.

Excels posted:

if the squirrel is in your party when traveling on the world map, you have a small chance in various places to encounter another caped squirrel of a different color.

Holy gently caress I never knew about thjs lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got like 8 hours in to Suikoden 1 and stopped but I really liked the recruiting system and growing your castle bigger and bigger. It's a cool game though and I've got Suikoden II on my vita when I've got the feeling some day.

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I really have to read the manual because they don't explain poo poo to you and idk what's happening sometimes

I got suikoden 2, parasite eve, vagrant story and legend of mana for under $10

I got parasite Eve for a buck in a sale like this and was blown away by how unique and cool it is. I love it a lot, 2 is kinda cool too but it's more like a RE clone than 1's weird turn+positional based gameplay.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Excels posted:

lol

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
suikoden II is one of the best games ever made

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Proud Rat Mom posted:

suikoden II is one of the best games ever made

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i remember playing suikoden and thinking, "this is a good game" and then playing 2 and being blown away

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The Healing Church Company was soundly defeated in our first battle. I saved the girl from Luca and Flik blew up the fort...

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Fatigued and our fort in ruins we head for Muse City, ahead of Luca Blights advancing Highland Army

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Parasite Eve is cool.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

He's insane.
He's a wolf raised on the smell of fire and the taste of blood...
He can't be trusted.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Parasite Eve is cool.

It looks fuckin horrendous in HD

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Suikoden II was one of the best gaming experiences i've had in a long time

i just bought suikoden 1 and 3 on the strength of 2 in the last couple psn sales.
deffinately gonna play 1 but 3 kinda looks like rear end, graphically, i mean. idk if i can get over how bad it looks

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
3 is cool

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

on second though 3 looks a little bit like a muddier tales of symphonia which i played through the entirety of on the gamecube

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im gonna play 2 soon

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]

Excels posted:

this owns

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

im so fuckin mad that konami canceled a suikoden game whn the ceo went nuts nd turned them into a pachinko company. ths series is so fuckin good

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I got sucked back into bloodborne for the 300th time so I'll be getting back to this soon

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I played a little bit of Suikoden 1 and 2 and I have the second one on my Vita, I should play it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Pablo Gigante posted:

I played a little bit of Suikoden 1 and 2 and I have the second one on my Vita, I should play it

Yes you should. It's a real good rpg game

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Every jrpg should have an auto option in battles

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
suikoden is fantastic, it's a great game. same goes for 2, my only regret is having bought it from my friend for ten bucks instead of buying it three years earlier on clearance sale for 20

im such a piece of poo poo though, my dream magnum opus game is basically a suikoden ripoff

Excels posted:

poo poo i could never get that fifth one :(

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Fungah! posted:

im so fuckin mad that konami canceled a suikoden game whn the ceo went nuts nd turned them into a pachinko company. ths series is so fuckin good

Sadly I'm not that sad about it after how bad the DS Suikoden was.

The series was doomed when the director quit partway through development of 3. He had some crazy ten game plan for the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free
1>2

Rock Rockland

• Locked thread