Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Did Pat McCrory lose yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

octobernight posted:

Does it matter though? Cooper could completely reverse NC's fortunes and once the state is running a huge suplus, the GOP will sweep all the branches again because voters have a memory of a goldfish. MN Democrats basically got the state running in the green with tax hikes and improvements to public life and this year, they lost control of both the house and the senate. Cooper could make NC the best running state in the south, only to have everything dismantled within an election.

the conditions necessary for dems to take back the legislature are such that the ncgop would be a dying entity anyway

Nonsense posted:

no, he'll always be a winner where it counts most: in our hearts

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

octobernight posted:

Does it matter though? Cooper could completely reverse NC's fortunes and once the state is running a huge suplus, the GOP will sweep all the branches again because voters have a memory of a goldfish. MN Democrats basically got the state running in the green with tax hikes and improvements to public life and this year, they lost control of both the house and the senate. Cooper could make NC the best running state in the south, only to have everything dismantled within an election.

Democrats got skunked really hard in the rustbelt this year. How much of that was simply a failure at the top-ticket?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Bodyholes posted:

Democrats got skunked really hard in the rustbelt this year. How much of that was simply a failure at the top-ticket?

A lot. Ticket splitting is increasingly rare. The top of the ticket drags the downticket up and down.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yeah honestly the next time dems get a Bill Clinton (southern, old-school Christian, laser beam economics), you'll see the tide shift back nationwide, but that's not permanent. Nothing ever is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nonsense posted:

He's being considered for a position in Trump's administration IIRC, so no he hasn't.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah honestly the next time dems get a Bill Clinton (southern, old-school Christian, laser beam economics), you'll see the tide shift back nationwide, but that's not permanent. Nothing ever is.

yeah, bring back laser beam economics, whatever the gently caress that is

better than trumped-up trickle-down, surely

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You can't piece together a candidate from appeals to specific demographics or regions, you just need a good candidate

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
You guys have never heard of "focus on the economy like a laser beam"? I'm not that old, Jeezus.

Anyway, Trump's Supreme Court will cancel North Carolina's 2017 "Your last election was invalid" election, and the districts will probably never be redrawn now.

https://twitter.com/NCDemParty/status/818930818630483969?conversation_id=818930818630483969

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Anyway, Trump's Supreme Court will cancel North Carolina's 2017 "Your last election was invalid" election, and the districts will probably never be redrawn now.

tbf the plan was to keep drawing blatantly unconstitutional districts and drag their feet in court while elections are held anyway

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

If Cooper pulls off any wins in NC despite the basically evil legislature, he'll totally run for president, right?

Also I just visited Cooper's wikipedia bage and discovered that his middle name is Asberry lol

Also I googled 'laser beam economics' and came up totally empty

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

You guys have never heard of "focus on the economy like a laser beam"? I'm not that old, Jeezus.

https://twitter.com/NCDemParty/status/818930818630483969?conversation_id=818930818630483969

Nobody should be the slightest bit surprised by this. Nothing short of a stroke by Kennedy causing him to actually change his views on Gerrymandering and other vote loving is going to stop the death march of voting rights in the US. If any of the liberal justices die or retire with Trump in office then the country is going to become a Christian version of Saudi Arabia pretty quickly.

showbiz_liz posted:

If Cooper pulls off any wins in NC despite the basically evil legislature, he'll totally run for president, right?

The Democratic party leadership is still full of center-right people and human garbage like Chuck Schumer. So unless someone actually pulls an upset like Bernie tried last year we're probably going to see the DNC run a piece of poo poo like Andrew Cuomo against Trump and then wonder why they got blown out*.

* aside from the fact that the GOP is going to be suppressing poor/minority voter rights nationwide for the next 2-4 years and there's pretty much nothing that can or will stop them from doing so.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its really funny that the supreme court is so political

edit: centrists are unable to understand their politics is poison to most people and also the center has shifted far right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I'm more and more convinced that any Dem wave will require promising to pack the supreme court.

• Locked thread