Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk when I became interesting in computer... when I wasd youngof courer. had these bbc computers at school... sokme games about a wizrard.. idk??? and then my dad bouhgt me an amaiga.. this was fanstastixc in somew ays.. just hosed around A LOT.. and sometimes all I had was this stupid learn amiga dos disck.,. talked about dos and the command line...

really learning that neglect is the soldier of fortune.

there was this dude who I met hrough the amiga group. wow now that I think about it m

my parents must have klooked up the amiga group christchurch nz and made me attend meetings.i onl;yt ahve ONE memory,, wow,,., and this dude called brian used to copy 880 amiga floppiesat $2 a disck

na dsome of those things must be been fune. and maybe 2 pf those 10 discs my parnts paid for each time didnt work...

and he REEKED.. loving reeked. and iut wasnt till Iw as older that I learned the smel of BO and it reminded me of brians house. WOW... old school piracy.. sitting in his outhouse den.. chargins 12 year olds $2 per disk... to copy .. wow w and my mum sat there watching me choose from his clear file folder of copied games..ahahahaha buying deluxe paint and games. monkey island 2 was like 12 disks so that was an expensive ask

and then in middleswchoo / intermediate I programmed poo poo in amos which was sort of andanved BASIC in which you could easily do graohics and I had no mentor and just learned what I picked up.... no wonder I never got good at pcs..

and I was A LOSERRRRRR

in primaryu school I used toi folow the teachetr around at lunch.. hardly eer did I have freidns

but in middldee school I pogrammed and learned SIN And COS and worked out howt o get numebrs from it from simple linerar outpits and somehow came acorss making a circle with no trigonomotry knowleged.e I

I COULD HAVE BEEN as amsrt as yoj guys but I wasted by habing no guiaDAUIBNE WHATRSOEWER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
please get intox and tghen spill your computer upbringing beans

pram
Jun 10, 2001
good on ya mate

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
enthusiastic and supportive reply

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Struth

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

fart

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
smug mr greenwater

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I remember my first computer experience. Don't rant to get into too many details but It involved
MIce
KEybiard
MOnitors

And combinations of all of the above.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

hopefully dis thread stays open until my next intox

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
my parents had a ti99/4a when I was born and it had the voice synth module and the robot voice freaked me out

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

pissed as in angry or pissed as in off your tits?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ok

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bloody spill ya beans

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I;m thinking about thos beans

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I played TIE Fighter and really sucked at it but kept playing because I liked Star wats

Before that,
Decorating a lovely Christmas tree by guessing the name for decoratjins
Sim farm also, and old old old school Oregon Trail, also computers had a big red BREAK key that the teachers warned us to never press ever cause it made computer break, I was like why is it in there then

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

obviously I played sim farm. dem orange crops. and you could buy an entire tractor for like 400 bucks!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I learned computers by loving about in dos and loving with autoexec.bat and config.sys which is why I'll never use a command line

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

indigi posted:

I played TIE Fighter and really sucked at it but kept playing because I liked Star wats

Before that,
Decorating a lovely Christmas tree by guessing the name for decoratjins
Sim farm also, and old old old school Oregon Trail, also computers had a big red BREAK key that the teachers warned us to never press ever cause it made computer break, I was like why is it in there then

tie fighter was cool & good

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
my school in the early 90s had a weird thing were you drew on a cathodic screen using a pointer, I think ? idk what that was

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
my dad had an st. hell yeah thats my old computer story

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

unpacked robinhood posted:

my school in the early 90s had a weird thing were you drew on a cathodic screen using a pointer, I think ? idk what that was
light pen

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I told you not to press RUN/STOP!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD27TXoZODY

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pram posted:

good on ya mate

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
LOGO

w/ the cartesian turtle

then seeing prnit outs of some effortful computer drawings of an f16 and a lambo that a teacher shared to inspire us

realizing i could do such a thing if i took the time and that i never wanted to take the time defined my half-assed experiences with computers all the years to come

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

syscall girl posted:

realizing i could do such a thing if i took the time and that i never wanted to take the time defined my half-assed experiences with computers all the years to come

if your going to quote from my autobiography at least give attribution christ

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

in high school we had IBM Eduquest computers and played flight simulator and nesticle on them.

the one teacher had a flight yoke thing u strapped the mouse to

we also played red alert

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

syscall girl posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

m8 have u updated your en thread

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

in high school we had IBM Eduquest computers and played flight simulator and nesticle on them.

the one teacher had a flight yoke thing u strapped the mouse to

we also played red alert

I hope you put the Nesticle shortcut right on the desktop.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
when I was a kid i knew if I put nesticle on the desktop my parents would flip their poo poo at the icon so I made my own icon that just said NES and pinned it to the taskbar

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I remember back when I was a babby I needed more RAM for my computer game. The shop charged an extra £40 on top of the price of the RAM to install it. The shop is still around. Bastards.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

m8 have u updated your en thread

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Rookoo posted:

I remember back when I was a babby I needed more RAM for my computer game. The shop charged an extra £40 on top of the price of the RAM to install it. The shop is still around. Bastards.

piss on their front door 🚪 mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

syscall girl posted:

LOGO

w/ the cartesian turtle

then seeing prnit outs of some effortful computer drawings of an f16 and a lambo that a teacher shared to inspire us

same except i was the only one in the class who had neither a computer nor a dad who knew what punch cards were

the whole thing was less about making turtles do their thing on these ancient IKON computers that said "ep" when you turned them on, and more about stepford dads jerking themselves off over their mad pen down skillz

• Locked thread