Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

This game was originally released on the NES in 1988. I was a wee lad at that time, but we had an NES. I remember toiling for days, months, probably years trying to beat this goddamn game. I am not sure if I ever beat it on the original NES, but I do remember Shadow Link.

The NES Classic Edition was released a week or two ago in the US. I bought it to relive the glory gaming-days of my childhood (and to introduce 'easier' games to my kids). The first game I played was Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. The game starts out relatively easy, but it becomes exponentially harder with every dungeon.

This was the bane of my childhood gaming days. I could beat the first couple dungeons in one go, but eventually I'd start dying too much and have the hardest time getting the hammer or the raft or whatever. On the NES Classic Edition, there's a way to save the current state of the game. So, if I know I'm about to enter a tough dungeon for face a tough opponent, I can save beforehand.

Even doing this, beating this game took me several days worth of playing. I have spent probably too much money on various video games throughout the years. Only a few are ever really memorable. The Zelda games have always been a "must buy" for me. They're usually just the right amount of difficulty with puzzle factors to make the game rewarding. Zelda II goes relatively simple on the puzzle factor but it goes off the charts on the difficulty. The final palace is absurd. This is probably the hardest game I've ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Congratulations, OP. :)

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
Zelda II: great game or greatest game?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

48 Hour Boner posted:

Zelda II: great game or greatest game?

It certainly inspires a 'troubleshooting' mindset in the game-player.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Now go and beat Master Takahashi's Adventure Island and come back to us with that thread title.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Long rear end cords everywhere but the controller. That is truly hosed-up.

Congrats, I could never beat it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao those cords are hilarious.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I never beat Zelda II when i was a kid, but i'm gonna have to take issue with your claim of it being the "hardest game ever". It was hard, but Friday the 13th was impossible without a game genie.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I loved Zelda 2 as a kid. I didn't beat it till I was a little bit older and got the NES GAME ATLAS Player's Guide to figure out where the hell everything was but I can still navigate Death Mountain. Funny enough a few years ago I tried playing it again and my NES cart got this really weird glitch where the values of all the damage was reversed: The strongest enemies hurt me as much as the starting blobs and the blobs where the most dangerous enemies in the game.

Oh, and check out two of the dudes from RedLetterMedia take on Zelda 2 on Previous Recorded as they break down the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJyCmyI5d4Y&t

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Thanks a million

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I never beat Zelda II when i was a kid, but i'm gonna have to take issue with your claim of it being the "hardest game ever". It was hard, but Friday the 13th was impossible without a game genie.

I still remember when my brother beat Zelda II and I agree that Friday the 13th was difficult as were all of the LJN games. I remember the Karate Kid game was just pointless garbage and none of my friends could figure out how to surf in T&C Surf Designs. I can't really think of which game was hardest though since I had a friend who was the ultimate game master who beat every game. I recall a time when he rented the original TMNT game and beat it after calling the Nintendo hotline for advice.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

^
Holy poo poo T&C Surf Design was so hard. I could almost never get the surfing down, that game was awful.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I don't remember playing that game. If it's even harder than Zelda II, then gently caress that.

And yea, the controller cord is 2.5 feet in length for the NES Classic Edition. I had preordered a wireless controller from Amazon but it went out of stock before they sent me mine. So, I sat there like a kid again, sitting/laying on the floor in close proximity to the TV, playing NES.

johnny sack fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 27, 2016

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
Zelda II is my favorite zelda. I played it a million times when i was a kid, just played through it again last summer. Its fun to replay with different builds; my favorite is dumping all points into attack power and making glass cannon link. Grew up playing this with my dad, he was the first person I ever saw beat it. RIP dad

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

oh f---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2VnS8mwW-g

noooooo

this haunts my dreams decades later

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bobthenameless posted:

oh f---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2VnS8mwW-g

noooooo

this haunts my dreams decades later

I got a confession to make here

Until literally just now I thought that was a frown, not the top of his nose

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's my second favorite, after Link to the Past, admittedly I played the original without any idea what the hell the game was and died constantly. Then the rest, I just had zero interest in anything the n64 had to offer.

Though I was surprised to find out that people hated Zelda 2, it's not true zelda said the die hards. It's hard, and yea it's not over head, but what made that bad?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It's not just that the final palace is hard. It's that the path to the palace wears you down so much that you barely have a chance to make progress unless you go out of your way to stockpile extra lives. I got to Shadow Link once and died before I could figure out his pattern. I've tried to replay Zelda 2 a few times over the years but always lose my enthusiasm somewhere around Death Mountain. Sure I could do it with save states, but what's the point?

Edit: It's definitely a great game, just extremely frustrating and kind of un-Zeldalike.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
When I was around 4 or 5, I watched my parents finally get to the Great Palace with all of the crystals and they paused the game right before you get to the area where the barrier comes down. We had to run into town for something and I just remember that being the longest ~20 minutes of my life (up to that point) because I was deathly afraid something would happen and we'd come back to a flashing screen on the TV. It didn't happen, but I did watch my step dad get his rear end handed to him and I don't think he wound up beating the game for several days after that. The flashing, red Ganon screen and his evil laughing scared the poo poo out of me as a young'un.

Also I remember eating Double Dip Crunch cereal around that time and now I wish it would come back.

• Locked thread