Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Actual game of the year
Picross 3D Round 2
Bad Rats 2
Advance Wars DS on the virtual console
Your Favorite Overrated Game: Remastered Edition
View Results

• Locked thread
Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
What was that leaderboard for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Don't get me wrong, Overwatch is a pretty good game you can pick up and play, and it feels satisfying when things go your way, BUT

The hero and diversity rhetoric? It's a competitive game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
tfw no quantum break nomination

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

spit on my clit posted:

for fucks sake, overwatch?? they couldnt have picked a better game like Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden 2???

Isn't BSUJG2 vaporware like star citizen at this point

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

lmao it just cut out.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
See you at ahdq gamers

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

spit on my clit posted:

im trying to think of a pokemon go joke but its not coming to mind

Pokemon Go to the polls?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Dan Didio posted:

tfw no quantum break nomination

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I stopped watching, did they show anything good at the end?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

Pokemon Go to the polls?

Hmm..no, that's terrible.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Guy Goodbody posted:

my friend jeff from the overwatch team took a selfie on stage

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

No.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fargin Icehole posted:

Don't get me wrong, Overwatch is a pretty good game you can pick up and play, and it feels satisfying when things go your way, BUT

The hero rhetoric? It's a competitive game.

Seriously it annoys me that Blizzard is acting like Overwatch has some amazing heroic narrative when it couldn't be further from it. There's nothing heroic about what you do in Overwatch. You just shoot other people to accomplish some vague, pointless goal. All the story in the shorts is completely disconnected from the game itself. There's no good integration of story and gameplay, which is what a game should strive for.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Wait when did Run the Jewels play, did I miss it

Also the writing in Overwatch is loving terrible and every time they try to be TF2 with their animated shorts it's cringeworthy. TF2 literally retrofitted its plot onto the game five years after it had already came out while being a wacky dumb comedy and that story was more suspenseful, more interesting, and generally better-written than Overwatch.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

[in Slavoj Zizek voice]

Internet Kraken posted:

There's nothing heroic about what you do in Overwatch.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Internet Kraken posted:

There's no good integration of story and gameplay, which is what a game should strive for.

or games could just be fun

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

Wait when did Run the Jewels play, did I miss it

It was earlier. The audio was bad and they had to censor themselves, it kinda sucked sadly

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Shouldn't valve get the award for Overwatch having the best game design?

I mean it is basically TF3.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Internet Kraken posted:

Seriously it annoys me that Blizzard is acting like Overwatch has some amazing heroic narrative when it couldn't be further from it. There's nothing heroic about what you do in Overwatch. You just shoot other people to accomplish some vague, pointless goal. All the story in the shorts is completely disconnected from the game itself. There's no good integration of story and gameplay, which is what a game should strive for.

I think I read a few Bios from the heroes before the game launched, and the writing was just, really, really bad.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think it means anything because heroism, diversity, esports, inclusiveness, gaming community, etc. are buzzwords people throw out in place of coming up with any meaningful speech.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
the individual hero personalities in overwatch come across okay, mostly due to good voice acting and character design, but the writing and attempts to place them into any sort of coherent narrative are incredibly terrible. Team Fortress 2 managed a more serious and compelling story and it was about 2 groups of immortal clones arguing with a wizard about halloween.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Then again that other Blizzard guy was going off about Reddit and Harambe so maybe they're better off sticking with buzzwords.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:boop:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
also, i liked the part of the game awards where it was an excuse for nolan north to stand up for the little guy, disney, against the greedy fatcats who voiced a henchman in a naruto movie once

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Endorph posted:

also, i liked the part of the game awards where it was an excuse for nolan north to stand up for the little guy, disney, against the greedy fatcats who voiced a henchman in a naruto movie once

Do more research.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Overall I think the funniest part of the night was watching the incredibly awkward verbal blow job the announcer gave Kojima.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

or games could just be fun

Of course. Overwatch was fun for awhile too. Blizzard acting like its any more than a silly shooting game is the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm happy Overwatch won and not Inside. Inside winning would have been the worst possible timeline

• Locked thread