Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

SOTC remake on PS4 is smooth and good, right?

Yeah I had zero issues and it's stunning. Plus I got glasses for the first time in my life so everything looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I didn't notice on the first playthrough that you can actually see the second Trico before it's introduced.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

You make it outside and Trico is splashing around in the water and then looks up, there's another trico that is hopping between some ruined rafters way far above and disappears rather fast.

The game doesn't prompt you to look up or anything, it's remarkably chilling and subtle.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
i fired up the ps2 to replay the original sotc and its somehow better than i remembered it being. it still has THE best big open world i can think of, the density of "things to do" is so small and so far apart, and yet the place feels unknowable because of that AND because of the feeling of riding agro through this sunlit, empty shell of the earth. it has that alienating effect of a dream thats just too pleasant and, figuratively and literally, too bright. not a hostile nightmare, but this atmosphere that quietly suggests you're not supposed to be here. it's called the forbidden lands after all.

things like this confirm the issues i have with the remake's uncharted-esque fixation on "smoothing out kinks" like extending draw distance and adding more plant life. i get alot of people now have the ability to play sotc for the first time in some form and i don't hate that, and as far as remake/remaster stuff goes i get that this one's pretty solid on its own merits, but my problem with it is my problem with remakes in general: telling design decisions put into the remake, press (gently caress offff), publisher hype, etc all combines to create this smug idea that the remake is the correct way to play the game and the original is obsolete. articles, videos, info, general proof on the internet of the ps2 version existing is getting buried by all the news on the new shinier version, just as the remaster buried it before, and it sucks. i don't want originals to be forgotten as "needing improvement" because they do things the other versions won't, whether you like it or not, and that should have value by itself. especially sotc which feels so complete in what it does that any attempt at updating it will never not feel cynical to me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Flac posted:

i fired up the ps2 to replay the original sotc and its somehow better than i remembered it being. it still has THE best big open world i can think of, the density of "things to do" is so small and so far apart, and yet the place feels unknowable because of that AND because of the feeling of riding agro through this sunlit, empty shell of the earth. it has that alienating effect of a dream thats just too pleasant and, figuratively and literally, too bright. not a hostile nightmare, but this atmosphere that quietly suggests you're not supposed to be here. it's called the forbidden lands after all.

things like this confirm the issues i have with the remake's uncharted-esque fixation on "smoothing out kinks" like extending draw distance and adding more plant life. i get alot of people now have the ability to play sotc for the first time in some form and i don't hate that, and as far as remake/remaster stuff goes i get that this one's pretty solid on its own merits, but my problem with it is my problem with remakes in general: telling design decisions put into the remake, press (gently caress offff), publisher hype, etc all combines to create this smug idea that the remake is the correct way to play the game and the original is obsolete. articles, videos, info, general proof on the internet of the ps2 version existing is getting buried by all the news on the new shinier version, just as the remaster buried it before, and it sucks. i don't want originals to be forgotten as "needing improvement" because they do things the other versions won't, whether you like it or not, and that should have value by itself. especially sotc which feels so complete in what it does that any attempt at updating it will never not feel cynical to me.

Yeah, this is sort of how I feel about it, too. Though mentioning this type of thing in the PS4 thread is likely to get one easily booed.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Nothing that dude said is a real thing outside of whatever people he follows on twitter or whatever. People will still play the original, theyll still play the ps3 remake, and most people will make up their minds about what they prefer. This is similar to different vinyl pressings, cds, and remasters, but video game. There is no conspiracy to bury and hide the og, its all just in your head. Find different sources, stop reading the wannabe pitchfork media of video games if you cant look passed it, and remember that the majority of people dont ever articulate their opinion for everyone to read on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I thiiink I might enjoy the PS4 version out of all 3 releases because of "gamefeel", which the graphics contribute to I guess because of the lack of technical issues, but it's really hard to say as I haven't played the original in a while... I wish I still had my original copy after playing through the remake like 3 times + lots of time attack, but a lovely former roommate lost it somehow, but it's fine because I want to replace it with a nice fresh copy along with another copy of Ico that doesn't have a hideous cover.

So yeah maybe my opinion is sullied by the PS3 version which, when I initially bought it I assumed it had to be pretty much 1:1 to the original except visually better, with updated textures and framerate etc, Like I didn't have any trouble climbing the 16th colossus in the original nor in the remake, or if I did on the PS2 it was because I was figuring out how to get on his head, but after falling repeatedly from his arms on the PS3 version was really loving aggravating, which I don't think this game should be (unless you choose to play hard mode or time attack.) But yeah as far as hanging on to colossus or maneuvering around on them when they're moving I just can't believe how awful the PS3 version is. I've heard a few people explain why it's the way it is, from the PS3's architecture not being able to handle the physics, so it kinda shoehorned it in when it had a technically better physics system on the PS2, which would be weird considering how great Bluepoint did this time around. I've also heard the increase in frame rate makes your stamina decrease faster because the rate you lose stamina is determined by the frame rate, but it only ran at 30 fps and I can't imagine the PS2 version running at such a poor frame rate that consistently that that would actually be the case. It's a shame too because I've seen people post in the PS4 thread or elsewhere on the forums about the PS3 version and said it was terrible to play because of those reasons, which is lovely because I have a feeling there might've been a lot of people who experienced it first playing that version and had a similar experience, but otherwise might've really enjoyed it.

Actually I might prefer the PS2 version if I had I chance to replay it, but the pop in stuff really annoyed me (I might be thinking of the PS3 version, but I think it happened in the original, at least on the PS3 version I know it happened basically at least once on the way to every colossus..) and normally I don't really care about frame rate, particularly in these games, but it's nice having a solid 30 FPS on my PS4 with nice HD graphics and a customizable filter so you can kind of get it looking somewhat close to how you imagined the original looked or whatever. But I would say stuff like the goat paintings and other little things like Wander's face in general, particularly that weird death stare expression you sometimes see if the camera gets unfortunately close to his face, or the goat paintings and other little differences sometimes ruin the immersion. Otherwise it's pretty loving amazing how great it is without changing basically anything, except or adding detail that was already implied.

• Locked thread