Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Damaia Fireheart

"I'd have to agree with Asar on this one Iszera, it takes more to taint one's soul than a simple quirk of fate. If it's a part of who you are than we can help you- either to find some way to be rid of it, or to find some way to live with it. If you'd like, perhaps we could see how you feel in that form under less stressful circumstances..."

She smiles.

"I must admit, I am curious about that coat of yours... if properly groomed, I wager you could be the most stylish lycanthrope in the city."

Her smile never fades when she turns to Charity.

"I wouldn't worry too much about that dear. If we've taken them prisoner then we've already proven that we can best them once, and I do not think their odds will dramatically improve once bloodied, bound and disarmed. Besides, I'd rather have nineteen prisoners and one hidden assailant than twenty more corpses dedicated to empowering the Lord of Murder. Our prisoners can better help our investigation, and may even be able to change themselves for the better. And even if we should encounter one who would use our mercy against us..."

Her blade flashes inward and glances off her platemail with a clean ring.

Standard action: Attack self. Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+12 23 1d8+5 10 Miss!

"...I'm willing to take that chance. I can be stubbornly persistent."

Spending a surge, I suppose. I still have 11 more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Paziah

Paziah strolls up to Iszera, intending to say something about how her lack of rakshasha-ness was clear evidence that the end mattered as well as the means, but ends up getting distracted by the tiefling's stunt before she can get words out of her mouth. "Damaia? Are you ok? I realise I'm here to heal you and that this surely fills you with justifiably great confidence, but stabbing yourself in place of punctuation is still really weird."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Asar Raxia

Asar takes a step back from Damaia.

"I think the last thing we need to do is teach people even more to stab tieflings."

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Damaia Fireheart

"I wouldn't worry about it. I don' t imagine myself to be invincible, but between my equipment and our abilities I hope it will take more than a single blade in the heat of battle to send me to Final Judgement."

She taps the breastplate for good measure.

"It's good armor- turned aside a half dozen blows in that last fight alone. We should find a set for you Iszera- that outfit of yours doesn't protect a thing."

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Iszera

Looking at the metal covering the tiefling, Iszera wrinkled her nose.

"I appreciate the offer, but no thanks. It's loud, encumbering, and offends the senses on so many different levels that I wouldn't stand a day in a suit like that. I seriously don't know how you stand it. And don't tell me perfume, no amount of perfume can cover up the smell that emanates from that."

Pulling out her holy symbol from underneath her clothes, she let it drop onto her chest, "Besides, the Morninglord's brilliance shields and protects me. I would be no safer in thick hide armour as I am now."

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Damaia Fireheart

"I find that routine cleansing makes short work of any chance at odors, and the magically malleable nature of this particular armor makes even that it a simple task. And should the style offend you, simply find one that doesn't."

Her armor shifts as she speaks, eventually settling on an outfit that matches Iszera.

"Though if you're committed to this particular ensemble, I doubt the Morninglord would be offended if you tried dodging more. It would at least place less of a burden on our healing abilities."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Charity

All the theatrics kind of pass by Charity, who seems lost in thought. "You know, ever since we found out that these guys have cells all over the place, it's been kind of bothering me. I mean, sure, we're here on Waterdeep's behalf, but...Baldur's Gate is my hometown. I'd like to send a message to a friend there to see if maybe we can find out some more stuff from there, just in case." She chews her lip for a moment, looking slightly embarrassed. "Only, uh...I don't know how to write. Never really went to school, and all. So maybe smart guy here," she claps Asar on the shoulder, "can help me with that while you guys scout out the Blind Bull, and we'll join you there in, like...an hour? Or y'all can go shopping for Iszera. Either way, shouldn't be too long. And when we do get some information back, it'll be worth it."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Asar Raxia

"Well, and I don't say this as a brag, but I'm quite good at scrivener work. No charge, given circumstances, of course! If, er, you really don't think they'll need you and I there..."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Charity

"It'll be fine!" Charity replies. "We'll be back before anything drastic happens, and Damaia has just proven how tough she is. Besides, it really won't take long. I swear by my patron."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Charity and Asar

You are able to find an office of a local couriers guild, a moderately sized typical building in the South Ward willing to run a message to Baldur's Gate for 10gp; the price higher than normal due to them still being spooked by the caravan raids.

Maerwen, Damaia, Paziah, Iszera

You approach the Blind Bull, a two story tavern made of dark grey stone, with iron grates over the windows. The door is made of thick oak, painted bright red, and is large enough for any Large creature to comfortably fit through. The tavern itself is large, roughly 150 feet in either dimension, and it is filled with too many round tables to count in the center of the floor, and the walls are lined with booths, almost all of which are full, with many of the patrons both armed and armored. A stairway in the corner leads to another floor, no doubt the same. The kitchen prepares standard Waterdhavian fare, and the bar serves a range of ales and lagers ranging from cheap swill to rare, expensive brews prepared at small breweries, in addition to keeping a full stock of liquor. It’s a little surprising that a business this large could operate in this part of town.

Sweeping the area, you see all manner of deals being worked out between parties at the various tables in the restaurant. Near the middle of the dining hall you see a female dwarf wearing blackened leather armor sitting at a table with two empty chairs, the remaining three seating two humans and a half-elf, all three wearing plain street clothes and seeming to be out of place.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Damaia Fireheart

The dwarven woman was likely Sister Trela, but that left the identity of the others in question... who might they be? Guards? Higher or lower ranking members of the Deathstalkers? Someone the sister was trying to convert? Or were they waiting to meet up with new initiates?

They needed more information. Gliding through the tavern with ease Damaia finds a spot to exam the dwarven woman and see what she can learn about her and her companions.

Streetwise: 1d20+18 36
Perception: 1d20+7 25
Insight: 1d20+12 32

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Charity

Charity fixes some paper from the couriers to make sure she can get her message down; taking Asar to the side at a nearby table, she hands it to him. "Okay, so..." she pauses, chewing on her lip as she considers what to say, "this letter is gonna go to a guy named Thrassel. Guess I'd need to explain what I've been up to, so just...summarize all of that, with the whole cult business. Also that I'm with Kelemvor now. Actually, put that in first. I never really went back to him, after the church took me, so he'll probably be a bit miffed about that. But tell him it's really me, because who else would know he's got that awful pox-scar on his hairy back."

She gives the tiefling an awkward smile. "Sorry. I guess I hadn't really considered the implications of this letter until...well, just now. It's been a while since I left that life behind - but I know he can help us. He's got ways of finding out things. Or finding people who do. Anyway, uh, then put in the cult stuff, and tell him they might be working in Baldur's Gate as well, so he should be careful but if he can find out something about that, that'd be a great help." The paladin waits patiently until he finishes writing, then nods. "Okay. Read it back to me."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

The dwarf has long, braided red hair and a hammer resting at her side, made of blackened steel, lest anyone cause trouble. She speaks in a cool, yet somehow soothing tone with a neutral accent to the three apparent recruits gathered before her. She speaks to them of hope and of rebirth. Of justice and of revenge. Of immediate reward and of eternal salvation. Her speech is extremely compelling, and her audience seem eager to join her in her self-termed crusade.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Asar Raxia

Asar happily and patiently waits for Charity to finish talking entirely before he begins writing.

"Alright. Thrassel, Baldur's Gate. Deathstalkers, Cult of Bhaal. Charity, Kelemvor, pox scar, hair back. Careful...ok, let's see."

'To Thrassel, of Baldur's Gate:

This is Charity; it's been awhile since I saw that pox scar on that hairy back of yours, to get proof of my identity out of the way first. Since last we met, I have joined with the church of Kelemvor in Waterdeep. We aren't people of words so I'll keep this short. I and a group of others have been fighting against a secret and murderous cult dedicated to the former god of murder, Bhaal, and I have reason to believe they're acting in Baldur's Gate, too. I know how we split ways, but I'm worried. I need your help, but more then that, I need you to be on your guard for the deathstalkers. Write me back when you get this with any information you might manage to dig up. Be careful.

- Charity
'

He puts the paper down as he finishes reading out loud.

"How's that? Short and terse, but I assume that's the general feel you want."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Charity

As Asar reads to her, Charity remains quiet. It brings memories back to her; memories of the time she spent in Thrassel's gang, all the lessons the old dwarf taught her. The knowledge that he mourned her death...and that she never went back to him to tell him she wasn't quite as dead as everybody thought. She always thought he must have known, somehow; one of his friends seeing her on the street, bringing word back. Hearing words of her deeds. But she couldn't face him. Death had done them part, quite literally; it had seemed...inappropriate, somehow, to talk to him again.

When the tiefling asks her how it was, she's woken from her flashback reverie with a slight flinch and a Thayan swear under her breath at her lapse of attention. "Um...yes. That's..fine." She takes the paper and brings it over to a courier, giving them a description of the dwarf they needed to devlier the message to. "Here's ten extra; get there as quick as you can. When you find him, tell him you have a message, then get out. If you run into some of his goons, tell them the same; but also that it's for Thrassel's eyes only. They're not the most savory sort of people, but they won't harm a messenger...as long as you don't hang around too much."

Once the courier's off, she rejoins her tiefling companion. "Thanks for this. Seriously. Thrassel was - is - kind of important to me, and frankly, I wasn't sure who else to ask. Miss 'do you know who I am' Ruldegost doesn't seem like the type to bother with simple errands like this; and I'm not sure the other three like me very much yet." Charity gives him a sheepish smile. "Guess I gotta work on my personality, huh?" As the two of them step outside, she looks around. "I suppose we'd better head back to the others."

Paying 20g for the message.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Asar Raxia

Asar does not stare openly.

"Y-yes. Well, none of us really know much about any of us. We were put together under difficult circumstances, and I'm sure we all have our dark secrets, ahaha. J-joke. I'm not actually implying you or I have any kind of secret. Although, I do wonder..."

Charity gets a very not nervous in any way look

"...You said something earlier, when I asked you how the letter was, that I;m not sure I recognized. I am a man of words and pride myself on such; what could it be you spoke in?"

And then he suddenly blinks and gives a sheepish smile.

"Ahaha, sorry. Professional curiosity!"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Charity

Charity raises an eyebrow. Um...okay. I don't know if it's a good idea to tell this to the others - yet, anyway - but," she pauses, taking a look around her to make sure nobody really overhears her, "I was born in Baldur's Gate, but my parents were Thayan." Before Asar can react, she goes on, "they fled that hellhole years ago; but they thought it was important for me to know the tongue. Raised me with it. Some cultural stuff, some history too... it was their home, you know? As much as it sucked. Anyway, I try not to speak it too much. People that aren't Thayan tend not to look kindly upon it." She studies the tiefling for a moment as they walk, then gives him a knowing smile. "Pretty sure you did recognize it, though. Take a tip from me; don't go playing cards. You've got a terrible pokerface."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Asar Raxia

The tiefling gives a wry smile.

"Made it this far, didn't I? Got the information I wanted, didn't I? I'll spare you the backstory; your parents aren't the only refugees. That hopefully puts it well enough."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Asar and Charity show up to the Blind Bull and meet up with the others just in time to see the dwarf wrap up her sales pitch. The recruits smile and nod at her as they stand up and head for the door. The dwarf, however, stays seated and leans back in her chair.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Damaia Fireheart

Damaia considers things. Simply striding up and sitting down hadn't done so well at Daniel's establishment, but what sort of approach would work best for pretending to be a set of potential recruits...

Streetwise: 1d20+18 29
Insight: 1d20+12 31

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Welcome, my friends," the dwarf says. "Might I ask who you are, and how you've heard of me? And more importantly, what you've heard of me?"

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Damaia Fireheart

Damaia is all smiles as she introduces herself.

"Ela Shadowsborn, also known as Devil's Child, Gutter Trash, Demon Whore, Crimson Charlatan and occasionally simply a well-spat You, at your service. As to the remainder of your questions Madame Dwarf, that remains to be seen, because I am not sure who you are.

My friends are few and my assailants many, and I've been booted from taverns and temples from here to Neverwinter. But I have heard of a dwarven woman by the name of Trela, one with a certain penchant for the lost, outcast and downtrodden. They say she gathers them to her and offers them things they do not have... purpose, bond, hope... opportunity.

She sounds like an interesting woman, might you know where I can find her in this establishment?"

Bluff: 1d20+18 22

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Charity

Charity, for her part, simply follows the group, though her demeanor drastically changes. All symbols of her patron have been covered or removed; and though she still walks with the stride of a warrior, she keeps her face hidden, turning the scarred part away from anyone who might look. Her expression is miserable, and distrusting, as anyone who bears such scars might. Though she is not a competent liar - those parts were reserved for others in her gang, the ones that could distract the targets - she knows how to carry herself to be unassuming; in this case, the part of a leper or someone with a similar disfiguring disease, a hopeless soul ready for salvation.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Ah yes, you have found the one you seek. And so you seek redemption for past misdeeds then? Or is it revenge you seek? We can help you with both. We can help you strike at those who have wronged you, help you find some meaning in your life. You can start a new life among a new family, one who will value you no matter what you've done in your past." She pauses for a breath, "If that interests you, please, let me know, and I can help you get started in your new life with your new family."

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Damaia Fireheart

"Remarkably forward, aren't you darling? You're offering retribution and a new home and you haven't even bought me dinner yet. Such a generous offer too- what if I decided that I desired vengeance against the Sage of Shadowdale himself? It would be a rather difficult request for any shepherd of the lost. You must have a great deal of faith in your abilities."

She looks at the other three would-be recruits.

"I'm curious about the scale of this mission- what are you three getting from this?"

Diplomacy: 1d20+14 23

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Asar Raxia

Asar lays it on at least a little thick, but the man can lie.

"My name's Sunsetter. Only REAL name I've known. I can't speak for everyone, but everything you say, it sounds...well, it sounds real good. Real, real good. But what about...what about what happens after? I'm a Tiefling, Sister Trela, my soul, it ain't my own! The demons got ahold of it! Can you...can you save me, Sister Trela? I'll do anythin'!"

He even gets a few tears squeezed out form the corners of his eyes as he pleads. To his defense, it's easy to be sincere when you actually are curious.

Bluff: 1d20+18 35

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Of course we can save you, my friend. Our lord does not pay any mind to mere devils and demons. He will secure a spot for your soul in the afterlife for you." She then turns to Damaia, replying, "Ah, but I do have that much faith and more in my lords abilities... once he awakens. We must awaken him first, and that is where we all come in. Now... let me know if you're in, and I can make arrangements to get you started..."

The first of the three recruits, a female elf, responds to Damaia, "Revenge. My husband left me for some common tavernwench. That'll be the last mistake he'll ever make." The second, a young human, maybe 18, replies, "I just want a home, a family to call my own and a cause to work for. I'm an orphan, and I've never had anyone to care about, or had anyone care about me. I'd do anything for a family..." The third, a male human in his 30s simply crosses his arms and answers, "It's personal."

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Damaia Fireheart

"A rather all-purpose benefactor- just who might this lord of yours be and why is he proving to be such an exceptionally sound sleeper?"

As vague as the Sister's recruitment pitch is, it's the plight of her fellow recruits that draws her interest.

"An adulterous husband? What sort of man was he, and what was your relationship like before that? What do you hope happens to him?"

"No family or cause? How'd you survive? Do you have any fond memories of your life?"

Diplomacy: 1d20+14 19

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

The elf bristles. "What kind of man do you think he is? And really, what do you think I want to happen to his sorry rear end?" she says before storming off.

The human responds, "No, not really. I don't know how I survived, but I'm glad I'm finding something now. I've gotta be off now though. Hopefully I'll be seeing you around!" He then walks off with the older human.

Sister Trela responds sharply, "You will learn in time, should you decide to join. Just know that he certainly is powerful enough to aid you in your endeavors. Now are you interested in what I can offer you or not?"

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Damaia Fireheart

"Interested, perhaps, but I'm far more interested in what exactly you'd have us do in your little gathering. Hopefully it'll be a little less vague then the rest of your offer."

Bluff: 1d20+18 30

And gauging her response with Insight: 1d20+12 28

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Asar Raxia

"What kinda master can just ignore devils and demons? Is he a god?"

Asar is probably very good at acting like he actually wants to know.

"Can gods do that sort of thing?"

Bluff: 1d20+18 25

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Our greeting would be a simple introduction to your new family, and an oath to join our family and serve our lord," she says with a smile. She then turns towards Asar, smiling even wider and nodding. "Yes, gods can certainly do that. Don't worry my friend, you will be saved if you join us." She pushes her chair back slightly. "So, everyone, what are your thoughts? Will you meet us to join our family?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Charity

Charity pipes up from her corner of the group. "Um..." Her voice is meek as she nods. "I'll...I'll go. I had to leave my old friends because of..." her words fade as she helplessly gestures at her scarred face. "I just want to belong. And I can fight, too, if that's what you need." She doesn't know if there is anything in her words that sounds true. But she performs the role. They had to go in there, right? Someway. Not just murder her in the tavern. They weren't getting anywhere with questions. Let's just get it over with.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Damaia Fireheart

"Well my dear, I don't usually swear blood oaths on my first meeting, but I will come along and see what your other family members have to say. Perhaps they'll be more talkative than this bunch."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Alright, meet us at 243 Blackbriar Lane tonight at 8 bells," she says.

As you arrive, you find the group of three from earlier, as well as a dwarf and a gnome that you did not yet meet. Sister Trela arrives and ushers you into the building, down a long hall, into the cellar and through a corridor dug into the earth before finally arriving in a roughly 35x35 room with a makeshift altar on the far wall, a bronze skull with rubies for eyes and a silvered dagger sitting atop it. In the room already are six figures wearing red robes, similar to the ones the attackers wore at the start of your journey. "Welcome, my friends. Welcome to your new family. Today we will swear an oath to each other, to protect and defend. And an oath to bring our Father back to life, so that he may guide us in finding vengeance against our foes... today we swear a blood oath to work to restore Bhaal to his former glory, in order to set our wrongs right, and to set the cosmos right again..." She retrieves the dagger, holding it up in the air to prepare the ceremony. "Come, then, one by one, and join me in this oath." The recruits line up and begin to file towards her...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Damaia Fireheart

Damaia quickly moves to the front of the line before making a sudden about-face.

"Sorry darling, but I'm starting to have second thoughts on this one. And quite frankly, so should the rest of us."

First she turns to the elven woman.

"Betrayal is a bitter draught and you have every right to be angry at the man who wronged you. You are angry and seek retribution, but the Seldarine have blessed your people with wondrous longevity and you will likely see the end of your troubles with enough time. You put a great deal of yourself into your marriage, and once reconciliation is impossible it's time to focus on yourself. You have time to mourn and rage over your loss, but time to heal as well. There's so much you could do with your time now that he's out of your life. You could practice with art or weaponry to work through your aggression, or take up a craft or hobby that brings you joy. You need not pursue anything like marriage so soon, you have time enough to try living alone or dallying with a charming acquaintance or twelve as you decide for yourself what you want out of a romantic partner or if you even want one at all.

If this sounds like trite advice, it is because I know neither your tale nor the depths of your heart, so I ask you this... what do you believe you will gain from this? Supposing you do see your faithless husband destroyed, what do you think will happen next? You will be complicit in whatever deeds have been wrought and I do not believe they will let you walk away once your vengeance is achieved. You may see the ruin of your husband, and many more to follow him- will all of them be so deserving of your fury?

Your husband was a man unworthy of the years you sacrificed in marriage... is he worth sacrificing your remaining centuries of happiness just to see him end early?"

Next the young man.

"If you want a family I suspect you can do better than this one. Figure out what it is you can do well and what you love, and if it's something other than collecting daggers in your back you'll find a better-fitting family elsewhere. The Deathstalkers could be your family, but it would be the sort of family who starve you in the cellar and treat you with a thousand acts of cruelty before one act of kindness to deceive you into thinking that they actually care deep down inside. You might be so alone that you're willing to kill and die to find a family, but you don't need to so far. I don't know you, but I know this city, and I know there's something better for you. You may have tried and failed before, but the City of Splendors is a large one and you will do better with a little bit of help... just, not from them."

And the rest of the new recruits.

"What did she promise you? Companionship, wealth, power vengeance, forgiveness, redemption, that the heavens themselves would be reshaped to make a place for you? She promises so much because there is so little that the dead can actually deliver. I don't know your stories, but if you take her deal I know how they'll end.

Your will provide corpses. The first ones will likely be the vagrants, the outcasts, the weak, the desperate and the downtrodden, the sort of people that she recruits from... others like you. Eventually you may move onwards to harder targets such as caravan guards, the watch or maybe even the retinue of some of the lords and ladies in power. If none of that troubles you, then perhaps you'll be interested in hearing how your task plays out.

The final corpse will always be your own, because the only gift the Lord of Murder has ever been generous with is the one in his title. Maybe you'll be spent buying time to retreat from the guards or a wandering band of heroes, maybe one of your brothers or sisters will take the opportunity to remove a potential rival, or maybe you'll just be offered up on the altar in hopes of strengthening the corpse lord, but no matter the reason, it has always ended the same way.

Centuries ago he sired countless progeny across the lands and years, among men and elves and even giants and dragons. After he was slain in the Time of Troubles his spawn clashed with each other in a desperate struggle over their father's throne. Be they fair- or foul-hearted it did not matter, all of them would either willingly stride into the conflict or be hunted down for their heritage. He piled up the corpses of his children and clergy alike to amass enough power to restore himself... and he failed.

This is the lord she recruits for... a mortal assassin who scavenged godhood from the cast-off power of the lord of the dead, and was cut down only a few hundred miles away from here by another mortal thief who scavenged his godhood in return. One who expended the greatest of his remaining assets in his first desperate bid to return from the brink and has been further reduced to harvesting whatever his remaining followers can con out of the most desperate souls in Waterdeep. There is nothing for you here. Power is not given amongst the Deathstalkers, it is taken, and if you came into this chamber with anything other than murder in your heart then it will certainly be taken from you.

So now you have your decision. You can step forward onto the road of ruin to kill and die for promises as empty as his throne, or you can walk away. I cannot promise you everything under the heavens because that's not something I can give, but I can promise you this- leave now before you do something you'll regret, and I'll do what I can to help you to the best of my ability."

Diplomacy: 1d20+14 30

• Locked thread