Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
nvm tools broke to poo poo.

SpaceClown fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I first played wasteland in 2011 after spending quite a lot of time seriously playing Fallout 1 and 2 in an in depth manner. It's funny because a few months later Wasteland 2 was announced and I was pretty hype.

The result was not as good as I hoped, but W2 was still decent. Wasteland 3 looks very good though... depending on how much they cut from the cgi trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9SvLO27K7g

Thoughts?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I'm old....

I played the first Wasteland on a C-64 when I was barely a teen in the 80ies, together with other contemporary rpgs like Ultima V, Bard's Tale 3, Demon's Winter....plenty of other games. I only understood many of the gameplay elements and text (since English isn't my native language) years later when I replayed it on my first pc in the 90ies.

It was strange how immersive the game was and how different from other games. Monks with Visa card signs, all the weirdness inside Project Darwin, getting a Proton Axe.....no other rpg really captivated me that much (except maybe Ultima VII), until Fallout came out.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 21, 2016

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hammerstein posted:

I'm old....

I played the first Wasteland when I was barely a teen in the 80ies. Together with other contemporary rpgs like Ultima V, Bard's Tale 3, Demon's Winter....plenty of other stuff.

It was strange how immersive the game was and how different. Monks with Visa card signs, all the weirdness inside Project Darwin, getting a Proton Axe.....no other rpg really captivated me that much (except maybe Ultima VII), until Fallout came out.

It's a pretty good game. It's aged surprisingly well when you consider its almost 30 years old. It's no more obtuse to play than a Roguelike.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

In hindsight I would say that the only weak point is that Base Cochise had no real villain and that killer robots are a bit boring, even when the designs are over the top. The game had lots of interesting characters like Finster or Fat Freddy, and they got even better when you read the "wrong" paragraphes" in the copy protection book.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hammerstein posted:

In hindsight I would say that the only weak point is that Base Cochise had no real villain and that killer robots are a bit boring, even when the designs are over the top. The game had lots of interesting characters like Finster or Fat Freddy, and they got even better when you read the "wrong" paragraphes" in the copy protection book.

It did have a "real" villian, it was that computer that said like 2 things as soon as you entered the base.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I read about Fountain of Dreams but never found a copy of it in any stores back then. And in later years I never looked back.

Since I just looked up the release date of Wasteland an old memory just crept up: Sentinel Worlds: Future Magic

It went completely unnoticed in 1988, since it had to compete with games like Wasteland, Ultima V and Pool of Radiance (that game was great), but was actually quite fantastic.

I loved how your crew members looked like 80ies action heroes, see Ripley and The Terminator here.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
drat im gonna have to try this out, it looks sick.

• Locked thread